When You Just 'click' With A Breed

HeavyPaws

My OH has forever been neutral about my list of breeds that I want, and doesn't understand my special Dane obsession. I love all sorts of dogs, but Danes are my very special slice of heaven. I have books and dvds about them, I head for them first at any show, I keep track of lines and constantly try to find a breeder to breed my perfect Dane.

He's always been "why does it have to be a harlequin? Why does it have to have a thicker set? What's a set? Why don't you like the ankles? do the ankles even matter? What's a tuck? Just find a harley breeder you like and get one." and "Danes are dogs. Just bigger dogs. What's the obsession?!"

Dogs to him are 'short dog' 'mediumish dog' 'large dog' and 'giant dog'. He knows quite a lot about dogs, but he's always been slightly "It's a dog, just bigger than that dog over there"

He likes Newfs more than others, but isn't enthused about them.

The other day, he did IT. He clicked. And with a very unexpected breed, too. We went to a training class because they have a wirehaired fox terrier from my sister's breeder that I wanted to talk to the owner about, and there's always a few dog owners on the side.

He saw a lovely 2 year old male Neopolitan Mastiff and he was in love. You could just tell. He asked them questions and played with the dog for about three hours, long after everyone else had gone.

He was so enthused he insisted we go to Borders and find a book about them. We found several and he bought them all. He read them and wouldn't shut up about all his new information.

The last few days he's been on Youtube, breed information sites, mastiff forums and breeder's sites all day. I keep having to walk over to the computer to see "Hey, darling, look at this breeder. They have this great stud dog, he's 90 kilos and just LOOK at that form! His head carriage is superb!" and "wow, this bitch has some beautiful wrinkling, and look at her pups!" and "Oh man, I'd have no problem with drool, look at the sweet lil puppy"

When the Neo drooled all up his suit pant legs he laughed like a toddler and praised it for being a, quote, "Sweet lil drooly boy".

My man's in love :laugh:

We had decided on a GAP greyhound next, but now he's "But daaaarrrllingggg, just look at this lil puppy's face!"

He's finding out the next Neo show and wants to go. I warned him that it may be first impression love, so he wants to see as many as possible, but secretly I think he's found his heart breed.

He gave me a long winded talk today about the awful people who are breeding Neo's in backyards and how he's so mad that they're ruining the standard.

We even have a Neo as our desktop background, replacing the photo of our newborn daughter. :o

So, to bulk this up, when did you 'click' with your breed? Have you clicked, or do you share the love around with many different breeds?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We both mutually clicked on the next breed we'll have

(Finnish Lapphund)

He wanted something cuddly and loyal.

I wanted something Spitz-y, intelligent and active.

It seems like a perfect fit for both of us.

On the car ride home from meeting Lappies for the first time BF keeps telling me how much he wants one.

:laugh: WIN!!

Well, OH and I had previously already both clicked with our breed Rottis a long time ago... this was prior to us meeting each other 6 years ago.

Then low and behold, when we met and found out that each other already had Rottis, we then clicked with each other, so a sort of different twist to clicking with the partner to suit the already clicked breed.

:laugh:

I'm a GSD nut and will always love them - but where i'd been tossing and turning re the Berners and Leos...i met a Leo in the flesh today and the lovely dog did nothing for me...lol - so a Berner will be the next pooch. I am seriously considering sticking to one dog when my two GSD's pass...but...you just never know when another GSD might just need to move in (i already want to steal several from work! :laugh: )

ETA - i got mobbed by a cheeky boy Berner at work one day...and that was it, i was suckered! :o

Edited by KitKat

I'm 100% clicked with Samoyeds.

OH clicks with every Sammie girl he meets.. he's a sucker for the girlies!!

There was next to no discussion on our next furry friend! Woop woop, about 6 months to go now :laugh:

Edited by Bindii

Thats gold! :laugh:

Its funny i found my breed by accident, i met my puppy when helping someone else pick her puppy. We now have three GSP's and although i have many breeds on my one day list i will ALWAYS have a GSP by my side. :o

:laugh: that's so cute! I have always been a spaniel lover - finally got my gorgeous Cocker girl in 2007. I will ALWAYS have a Cocker but would also love a little Cavalier too. Something about long hair floppy eared dogs makes me melt :o

Husband has mentioned a few times now that he would like a Boxer. I wouldn't have picked it!

Perhaps there is hope for my OH yet. He hasn't clicked with any breeds - but he does really likes old, sweet, quiet dogs. He fell in love with a 10yr old weimarana i found on the main road last week and told me nI shouldn't call the number on his collar so we could keep him. He took in a elderly border collie years ago too because his mate's mate was going to take her out bush and shoot her.

Edited by Lucy's mama

Mine is the Aussie :o Beautiful, clever, quick, agile.....those wigglebums?! How could one resist :laugh:

OH loves staffys and amstaffs and one of those will be our next dog.

Neither of us even knew much about Anatolian Shepherds when we got our rescue boy, but we're impresssed every day but how gentle and funny he is

I got my breed for very practical reasons - it is the best working breed for what I want to do. Smart as a whip, incredibly prey driven, very athletic, and eligible for schutzhund. The fact malinois are gorgeous to look at is just a happy bonus!

But I do just love staffies and the related bull breeds. Some days I wish I had a little more of that unflappable, stoic stafford temperament in my girl. Sometimes I feel that my breed of choice is more of a full time job than a pet. :cry:

My OH sated last night we will ALWAYS have a Whippet - ALWAYS. Then went on to say well why wouldn't ypu?

Our old Stafford is his dog through and through and he loves him but he has had very bad skin for a long time and he doesn't want another one incase he gets a similar problem. He also doesn't like doggy smell, so the Whippets are perfect.

We were even talking about Whippet number three last night. OH has always been a have one dog at a time person, now if it's three Whippets he's in!

About 18months ago I was wanting another dog but wasnt able to have one permanently, so was looking at puppy walking for the guide dog centre but I lived to far away for them so after a bit of research I decided to foster for GAP. Now I have two greys of my own 1 from GAP and a rescue from Hawkesbury (which I intended to rehome) and I would never have another breed now. I never had anything to do with greys until then and now I am hooked

Dad's breed is Bull Terriers, always have been and always will be. Although I have shown him how amazing non-terrier breeds can be, and Holly's sister, Maizie, has him wrapped around her little paw! :cry:

Mum clicked with Irish Terriers, she likes lots of breeds but I doubt she would ever have anything else if the dog choice was completely up to her. She reads and reads and reads and we are hopefully expecting our first Irish Terrier litter later in the year. :(

My breed is the Aussies. I love love love them. No other dog is as pretty or as perfect in my eyes. Any colour is fine, they are all beautiful. Couldn't imagine living without them now. I grew up with terriers but the Aussies are my breed.

Me? I saw my first shiba on TV when I was 14 and was hooked. They are just so gorgeous and wild looking! Spent years waiting till I could get a dog and now have 2. There are a whole heap of breeds I would have one day if circumstances allow but there will be a shiba tucked in there somewhere.

I submit exhibit A.

12-03-09_1605.jpg

Loki was stretching. As if a shiba would bow to anyone! pfft!

I grew up with cross bred dogs and never really had a preference. then I met an Australian cattle dog and it was love at first pat :cry:

I wasn't in a position at that time however to own a working dog as my husband and I were living on a horse agistment property with no fences and whatever dog we got would need to be confined to a small area while we were at work.

So we got ourselves two jack russells.

I was NEVER a small dog person but we truly fell in love with the breed.

They are such clowns and not 'little' dogs at all. They are big dogs in little bodies. They play and make us laugh, they are great companions and love to be 'couch potatoes' as well.

We now have our own house and I was finally able to get my 'dream' cattle dog katie. :( I love her to bits and she comes with me pretty much where ever I go. She's a very loyal dog and the original velcro dog always being by my side.

I feel complete now, but I must admit that I really have fallen in love with the JRT as well and think I will always have both in my life.

I grew up in a family that bred and showed dogs, and there are quite a few breeds, especially amongst the hounds and gun dogs that hold special places in my heart, but when it came to getting my first 'own' dog as an adult, I did lots of research. I did lots of online quizzes, read lots of profiles and books, and compiled myself a short list. Corgis kept coming up for me and my circumstances, and they weren't a breed I'd ever had a lot to do with, or had seriously considered, but everything I read drew me to the Cardigan breed. So off we went to the corgi specialty, met several cardi's and OH and I were both sold. Their size, energy levels, temperament and sense of humour (yep, its the only way to describe it!) all just suit us perectly. My red brindle girl, Shandy, has been with us for nearly 2 years, and now I just need to convince hubby that we should be a 2 corgi family!