Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

I know that sometimes people make up excuses but i have been in the unfortunate situation of having to surrender a pet. It was when i was quite young and my dad was in the air force. We had been in the same house for 9 years and had three show dogs. We were posted over 1500 kms away in a place that we couldn't take all our dogs. We were allowed to keep two. So we went through the heartbreaking experience of leaving one of ours behind. It was not an "excuse" and caused us much pain. I know that rescuers hear it all the time, but please realise that sometimes some people have no choice. It is either survive themselves or give up thier dog. I know that not all situations are the same, but i believe that sometimes people have no other choice.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a return but this was actually worse.

Woman has a dog, she gets another dog from breeder, has the first dog put down coz he apparently is not getting on with the new dog. Her partner comes home and asks where dog one is. She shows him the spot where she buried him.

Now I knew/know this woman and will not talk to her.

Breaks my heart coz I would have happily taken her first dog into foster care. A rare breed too. :cry:

I took in an older GR girl once who was a giveaway on the local noticeboard (she ended up living out her days with my mum). Beautiful, easy, loving girl.

She was being given away because she was "too fat and ugly". :( Whilst casually avoiding the topic of her having been stuck in their backyard all her life, so whose fault was it that she was fat?!

Mandimoore I think most folks know there are sometimes very real reasons. If the genuine cases were the only surrenders the numbers would be much, much less.

I took in an older GR girl once who was a giveaway on the local noticeboard (she ended up living out her days with my mum). Beautiful, easy, loving girl.

She was being given away because she was "too fat and ugly". :( Whilst casually avoiding the topic of her having been stuck in their backyard all her life, so whose fault was it that she was fat?!

Mandimoore I think most folks know there are sometimes very real reasons. If the genuine cases were the only surrenders the numbers would be much, much less.

True, I have seen a small number of genuine cases where you really feel for both the people involved upon surrender and of course their dog/s. There are genuine cases.

Sadly many people sign leases or sign contracts weeks or months before without a thought for their dogs until the last moment.

During holidays some prefer to plan their flights, book their accomodation etc weeks and weeks ahead, while the dog's needs are last to arrange. No wonder they have no options, esspecially during the holiday period.

I am happy to work with people who have spent months trying to rehome responsibly and have done the best they can. Most though will ring after 9pm and when I ask how much time we have they will tell me they are moving tomorrow. The best I can do in that situation is refer them to a pound or shelter.

I have been at home with all of mine over christmas and will be over new year. My husband and kids are heading off to scone to spend time with dear friends. I would love to be able to be there with them all though I have commitments at home.

It is a doggy, horse and cat evening for me.

Our first Schipp was rescued. She taught us alot about the breed.

She was offered to a friend of mine who was a dog groomer, she said no didn't want it as she didn't know of the breed plus

she lived in a small one bedroom unit.Angel was about 2yrs old.

Kid said the family was breaking up plus the other two medium sized dogs were picking on her.

Kid comes back later and dumped her on the door step after hours.

My friend gradually got the dog "Angel" to trust her. We saw her and fell in love with her so took her. And started learning about showing and other doggy sports. We then had to rehome her to my mother (whom absolutly adored her adn you could tell Angel adored her too.) As she was being picked on by our other dog that was younger than her.

Angel lived until the ripe age of 10 yrs.

BB

There is a huge 'we have to move' problem in Canberra. It is the nature of the city - people come from all over, and settle into a home and Public Service job - often with Defence and then they are posted elsewhere.SURPRISE!!!!

Like that wasnt on the cards !!!!!!!!!! :mad

Somehow they thought it was cool, somewhere along the line, to get a pet or a few- you know , for the kids.

So lets teach the next generation that pets are disposable when you have to be posted OS for a while.

I dont know how to get the message through to people - you dont give up your children, and pets have that same codicil in the deal when you get them.

Just dont have them unless you are 100% certain you can keep them come what may for their entire lives. Then rescuers could be working on helping much smaller numbers of genuine situations.

Drives me NUTS

Reading through this thread is upsetting because of the lousy trivial excuses people use to get rid of their dogs.

Someone I know through another group was moving house and couldn’t take her 8 year old cat with her so decided to try and find another home.

Wouldn’t you try and secure a home where you could have a pet rather than ditching it?

No excuse…

It saddens me when people dump an older dog in favour of a puppy because the older dog doesn't get along with the puppy or 2 dogs is too much work/too expensive etc.

Going on holidays has got to be one of the worst excuses ever for dumping a pet. Have you not heard of kennels or a house sitter?

Defence force housing is pet friendly, my son is in the army and he has two dogs. Wherever he moves to, the dogs move too. He was stationed in Afghanistan last year, his girlfriend looked after the dogs while he was away.

He's moving from Brisbane to Canberra in a few weeks, so are the dogs.

I find this thread so sad:(. Especially in regards to dumping older pets for pathetic reasons like a new puppy! I looove the oldies. I love the panda eyes, that aura that they have been here before. They are over the craziness of puppyhood and they make the most faithful companions. It's probably my favourite time in my dogs life, when you have been through so much together and you know eachother inside out. When you know that your days together no longer feel infinite and you treasure them every day. I wouldn't give that up for anything. Go the oldies!!

We have a dog, who's first owner moved overseas and left him and his second re-home took him to show, because he is a handsome dude, but he did no good in the Show-ring...back he was again at the Breeder..

I have two who were not "good enough" in the showring. Annabelle and Lukey......Lukey was shy and timid in the Show-ring, we worked on that, we are not show people at all. But just to proof a point we have gotten him to the point where he enjoys showing and has made his Championship quite quickly. He met his previous Show owner and she did not even recognize him and after she was told who he was tried to say hello to him and wondered why he was just not interested.

Lukey is in his forever home now, even if he was no good in the Showring he would have stayed

Edited by newfsie

There is a huge 'we have to move' problem in Canberra. It is the nature of the city - people come from all over, and settle into a home and Public Service job - often with Defence and then they are posted elsewhere.SURPRISE!!!!

Like that wasnt on the cards !!!!!!!!!! :mad

Sometimes, though, Defence families get put in a position where the dogs that they've been able to move with for years can't be moved with again. I've had a couple of occasions where Defence have moved them to a home that didn't allow dogs and the families were absolutely devastated. I've had a couple of other families that were transferred overseas with Defence.

Shae was rehomed the first time because she barked and howled a lot, dug holes, ripped washing off the line and displayed a whole slew of bad behaviours. But then she'd been put in a backyard and ignored and her owners were surprised that she'd turned out so bad. The second time she was rehomed, her owners went to live in Dubai and didn't want to take her. Dubai is one of the easiest countries to take a dog into, they have no quarantine restrictions and not a lot of difficult rules about bringing a dog in from another country.

So we are her third home. And her last. She is a delightful little dog, pretty and sweet and loving. She has learned a new "trade"....herding sheep, and now has 2 herding titles. She's about to start her show career next week with her debut into the neuter classes at the grand old age of 6.

But mostly, I love her to the moon and back, I have promised her the best life a dog could ever have....and in return she loves me back, you can see it in her eyes.

Shae was rehomed the first time because she barked and howled a lot, dug holes, ripped washing off the line and displayed a whole slew of bad behaviours. But then she'd been put in a backyard and ignored and her owners were surprised that she'd turned out so bad. The second time she was rehomed, her owners went to live in Dubai and didn't want to take her. Dubai is one of the easiest countries to take a dog into, they have no quarantine restrictions and not a lot of difficult rules about bringing a dog in from another country.

So we are her third home. And her last. She is a delightful little dog, pretty and sweet and loving. She has learned a new "trade"....herding sheep, and now has 2 herding titles. She's about to start her show career next week with her debut into the neuter classes at the grand old age of 6.

But mostly, I love her to the moon and back, I have promised her the best life a dog could ever have....and in return she loves me back, you can see it in her eyes.

That is lovely Gayle.

I think the local vet thought I was dumping a dog that was actually one that I picked up roaming in a local park while the primary school had their sports day (teachers didn't seem to mind a medium sized dog that no one owned wondering around interacting with kids with no supervision :eek:)

However after the fourth dog dropped off they know I am just the local do-gooder who always stops and opens the car door when I see a dog on the street.

I did make me wonder how many 'strays' are dropped off to the vet by their family who dont want to surrender the dog themselves.....

That is lovely Gayle.

This....made me cry. Beautifully written, sums it all up really. :)

:eek: Wow.. Reading the entire 11 pages of this thread in disbelief, and in tears... Some excuses are just pathetic.

I also believe a dog is for life and I could never ever imagine parting with my puppy. It took a long while for me to get to a stable position to know I could safely and securely get a dog. I've had my little boy 2 weeks now and whilst it may not be long - The love I have for him already is something special and will only grow over time. To rehome him would be ripping my heart out. We've got a special bond and he'll be my boy until he goes off to the rainbow bridge.

The puppy stage is a crazy and sleepless stage! Benny is almost 11 weeks and I cannot wait for him to grow into a young man but I love him as a puppy too... The biting, the chewing of my favorite cardigan, the running off with my thong and hiding it in his crate... I wouldn't change him for the world and I'll look fondly back on his naughty puppy years but be thankful on what a wonderful dog he's grown into :)