What Made You Choose Your Breed?

haylz27

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. :rofl: My name is Hayley, and I'm from Victoria. Our family currently owns a beagle and jack russell.

What made you choose your favourite breed? What do you love about them? Do you currently own this breed or want to? I personally love Australian Shepherds... There's just something about them. They have such personalities, they can be goofy, are intelligent, and are just everything I'm looking for in a breed. I still have yet to get my own Aussie though. I can't wait though!! ;)

I thought this question might be fun. ;)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Dogzonline Hayley ;) I am only new myself and wow what a great place to be ;)

I have Kelpies and have had for the past 5 years now. Why a Kelpie, well they are my all time fave breed :rofl: I remember going to my great grandfaters dairy farm and watching his dogs work and was so amazed by how smart they were, this is a wonderful childhood memory. The look, the temperment, trainability, loyalty and love they show is amazing. My dogs are of course active but they also love to come inside and chill with the family, all round a great dog :rofl:

We have 5 acres now and have had for nearly 6 years so when we had the room to move, Kelpies were very high on the list. So now, I am living my dream and only 9 days ago our first litter was born :rofl:

When I was a teenager I was running down a hill at a park on the Gold Coast and a big hairy Old English Sheepdog was running up the hill. We collided, rolled down the hill together and it was LOVE!

Mind you I only ever had the one OES (which I got to choose as a pup from a breeder when I was 16) as Phobie could never be replaced. We all adored her and treated her like a lap dog - dress ups and shopping trips. I still remember mum making a big silverside for dinner one night (we had guests) and Phobie took it boiling hot straight off the tray in the kitchen and inhaled it.

All my other dogs since then have been in need of a home, pure breds and cross breeds, all mainly furry things. My first staffy was 15 years ago and they continue to be the breed I take in when I can because of their general attitude. And the talking - I love that.

Since being on DOL I have been following the pug thread a lot and I figure when I am too old to manage a muscly staffy I might take up pugs because I really like their attitude as well.

I have a Finnish Lapphund and a Swedish Vallhund.

When I was getting the Lappie I had quite specific requirements. Me and OH worked full-time and I had an elderly corgi with a bad back and pet rabbits that lived in the house. I wanted a dog that would be sensitive and low drive and easy going, but for myself I wanted a larger dog and something with a bit of independence and intelligence that might play fetch or tug with me. OH just wanted a dog he could cuddle with. I have a thing for spitz breeds, so the Lappie turned out to be just right. Love my Lappie and will always have one, I think. They are gentle, easy, sweet and cuddly. But Kivi has a nice independent streak that keeps me on my toes. ;)

The Vallhund was a bit of a "maybe this will work" thing. We had just lost our corgi and wanted to get an outgoing, active smaller dog that would keep up with Kivi and withstand his rough wrestling games. I was still after a hyper intelligent dog with a bit of independence. OH wanted another corgi, but I didn't. We thought about a Shiba, but were a bit worried we wouldn't handle the busyness very well. We like our dogs to settle well and relax with us when we're not doing stuff. In retrospect, I think we would have been fine. ;) Erik our little Vall is pretty busy! He is extremely intelligent and if I don't give him things to do he makes his own entertainment. He is tough, strong, and bold, which we love. He's pretty drivey and plays a mean game of tug with me anytime I want. He's a little too working dog for me, but I do have a lot of fun training him because he's so easy and clever. He gives the most active cuddles a dog could give. Amazing!

I actually can't remember exactly how I fell in love with Labradors, but I think it all started around the time I was in early high school, and the girl around the corner owned a Golden Retriever. It was such a lovely dog, and different to what we'd owned growing up (maltese, yorkies and aussie terriers - small dogs!) I remember thinking I'd love one too, but would prefer a Lab, which was strange cos I'd always been a lover of dogs with a longer coat. Labs were the first dog that made me go against that trend! I guess it was stuck in my mind (and heart!) getting a Lab for many years, that I finally got one of my own as an adult as the parents wouldn't allow me to get a larger dog growing up. Now I own 2 Labs, and my Dad has fallen in love with Labs too and is desperate for his own! ;)

Hey Hayley, and welcome to DOL!!! It's a great to get so much information, I love it!!!

I own an Australian Shepherd and she's about 8 and a half months old ;) how time flies!!!!! She has been MY first dog - I'm at uni and have been for the last 3 years in the city so I couldn't really get a dog, but now i'm out in a Gatton (a small town) for uni, last holidays was the time to finally get one!! We've always had dogs in the family, but she's my first, and she's the greatest dog (I totally understand why you love them!!! ;) :rofl: ), so loyal, obedient, easy going, nothing phases her and just has a beautiful temp (sorry i'm a bit biased!!). I was always going to get a working breed, as I love their traits and they just 'fit' with my lifestyle so well, and while I was looking around, I was mainly focused on Border Collies... Then I saw a picture of a blue merle aussie, and that was it!!!!! All my time and effort went into looking and looking, and I found my girl!!! I can tell you that i'll never not own an Australian Shepherd!!!! Before all that (this was around june/july last year), I had never even heard of the Australian Shepherd!!!

So that's my story, not too exciting, but Lottie is the best thing that's happened to me in a long time!!! :rofl:

My OH was being very fussy about what breed - he would dismiss breeds just by looking at a picture! When I showed him a photo of a Keeshond he was sold! They ticked all our boxes - fun, active, cheeky, good personalities and overall a dog that could keep up with our fairly active lifestyle. We loved the amount of fur, too! It turns out they are a perfect fit and I will never live without at least one.

Once we got Jedi we absolutely fell in love with spitz breeds in general. So when we were looking for a second dog, we were deciding between a Samoyed and a Finnish Lapphund. We chose the Lappie after experiencing lappie cuddles for the first time! ;) The other reasons we went for the lappie was because they are a working breed so would be good for dog sports, would keep up with our lifestyle and would be a bit more on the go than Jedi. I absolutely LOVE how she is always ready to go (work/play/run/etc) but has a really nice off-switch. She is crazy and a LOT of fun but gives the best cuddles! It's the best of both worlds.

I love Sibes because they are independent and happy just to be around you without being clingy; love exercise; have the loveliest temperaments; don't get stinky despite all the hair; and for me personally - Micha whilst being an active dog is so calm and well mannered and just a pleasure to live with. I was attracted to the breed not just because they are beautiful but because they have a great temperament and fit all my requirements re size, exercise etc.

I ended up with my beagle because I wanted a smaller dog that could still keep up with the Sibe, an active dog with an outgoing temperament but a good nature, nothing too high maintenance coat wise, and obviously something I liked the look of!

After owning a beagle for three years now I just love the breed, I think they have great potential as dog sports dogs and Daisy is nice and food driven which makes training fun. She is quick to learn and loves to work. I will definitely have another beagle (probably my next dog) and another Sibe, although I won't have more than one Sibe at a time.

Our current puppy is GSP number 3 for us and is just the best dog in the world.

I love everything about them, especially that even though they are quite a big breed they think it perfectly natural that they should spend the evening curled up on your lap, even if your lap isn't big enough to accommodate them, they don't care as long as they are cuddled up with you.

Interestingly they are often "not recommended" for first time dog owners but we are so glad that we didn't know this at the time otherwise we might have missed out on owning such wonderful dogs. We got our first GSP puppy when our first child was just 6 months old and he was just awesome with her, one of my favorite photos is of the two of them raiding the pantry together with stuff everywhere.....they were partners in crime! Now that baby is 17 years old and sleeps with our newest pup on her bed most nights (before I go in and tell him to get off and get on his bed!) and I feel like this new four legged 'baby' has completed our family.

Edited by fiveplusone

Welcome to DOL Hayley. I fell in love with Wire Haired Fox Terriers (WHF) in my youth. I used to help out at the local hunt in Yorkshire, and they had Wiries who I adored. The wife of the Master of the Hunt made me a gift of a Foxie bitch pup. She mentored me and I bred from my first girl. I kept one of her second litter bubs, but never used her to breed from. I got married and moved overseas and the dogs stayed with my Mum. When I returned to England I eventually adopted a dog from the local pound. It turned out to be a mini poodle. Since I returned to Australia to live I have had a black Mini Poodle (RIP) and I must say I really love that breed.

I currently have a WHFT from a breeder in NSW who no longer breeds these dogs. He is sterilized and my failful follower ;) At the moment I have a Toy Poodle in as a foster, very cute, tiny thing.

Hi Hayley, welcome to DOL

I have Samoyeds.

I first saw a Sammie at a dog show sitting calmly ontop of his trolley collecting cuddles and kisses from everyone, I was totally amazed with this dog who had such power and grace and was such a people lover.

We were after something active, friendly and a little bit of a challenge. I like grooming so the fluffy coat is a plus and how could I go past such a beautiful shining white dog! Nothing cuddles like a Sammie and they have the most entertaining personlities.

They are a multi use dog, which gives me plenty of options in dog sports and activities, currently my older male is being trained for his obediance title and I am really thinking about getting him into agility, herding or sledding as well.

I have always had large guarding breeds (Rotti's & Dobes)

My last Dobe died when I was 33 weeks pregnant. I wanted a dog that was smaller, not guardy, low shedding hair, but not a full on grooming requirement like a Poodle. I also wanted a dog with a rock solid temperment as I had young kids and although they are monitored closely with the dogs I didn't want an overly reactive dog I wanted a dog that I could do agility and obedience with - didn't have to be a world beater but something I could have a play with and have fun.

I have always liked Whippets and they were always a "one day" dog.

Well that day has come and I now have two. They are better than I thought and have exceeded my expectations in regard to trainability and willingness in relation to agility and obedience. They don't require a huge amount of exercise and drape extremely well over the lounge. They are fantastic with the kids, and the kids and dogs seek each other out all the time.

The best thing is OH is totally sold on them and we will always have one gracing the arm chair

Hello and welcome.

We have a standard poodle. It was an easy choice for us. We wanted no shedding, no drooling and no smelly dog. Decent size (not too small) and smart too. The list was rather short and some dogs on it were too expensive or hard to find. It was an obvious choice and we have absolutely no regrets. In fact, we are looking to get another poodle soon.

Bruno.jpg

Edited by felix

I remember meeting a Staffordshire Bull Terrier at the beach and I was in love. What I love about the breed is that cute face, muscly build, medium size, short single coat, medium exercise level, intelligent, cheeky and most important that smoochy temperament. I'll never be without one :stupid: .

I have a wheaten terrier and a kerry blue terrier. We always had (aside from one ring-in) Irish terrier breeds in our family. Fell in love with wheatens at a dog show and we hadn't had them before plus I wanted another kerry to make the perfect doggy household. We're perfect in our house. :stupid:

GRUMPY, PUT THAT DOWN!

Hi Haylz27 & welcome to Dol.

I chose the Aust Kelpie because It was the first dog I had that was "MY DOG" as a child. She was so smart & loyal she converted me forever. Once I grew up I became aware of the number of Kelpie's & X's that are rescues and don't find a forever home. So I will spend as much of life as possible letting this wonderful breed rescue me.

My last dog was an ACD - wonderful girl who taught me so much and, despite my limitations as a trainer, was a fabulous obedience, agility and tricks dog. When I had her put to sleep, age 17, I decided to look for a breed that was at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of personality and looks so I would never try to compare the two of them. I even wanted a male for that reason.

I love elegant, beautiful dogs so considered Golden Retrievers, Irish Setters, various Spaniels and I also wanted to compete in dog sports.......but wanted a challenge. A work colleague mentioned her Dalmatians but I brushed her off with: "Aren't they supposed to be stupid???" Oh boy, did I cop an earful and deservedly so :stupid:

She gave me the contact details for her breeder and I emailed and later chatted to them on the phone. I was sold. More by the breeder than the breed initially - I just loved their attitude. 2 years later, I had my pup - and I got just what I wanted - a challenge and a unique, wonderful dog that I have never compared with my old dog, compete with and just enjoy having around. Ziggy won't be my last Dally but I will probably enjoy other breeds as well.