Should I Or Shouldn't I? Any Thoughts Appreciated.

spottychick

SC I would have had 3 heart attacks, 2 fainting fits, 1 scream fit and then would have jumped into the cold water (boots & all) :laugh:

You DO need a drink!

The joys of puppyhood :laugh:

LOL I think I did all that and more. Yes that water was freezing!!! There's been snow close to here lately and the river comes straight off the mountain!!!!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!! That river looks like it would have been a bit scary for poor Dylan... I don't think he'll go too close to it again...

T.

Or will he.... :( Was it scary for him or just bag loads of fun!!

Certainly was extremely scary for you SC. Glad you didn't jump in....cold water can weaken the strongest swimmers...that river looks like it has quite a pull. Dylan may have ended up saving you.

Edited by LizT

Yep, she's no gentle meanderer that river :( But it is beautiful! I definitely wouldn't voluntarily jump in there!! Apparently the undercurrents are nasty in parts and it's very deep.

I'm not sure about Dylan - I hope he doesn't think all water is scarey but I want him to think THAT bit is!!! I'm pretty sure he was terrified when he was in there but, at least when he saw me, his swimming was strong so that's a good sign.

Okay - so about yesterday.... (sorry this post is going to be a bit epic. Don't feel obliged to read it all LOL)

First off, a bit of context. I was actually just starting to worry about my dogs attitude toward the puppy and wondering if I had done the wrong thing by the pup because my two were being constantly aggressive towards him.

So yesterday morning my day begins at 5 am when I am rudely woken up by the fact that my face is fully squashed into the bedside table and I can't breathe!!! :eek: It takes me a few moments to work out that I have a dog practically buried in the back of my head/neck area and another one buried in my back and I'm almost being pushed right off the side of my bed!! Turns out to be Dylan on my head and HIS head is snuggled so deeply into me that if I moved it seemed to move with me - not that I had much room to move to!!! It WAS bone-chillingly cold last night so I guess Dylan and Pepper were being sneaky heat-seeking missiles. As it is freezing and I'm awake anyway, I make a cuppa, climb back into bed to read for a while and Pepper and Dylan get under the blankets together while Tango snuggles into my legs. Ahhhh so cosy!

Anyway, fast forward to later that day:

... the neighbours teenage son ("the Troll" according to his mum) came over to mow my lawn. After a great deal of mowing I called the Troll over for a milo and cheezel break (his request!) and we sat on the deck with Pepper chewing on a bone, Tango dozing on the trampoline bed behind her and Dylan playing with his new chew toy on the grass in front of us.

Now I don't know if words can do justice to what happened next but I'll give it a try - apologies for how long this will probably be!!!

Dylan suddenly starts "barking". Now Dylan barking is a laugh-fest in itself. I wish I could do sound here. It's this sort of long-winded high-pitched sort of run-together yapping. It sounds like he's talking - or rather - a whiney child nagging. Like: "Awww come on...... I'm so BORED !!!! 'n I'm sick to death of this stupid chew toy why can't you get off your lazy bottoms and play with me for heavens sake, what's a guy gotta do......" etc etc

Seriously he just goes on and on and it gets louder and louder until Tango, still lying on the bed, lets out this massively loud BARK! Like "SHUDDUP WOULD YA!!!". SO Dylan stops for a second, wriggles on the ground slightly and then starts up again - only this time he throws in a pretend "attack" at Tango and darts off slightly still naggin his fool head off. Pepper continues chewing and completely ignores him. Tango sets up a growly barky thing. Dylan keeps going on and on and doing "dare-ya" darts at Tango getting closer and closer.

Troll and I are in fits of laughter. This truly was hilarious to watch and I keep saying "Dylan - you're gonna get hurt!!!" while I'm laughing. Dylan just keeps going - upping the ante every time. We're doing a running commentary and Troll does Dylan - it gets to Dylan "saying" - "Oi! Poo-spots!!!! I double dare ya!!" Suddenly it's ON! Tango flies out of the bed snarling and putting on his scariest display. Troll and I jump out of our skins and Dylan takes off at great speed with his bum down. :) legs tumbling everywhere! Tango flies after him all snarls and vicious barking. Dylan hides behind the car.

Tango comes back huffing and mumbling, doing u-turns, gets halfway back and Dylan pops his head around the car, Tango stops, runs back barking and circling at him (Dylan disappears again) then returns to us and gets back into bed. He has this "There. I've sorted that little upstart" attitude. Troll and I - :) :D :rofl:

Seconds later - Dylan comes flying back - DOES IT ALL OVER AGAIN. Tango is totally pushed to the edge and flies at him again. Dylan takes off with Tango in hot pursuit and they race around the car then over to the open lawn area where Dylan starts doing zoomies and prancing like a young colt - :thumbsup: teasing Tango who by this time has completely lost it. It's like Dylan is going "nya nya nya you cant catch me" and Tango is all "Right you little creep! You're toast". Troll says: "Dylan thinks this is the best game ever!!!!! hahahahahahhaa" :eek:

This happens all over again at least 2 more times. LMAO Each time Tango sounds more scarey and Dylan just seems to get more arsey in response! Note - not once did Dylan display ANY aggression toward Tango. Just cheek! But interestingly, Tango never actually catches him - even tho I'm quite sure he could!!

So, just as Troll and I are trying work out if Tango is ever really gonna hurt Dylan OR Tango actually doesn't have it in him to hurt him at all and concluding that we think Tango is secretly enjoying himself - Tango comes trotting back grumbling away and gets back on his bed with a "humph!". Dylan follows close behind at top speed, big smile on his face - full of the joy of life - takes a flying leap up on the deck, miscalculates and lands squarely on Pepper's back!!! She catapults off the floor snarling, pins him down in a flash and bites him - HARD! Dylan screams and runs over to me and sooks into my arms. :rofl: :rofl:

It was such a SURPRISE - we had actually completely forgotten Pepper! Troll and I just lost it and were in tears of laughter.

Anyway, that momentarily put a stop to things and Dylan sort of lay down and nodded off for a while.

One more thing happened that adds to this. Trolls mum came over for a coffee and saw some of this. Later we were sitting in the kitchen chatting over coffee when Dylan started up his nagging/teasing again. :rofl: Tango snarled and flew at him but Dylan had nowhere to go so he got caught by Tango against the door just behind Trolls mum. I heard Dylan let out this blood-curdling scream like he'd been seriously injured. I was about to react when my neighbour said - "Wait! Tango didn't even touch him" Hahahahahaha She was laughing and said "He just lunged at Dylan growling and Dylan screamed and carried on like a pork chop".

I just had to laugh at that and wondered how many times I've thought one of my dogs actually hurt him when it was really just him being a big baby!!!!

So that's the days entertainment. WHen my neighbours left they thanked me for the comedy show. Hee heee. I wish I'd got it on film but I hope I got across how funny it was in words anyway.

The main thing for me is that I feel much MUCH more confident about all these dogs being together. I really don't think Tango is going to hurt Dylan and I think Tango is finally getting it that NO-ONE is out to hurt him.

I think what happened yesterday is as far as Tango will ever go (at least while Dylan is still a pup). Pepper is now playing with him occassionally (they are play bowing at each other as I type) and only puts him in his place now and then. And I actually think Tango and Pepper are happier since this little bundle of mischief arrived here.

Bringing the puppy into the mix seems to me to be having a very positive effect on them both.

OMG tears of laughter with that post

you really need to write a book on their antics :eek:

so Glad there was a good outcome with the river scare

Yep, she's no gentle meanderer that river :p But it is beautiful! I definitely wouldn't voluntarily jump in there!! Apparently the undercurrents are nasty in parts and it's very deep.

I'm not sure about Dylan - I hope he doesn't think all water is scarey but I want him to think THAT bit is!!! I'm pretty sure he was terrified when he was in there but, at least when he saw me, his swimming was strong so that's a good sign.

I know what you mean...it's a toss up between "I hope he was scared and NEVER EVER does that again" OR "I hope he isn't afraid to have a play in safe water!" And you with mixed emotions between the two! :laugh:

Griff -

Gosh ! what an Adventure , good to hear there was a happy ending.
Photos of that river are scary enough; in real life with your dog in it :laugh::cheer:

Your life is full of adventure, spotty :confused:

... yep! move to the country for a quiet life hee hee :laugh:

Edited by spottychick

I know what you mean...it's a toss up between "I hope he was scared and NEVER EVER does that again" OR "I hope he isn't afraid to have a play in safe water!" And you with mixed emotions between the two! :confused:

Exactly. Although I still don't know how he got in the river! Did he jump or did he fall??? :laugh:

What a smarty pants!!!

Yesterday I noticed a Cheerio had rolled under the little couch in the kitchen area. So I bent down to get it and Dylan followed. He went into a "down"position to crawl under the couch and get the Cheerio. A thought suddenly occurred to me. I said "Down" just as he reached the Cheerio.

Then I got some dog treats and put one under the couch. He went under to get it and I said "Down!". LMAO

I did that several times then I got him in front of me and put a treat in my hand, moved it to the floor and said "Down!". After a bit of fussing he went into a "down" position. I did that a few more times till suddenly as soon as I said "Down" and made the hand signal he went into a "down" position!!!!

OMG! I was so surprised at how easy that was. It took all of 5 minutes or so!!! I got out some roast chicken and used that as a treat for a couple of goes just to reinforce it. My other two dogs were incredibly patient. They were with us at the time but didn't try to get Dylans treats or interfere. They just sat quietly nearby and I occassionally gave them a treat for "sit"!

I tested him again this morning and as soon as I said "Down" and moved my finger toward the floor he dropped into a "down" and stayed there.

Yay! What a smarty. I wonder if all dogs learn it that fast!

Now what should I teach him next?

What a smarty pants!!!

Yesterday I noticed a Cheerio had rolled under the little couch in the kitchen area. So I bent down to get it and Dylan followed. He went into a "down"position to crawl under the couch and get the Cheerio. A thought suddenly occurred to me. I said "Down" just as he reached the Cheerio.

Then I got some dog treats and put one under the couch. He went under to get it and I said "Down!". LMAO

I did that several times then I got him in front of me and put a treat in my hand, moved it to the floor and said "Down!". After a bit of fussing he went into a "down" position. I did that a few more times till suddenly as soon as I said "Down" and made the hand signal he went into a "down" position!!!!

OMG! I was so surprised at how easy that was. It took all of 5 minutes or so!!! I got out some roast chicken and used that as a treat for a couple of goes just to reinforce it. My other two dogs were incredibly patient. They were with us at the time but didn't try to get Dylans treats or interfere. They just sat quietly nearby and I occassionally gave them a treat for "sit"!

I tested him again this morning and as soon as I said "Down" and moved my finger toward the floor he dropped into a "down" and stayed there.

Yay! What a smarty. I wonder if all dogs learn it that fast!

Now what should I teach him next?

When my youngest Cav went to 'puppy pre-school', the trainer who runs it had ALL 8 week old puppys of all breeds and mixtures doing this. My little girl learnt so quickly I was amazed! Others did to to varying degrees too.

Dogs are such smarties aren't they. :coffee:

When my youngest Cav went to 'puppy pre-school', the trainer who runs it had ALL 8 week old puppys of all breeds and mixtures doing this. My little girl learnt so quickly I was amazed! Others did to to varying degrees too.

Dogs are such smarties aren't they. :coffee:

Yes they are! But especially Dylan and your cav hee hee

I wish I had a training group or something near here I could take him to. I guess I'll just have to keep making it up myself :rofl: