Wet Dog Head Shake In Whippet

bcubed

We have a whippet and a mininiature schnauzer. In July last year both of them began shaking their heads like wet dogs do. We have spent over $2000 in vets bills having them both put under anaesthetic for ear examinations. We have used flea and mite collars, they have been treated with several different antibiotics and have also been treated with cortisone. We have used several prescribed ear medications. Their ears are clean and they have no appaprent allergies. Nothing has helped. They scratch their necks behind the ear. Now both our cats bnow have it but not as bad as the dogs. If anyone can help I would be exteremely grateful

I'm assuming the vet has also prescribed the spot on stuff that does all worms, fleas, and mites? Worked a treat for my dog when she got ear mites...

The only thing that I can think of that will be affecting your dogs AND cats is ear mites...

T.

We have a whippet and a mininiature schnauzer. In July last year both of them began shaking their heads like wet dogs do. We have spent over $2000 in vets bills having them both put under anaesthetic for ear examinations. We have used flea and mite collars, they have been treated with several different antibiotics and have also been treated with cortisone.

Is it safe to assume from what you've written (refer my highlights) that you're saying your dogs were both found with having ear infections? (Otherwise, why the antibiotics and cortisone?)

Do you use spot-ons regularly? Is it possible THAT's what is causing irritation?

Edited by Erny

if its dogs ANDcats- i would suggest ear mites as my first thought too.

Did the vet prescribe any drops specifically for EAR mites?Or do a check for them in particular? Cats and dogs both need treating if it is .

What 'spot ons ' do you use, and how often? these can be irritating in themselves.... Do you mean the dogs & cats wear insecticidal collars? These could be a cause of irritation ;)

Edited by persephone

What the OP hasn't mentioned is the 'findings' of the initial veterinary examination. Although that doesn't guarantee that the same thing is happening over again, it is something I'm curious about.

As Kirislin suggests, constant reinfection may be the cause.

Are your cats outdoor cats?

Do your dogs go to the dog park and come into contact with other dogs?

Especially after reading the info page I put the link to. It says although they're called ear mites they're not just in ears, they can be anywhere. It mentions treating the base of their tails because when they curl up to sleep their heads are near their tails and they can re infect their ears. Sounds like the treatment needs to be fairly specific, not just a drop of something behind the ears to treat the whole dog but you need to treat the specific areas of infection. I've learnt something today.

if its ear mites then there is a lot of very dark wax...and it has a particular odour

i treat mine with paraffin oil ( do that with the odd mite i get with the birds too)

have never not got rid of them this way and it takes very little effort

i just syringe some into the ear and massage it

cheap as too

but youd really have to rule out any other cause

i have actually seen the little tiny blighters...little weeny things...white moving almost invisible to the naked eye...but not every time

just check with the vet

if they think it is ok

it was my vet who whispered to me not to waste big money but to try the paraffin oil

grateful to her...!

It sounds like ear mites to me. I doubt that all four animals would succumb to the same allergy. What did the vet state that your dogs had in the past.

The only other thing I was thinking was that you may be using a bad brand or an out of date spot or other product, e.g. shampoo, animal perfume, etc.

This product is fab for ear problems, including mites.

Thornit - also ships to Australia :eek:

http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/popup....6&p_i=35246

I was recommended it from a cocker forum when I got my cocker a few years back. I would use a small pinch every few weeks and never had any ears problems with him or any of my dogs. Keeps their ears clean and smelling great :(

• 4 weeks later...
I'm assuming the vet has also prescribed the spot on stuff that does all worms, fleas, and mites? Worked a treat for my dog when she got ear mites...

The only thing that I can think of that will be affecting your dogs AND cats is ear mites...

T.

Correct

We have a whippet and a mininiature schnauzer. In July last year both of them began shaking their heads like wet dogs do. We have spent over $2000 in vets bills having them both put under anaesthetic for ear examinations. We have used flea and mite collars, they have been treated with several different antibiotics and have also been treated with cortisone.

Is it safe to assume from what you've written (refer my highlights) that you're saying your dogs were both found with having ear infections? (Otherwise, why the antibiotics and cortisone?)

Do you use spot-ons regularly? Is it possible THAT's what is causing irritation?

The vet tried everything after flea, mite teatments, ear inspections (all clean) in order to close all possible doors. We use Frontline and have been doing so for years, ie long before this happened, with no adverse results