Puppy Found With Eyes Glued Shut In Mackay

Howl

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2010/...en-puppys-eyes/

ANY animal cruelty case makes vet Holly Goldring shudder but when this King Charles cocker spaniel-cross laid on her operating table it took her breath away. Unbelievably the four-month-old had his eyes glued shut.

It took Dr Goldring 45 minutes to cut through the glue to get the dog’s eyes open again.

“It’s heartbreaking when I have to deal with these sort of incidents – it’s concerning that there are people out there that think they can abuse animals like this,” Dr Goldring said.

“Yes, as a vet it is my job to help animals, but it is very hard when animals like this puppy come to you in the state they are in.

“It took me 45 minutes to get his eyes open. I then found a haemorrhage on the eyeball, which would have been caused by trauma – he is lucky to be alive.

“However, the good thing is we have been able help him out (the cocker spaniel) and he has come around and is healing quiet nicely.

“Considering what has happened to this little fellow he is very trusting.”

Dr Goldring said the dog had also suffered what appeared to be chemical-like burns.

The dog was taken to the vet after two people called police to say they had seen a man abusing it near a walking track on Binnington Esplanade late Monday afternoon.

They allege they saw the dog being thrown, kicked and dragged along the path and punched repeatedly.

Mackay police acting Inspector Simon Palmer said about 4.30pm on Monday two people observed a man allegedly striking what appeared to be a small dog.

“The dog was in distress because of it,” Acting Inspector Palmer said.

“Police were called and conducted an investigation with the RSPCA. As a result, yesterday (Tuesday) a 26-year-old man was arrested and charged with two offences – unlawful wounding of an animal and failing to provide suitable care for an animal.”

Acting Inspector Palmer thanked the members of the public who informed police and praised the work of police, the RSPCA and Better Vets at Andergrove for their help and time to keep the dog alive.

Yesterday, two other people were also charged in relation to the alleged cruelty to the dog.

What pigs, absolutely shameful, you would hope they really cop a heavy penalty for this and to all involved. :D I am glad the police actually caught them and decent people reported the abuse.

At least pup is healing up and will hopefully go to a very nice LOVING home.

(Tuesday) a 26-year-old man was arrested and charged with two offences – unlawful wounding of an animal and failing to provide suitable care for an animal.”

--------------------------------------------

Yesterday, two other people were also charged in relation to the alleged cruelty to the dog.

:rofl: ffs :rofl: Is that what they are supposed to be charged with, a long time ago I read something about lenient sentences for animal cruelty cases, some person an RSPCA person I think was saying most have the wrong sort of charges put against them under the wrong act, and if they were charged properly uner the right act they would get the correct punishment dished out by magistrate.

Edited by -GT-

The thing I don't get is why ? If you don't want an animal or like the animal, then drop it off at the local pound.

I agree Ill never understand why people feel the need to do this geez even letting it loose would probably be better

:rofl: Eye for an eye. Glue his eyes shut! There is no other suitable punishment imho.

Souff

Hear hear :rofl:

The thing I don't get is why ? If you don't want an animal or like the animal, then drop it off at the local pound.

Perhaps this is a case of a person with unresolved anger wanting to take his frustrations on a defenceless being ! Or a case of vengeance....could this pup have belonged to someone that upset him? whatever the case, I personally have no time for such disgraceful wastes of oxygen. No matter what....there is no excuse, NONE whatsover to be inflicting such treatment of a poor innocent animal. May karma hit this bastard hard!

Edited by Moselle

Poor dog.

Gee but I'd love to know if it was bought from a pet shop. Let Mr Perkins spin his way out of that.

Does that make a difference? pet shop or reg. breeder..... :rofl: I feel that no matter what the pup's origins are it can still become of a victim of cruelty with individuals like this

cretin walking around. :rofl:

Does anyone know what happens to people who commit animal cruelty? Such as name and shamed or can they just get another pet later and possibly do the same thing again? Suppose they can just go to another pet shop or BYB and get one but certainly you wouldn't want them near another animal ever again.

IMO should be locked up forever throw away the key but the legal system just isn't sufficient

I sure didn't want to read this thread, but I just had to check that the puppy was okay and hadn't lost his eyes. :rofl::rofl:

That is just not the issue, RSG. It is all about weak people wanting some power and the only way they are going to get that is to pick on someone or some animal that is much much weaker than they are.
:rofl: Eye for an eye. Glue his eyes shut! There is no other suitable punishment imho.

Souff

It is time people stopped the mantra that retribution just brings us down to their level. These people just don't understand mercy. They can't give it and when it is given to them they see the other person as weak and themselves as having won. So, yes. It is about time crimes like these were met with retribution.

Does anyone know what happens to people who commit animal cruelty? Such as name and shamed or can they just get another pet later and possibly do the same thing again? Suppose they can just go to another pet shop or BYB and get one but certainly you wouldn't want them near another animal ever again.

IMO should be locked up forever throw away the key but the legal system just isn't sufficient.

Why the names are withheld is beyond me. Had these people murdered someone their names would be in the papers; why not for cruelty cases as well. Why should we show them mercy when they have shown none?