Multigeneration Labradoodle?

Shmurps

One of the issues I have about the Labradoodle, apart from the name, is that it is confusing now when approaching someone with a dog that fits the description of perhpas an unclipped Standard Poodle.

Case in point, I saw one Labradoodle and one unclipped Standard, together, at Kiama a year or so ago. I had to ask exactly what they were and, had assumed wrongly, they were both xbred dogs.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are the exercise requirements of a Portuguese Water Dog? I thought they were similar to that of a BC?

Perhaps the general public just need to see more standard poodles unclipped and scruffy... they probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. Any poodle people have pics? Would be great to see some comparisons :) (here's my bad attempt at encouraging piccies)

I didn't think poodles or PWD were particularly high drive? Both breeds should not be difficult for the average owner, as the labrador is not difficult. But, he is a biggish, intelligent dog, and needs training, and an owner who is a bit smarter than he is.

PWD are VERY smart and a lot less people orientated (or is that people pleasing?) than the Poodles I've known. Independent, not stubborn so much as free thinking, but very quick to learn and very amenable to shaping type training, they like to think about stuff and offer different solutions (sometimes very different LOL) The general consenus is that PWD pups are very challenging, but I didn't find mine to be - after Stafford puppies not much is :) .

Personally I think anyone who likes the more independent nature of the terrier breeds but wants something more ''cute'' looking and perhaps just a touch easier to teach to focus would be suited to a PWD. Someone who wants a super obedient read your mind type dog would hate them I think.

No, nothing like the drive of a Border Collie IME and quite a lot more lazy natured, happy with a mental workout rather than a physical one if that's what is on offer.

Edited by Sandra777

I love poodles, but the only reason I'd have for not getting one is the amount of people who would ask me if I had a labradoodle.

DDs and their names drive me absolutely batty so by the third time I was asked I'd resort to clipping the words 'PUREBRED POODLE' on both sides of my dog.

One of my friends has two gorgeous poodles and she gets asked about her "labradoodles" all the time, and offers to breed them to their "labradoodles".

She has patience and explains the difference between pure poodles and mutts, about health tests and shedding.

I couldn't take it.

Mind you, type is as type does, as seen in my own breed.

Hehe, the Wheatens they used could be causing their problems!

Lots of breeds have type issues, go to a dog show and look at the GSDs, and that is just (presumably) the ones bred with conformation in mind.

There was one Wheaten used that was throwing puppies with undershot jaws. She was only bred from once and then returned to her breeder.

How do you know?

Perhaps the general public just need to see more standard poodles unclipped and scruffy... they probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. Any poodle people have pics? Would be great to see some comparisons :) (here's my bad attempt at encouraging piccies)

Here you go. 9/10 people ask if she is a labradoodle, the rest ask if she's an Irish Water Spaniel. Maybe only 1 or 2 people have gotten it right, but those have always been other poodle owners

as a scruffy puppy

4736028063_d2324b9ebf.jpg

shaved, and still mistaken for a doodle

4781039849_0b23db5257.jpg

in-between

4835679497_dc17ea8b28.jpg

Being asked doesn't bother me, people are polite about it and I just tell them she's a standard poodle

Edited by jaegertheweim

One of the issues I have about the Labradoodle, apart from the name, is that it is confusing now when approaching someone with a dog that fits the description of perhpas an unclipped Standard Poodle.

Case in point, I saw one Labradoodle and one unclipped Standard, together, at Kiama a year or so ago. I had to ask exactly what they were and, had assumed wrongly, they were both xbred dogs.

That happens with heaps of breeds though, I'm always getting asked if my husky is a malamute and my parents vallhund is often mistaken for a corgi cross, not surprising since both breeds have similar backgrounds and origins. There was a whole thread a while back about mistaken identities.

Mind you, type is as type does, as seen in my own breed.

Hehe, the Wheatens they used could be causing their problems!

Lots of breeds have type issues, go to a dog show and look at the GSDs, and that is just (presumably) the ones bred with conformation in mind.

There was one Wheaten used that was throwing puppies with undershot jaws. She was only bred from once and then returned to her breeder.

How do you know?

I used to work for one of the founders.

Canadian trainer, Sue Ailsby's last two service dogs have been PWDs. Amazing dogs. Sue is a remarkable trainer, and both dogs are service dogs with a solid foundation, but here is a list of their achievements after 2-4 weeks of specific training for each event:

"Rally - Scuba and Stitch, less than a week each. Both had perfect scores, by the way.

Obedience - Scuba 3 weeks, Stitch, 4 weeks. Scuba averaged in the mid one-nineties, Stitch around one-ninety.

Draft - Scuba and Stitch, 2 weeks each (plus conditioning time)

Agility - 12 poles in 12 days, by golly.

Water - Scuba 4 weeks, Stitch 3 weeks.

Herding - Scuba 3.5 weeks."

Fairly good all-round dogs I would say!

DSCF0073-1.jpg

Hehehe here the dog looks like a baby alpaca imo :grouphug:

Are poodles and PWDs coats easier or about the same to maintain as poodle crosses?

We had a poodle/bichon cross (just a guess, he was sold to us as a pure bichon, but had long legs and was much bigger and slimmer than a bichon) when i was very young and his coat was an absolute nightmare- white, curly, impossible to brush knots out if they were there and it only took about a day without grooming for him to get matted.

Edited by aussielover

Here you go. 9/10 people ask if she is a labradoodle, the rest ask if she's an Irish Water Spaniel. Maybe only 1 or 2 people have gotten it right, but those have always been other poodle owners

Oh gosh she's absolutely darling!!! Those eyes - that nose! For some reason I thought poodles always had long thin snouts but your dog's snout is just adorable. My favourite photo is her as a scruffy puppy. I suspect I could convince even my OH to get a poodle if it looked like yours :grouphug:

I have been reading this thread with interest trying to understand the whole thing but I have a few questions. Please don't bite my head off. I am genuinly interested in learning. :grouphug:

I googled "Labradoodles" and found the website for them. The one that points people in the direction of breeders that are registered with the Labradoodle Association of Aust. They speak about all the genetic testing they do and what to look for in a registered breeder as opposed to a BYB or a non registered breder.

So then I was confused because I thought that cross-breeding was bad because it was almost always done by BYB's or puppy farms. And this doesn't seem to be done like that at all.

So my question is...are people still against "Labradoodles" because they believe that there is no need to cross these two breeds? Because they believe that each breed has its own merits and it just perfect the way they are? Is that why some still frown upon it? Even though it is done responsibly (genetic testing etc)?

So my question is...are people still against "Labradoodles" because they believe that there is no need to cross these two breeds? Because they believe that each breed has its own merits and it just perfect the way they are? Is that why some still frown upon it? Even though it is done responsibly (genetic testing etc)?

Depends on the person, I think. I personally have no issue with folks crossbreeding so long as they're breeding responsibly (health testing, temperament testing, support for purchasers), especially if they're working towards creating a breed of their own. Other people will object to this, but I do not see the issue.

Unfortunately many (most?) labradoodle breeders do just throw together random labs & poodles just to make a quick buck, not bothering to health test either parent, with no long term goals, and misrepresenting the dogs they sell as "hypoallergenic".

Yes I am against the breeding of these dogs for precisely the reasons you have mentioned.

I googled "Labradoodles" and found the website for them. The one that points people in the direction of breeders that are registered with the Labradoodle Association of Aust. They speak about all the genetic testing they do and what to look for in a registered breeder as opposed to a BYB or a non registered breder.

IF every single Labrador x Poodle breeder adhered to the principles on the website you found then I doubt many people would have too much to say about them.

Simple fact is - they don't.

Simple fact is - creating a new breed requires long term committment and strict criteria. Grabbing two random dogs and mating them doesn't work.

Multi-generational labrador x poodles certainly exist and I believe that somewhere there probably are a small number of people who sincerely do believe they are creating a new breed, and some of them even do adhere to the principles listed on that website, but if they want to be taken seriously they need to distance themselves completely from the puppy farm oodle AND change the name of their new breed - honestly how can you take something called a "Labradoodle" seriously :grouphug:

aussielover:
Are poodles and PWDs coats easier or about the same to maintain as poodle crosses?

Pro groomers tell me that the worst of the poodle cross coats are far more challenging to maintain than the poodle's.

Correct. Some of the worst coats we have seen are poodle Xs.

Firstly because of the unpredictable coat type produced by X-breeding and secondly because a lot of people buy these X-breeds under the false claim that they are low maintainance. They completely neglect the coat and only go to a groomer when the weather becomes warm.

A mature poodle coat is quite easy to maintain when in a short trim.