Washing Dog Towels

J...

With the towels being dried inside in Winter I've noticed my dog towels don't smell that clean and fresh. I'm washing them on the "muddy" setting on the washing machine with extra detergent.

If they aren't washed straight away they are line dried and I wait until I have a load to do which is normally weekly to fortnightly.

It could be my heap of sh*t washing machine but just wondering what others wash their dog towels, blankets and beds in etc?

Vinegar in WITH the detergent? I use vinegar as the rinse aid/fabric softener to get rid of the detergent.

Usually I use the same detergent I use for all the other stuff. My current favourite is Earth Choice liquid. In the BIG bottle.

If I want something strong to kill odours, I go for Wool Mix. Even add a bit more Eucalyptus if it's bad. Or some Tea Tree oil.

I use very little detergent when I'm washing dog things - for the 'sensitivity' factor.

I use 1/3rd cup of "OdourGo - Penetrator Plus" for the rinse cycle. (I do this with my own clothes as well.)

Blankets; towels; etc. come out smelling fresh and clean.

Edited by Erny

If the towels have any urine stains I do a vinegar pre-rinse and then wash with BioZet.

If it's mud, I use BioZet and the "soil and sand" option on the washing machine. So far no hassles. I don't use a lot of BioZet and I do an extra rinse.

Indoor dried never smells as good as line dried, so unless you can still smell something clearly doggie I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't use scented or odour masking agents because I want to know the towels are actually clean and I don't want to irritate the dogs.

Don't use eucalyptus because it's not that good for dogs.

I wash heaps of dog towels being a groomer and usually omo on warm wash (normal setting) with Bi Carb soda and every now and then I do a small wash with Bi Carb (generous amount) to wash the machine out. My machine is almost 20 yrs old now so it hasn't hurt it.

Sometimes I will add a few drops of lavender to make them smell nice.

Edited by Andisa

Since I have been adding white King Oxy-Lift booster to the wash I haven't had a odor problem and I dry my doggie towels and bedding indoors in the shed most of the time.

Anyone interested it will be on special at Woolworths from Monday 28th at nearly half price $5.39. for 2 kg. I bought one yesterday on special at $8.98. I will be stocking up on Monday.

I use my normal detergent and add disinfectant to the "bleach" dispenser in my washing machine. Then use the heavy duty setting.

If the towels and bedding are really dirty, I wash with the "heavy duty + soak" option adding napisan to the mix.