Scary Interaction With A Dog.

tianakaesha

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realised I read it wrong and the delivery man was NOT the owner of the dog?

Eventually a delivery man heard me and started walking towards us. The dog ran back to his house, the guy said "he's gone" and jumped into his car... and I quickly got Miss T into the car (30m away). I turned around and saw the dog running after a car. He turned and looked at me. I got T buckled in the car and ran to the drivers seat and just drove away.

If this is the case then perhaps the dog escaped it's yard somehow (gate accidently left unlocked etc) and the owners are not irresposible at all? Some dogs are territorial or simply don't like kids. Has the dog been seen roaming before or was it a once off?

Just a thought..

Why would the dog be territorial about a road?

I don't care what the reason though, a dog capable of doing that should be PTS, that kind of behaviour is not on, and near a primary school!!

I would have been terrified as well, you did great to think so calmly and shield Miss T. :thumbsup:

I would like to think it was just guarding its yard. I don't know the reason. The fact CW EW saw a GSD 2.5 blocks roaming on the weekend makes me think it is not the first time.

Tara had a freak-out this morning at preschool about being still scared of "the big doggie".... so going to have to work on it with her.

Thank you all for your love and support, will keep you updated.

OMG you poor things! It is bad enough when we feel threatened ourselves, but having to protect your child is totally terrifying. I hope the 2 of you feel better about things soon and I hope the dog is found & somethng is done to prevent this ever happening again.

I had an incident with a GSD when my daughter was a newborn. As weird as it sounds being charged by a barking GSD with a newborn in my arms actually turned out creating a wonderful friendship for me. I was lucky that the dog had a serious approach problem, rather than a true aggression problem. So after she scared the crap out of me & I bawled my eyes out clutching my newborn in terror, her owner came to apologise & over the next few weeks & for many years later, we became the best of friends. I ended up loving that dog like I loved my own.

I don't care what the reason though, a dog capable of doing that should be PTS, that kind of behaviour is not on, and near a primary school!!

I would have been terrified as well, you did great to think so calmly and shield Miss T. :hug:

If the dog has been allowed to roam and/or the road is directly in front of its house it may well see the road as part of its property.

I would have been terrified as well, you did great to think so calmly and shield Miss T. :hug:

If the dog has been allowed to roam and/or the road is directly in front of its house it may well see the road as part of its property.

Definitely! I was bailed up in my own paddock a couple of years ago by a wandering dog. I used to see it roaming my paddock most days, it thought of it as its territory, and I was the tresspasser.

That was a terrible experience for you, I hope they catch the dog.

Holy crap, its bad enough if you have your dogs and that happens, let alone your child :cry:

I would be suffering post traumatic stress too, i sympathise with you i really do. I hope that dog is found and it and its owners are dealt with accordingly.

I actually like German Shepherds but one attacked me at work once and it scared the bejeezuz out of me, they are scary bastards when they want to be! :hug:

I hope you feel better soon.

I think I might have to find a GSD soon to go and pat. More for me than for T. I feel very traumatised by it. She was a bit more oblivious. Though she did crawl into my bed crying last night.

surely the power of DOL can arrange that! whereabouts do you live?

Kamuzz, Ryde.

Tara has been clinging to me and bursting out in tears today. She won't say what's wrong, just that she's sad and then she searches her body to find a "sore" to blame it on.

Apparently she had a bad day at preschool today, arguing and crying lots which she never does - her carers were shocked (but I had explained what had happened)

She asked to pat my friend's dog today, who was a well behaved (mostly!) dalmatian. She was ok with it for a bit, then moved away and had had enough.

*sobs* I had worked so hard to have her have a great relationship with dogs, and this one bloody dog undoes so much confidence for both of us in one go....

*sigh*

Oh... council went straight out looking for the dog, but could not find it. :)

I gave a better description to the Ranger when I spoke to her.

She is coming around Monday to take my statement. I just kept crying on the phone. ;)

I sympathise with your nasty ordeal, it should never happen, but how do you intend to identify this dog......it was a black and tan GSD???.

Unless you see what house it came out from or went back into even if they find a GSD in the vacinity at some stage is not conclusive to be the same dog. I hate to think of an innocent dog getting tangled up in things like this :thumbsup:

Fiona :(

Edited by malsrock

• 2 weeks later...

The dog and owner were located.

A dangerous dog order will be placed. They will have 3 months to comply with all demands. Or surrender the dog for euthanasia.

I just signed my statement for the council.

On the upside some nice friendly GSDs are coming to visit this afternoon to give me some shepherd time.

The dog and owner were located.

A dangerous dog order will be placed. They will have 3 months to comply with all demands. Or surrender the dog for euthanasia.

I just signed my statement for the council.

On the upside some nice friendly GSDs are coming to visit this afternoon to give me some shepherd time.

Oh that's awesome!!!!

I hope they comply though!

Thats great news, I hope that you and Miss T both recover from your ordeal, but by the sounds of it DOL have it sorted.

Now seeing as I'm a little far away I'll prescribe my own medication for both of you, hugs chocolate hugs chocolate cake, hugs chocolate milk hugs chocolate.

I sympathise with your nasty ordeal, it should never happen, but how do you intend to identify this dog......it was a black and tan GSD???.

Unless you see what house it came out from or went back into even if they find a GSD in the vacinity at some stage is not conclusive to be the same dog. I hate to think of an innocent dog getting tangled up in things like this :laugh:

Fiona :laugh:

Hi Fiona

I understand your concern.

I gave a very good description of the GSD, including the number of tags it had around its neck. I saw a house where it ran from and ran back too. Council records confirm a GSD lives at this address. The dog did have a chance to escape that day, and the owners did not know until the dog was returned to them by their neighbours. The council checked for other GSDs in the vicinity however there are no other dogs in the street, or the cross streets that match the description. There is very low possibility of the dog being different to the one identified.

What a terrible ordeal to have to go through :laugh:

You reacted so well! You must be proud of how you instinctively stayed clam and kept Miss T out of danger. :laugh:

Good thing the owner and dog have been found. next time someone else's ordeal might not have be so good ;)

Edited by rexiam