Do Dogs And Other Animals Have Souls?

Tapferhund

I'm one of those people who doesn't believe in souls in the religiony sort of way, but I do believe there is a part of all living creatures that is something 'special' I don't know how to explain it, I guess it would be the non-religious equivalent to a soul... good and evil.

Me too Shaar. Dogs definitely have a "spirit" or something. I call it a soul even tho I dont believe in heaven and hell etc. It just seems the best word I can use to explain what I see and feel from my dogs. When my boy dally died of cancer last year my local community actually held a wake for him! Many people who came along commented on how they felt he was "different" to most dogs and that "it was almost like he had a soul". To me he wasn't different, maybe more discernable or something - he was certainly a very "connected" dog. But I reckon it's there in all dogs if you allow it to communicate with the world - or allow yourself to see it.

That all sounds very clumsy the way I put it but I can't explain it any other way. My old girl was the same.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also think it is typical human arrogance to say animals don't have souls.

Definately this!

I think that dogs have souls and they also have something much more pure than most humans. I think there are some awful human beings don't have one!

I am not a religious person but I believe that dogs (and other animals) definately have something that surpasses this reality - call it soul or whatever else you like.

I agree... and I do have a strong faith and belief in God.. but there are a lot of people who don't believe in miracles either.

Yes.....sad lot aren't they ! What they fail to see is life itself , all animals and this beautiful planet are miracles.

You don't need to believe in God or supernatural miracles to see the miracles of life, or to be happy.

So what is your definition of "soul"? Is it related to consciousness, or personal identity?

I think dogs and cats are more progressed than some other animal species

I don't think cats are particularly 'more progressed' than other species. (actually, I think cats are primarily still very instinctive and haven't progressed that far at all from their 'wild' cousins).

Some apes/other primates, elephants, dolphins and pigs are all known to be highly intelligent and have certain forms of heightened awareness of self or learning etc.. that said.. i don't think that intelligence is a requirement to having a soul.

No I don't think that intelligence is a requirement to having a soul either. I believe all animals have a soul.

We as a race would be screwed then if it was. :rofl:

From; Dictionary.com

Soul: the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action.

it then says - "in humans."

Animism (from Latin meaning - soul, life) - an idea that souls exist in animals, plants etc and there are alot of beliefs that believe :rofl:

I like to pick and choose, and go with what I am comfortable with, and that being said, I do believe that animals have souls.

Depends what you mean by a soul. If you mean something that survives the death of the body & goes to heaven, then I don't believe dogs or humans have one.

But if I'm wrong and humans have an everlasting soul, then I would fully expect dogs to have one as well. :rofl:

St Thomas Acquinas, a Doctor of the Church (which means he was smart about Churchy things) said that animals (like dogs) have souls, because the soul is the 'animating principle' for them, too.

I don't know what that means. But sounds good to me. :rofl:

So every good dog deserves a halo & angel wings. :rofl::rofl:

post-3304-1284792836.jpg

A soul is the light in your eyes, the love in your heart, your energy, your personality. Look into someones/dogs eyes and you will see their soul. For when they pass on, look into their eyes and you see emptiness, the soul has gone to live on.

St Thomas Acquinas, a Doctor of the Church (which means he was smart about Churchy things) said that animals (like dogs) have souls, because the soul is the 'animating principle' for them, too.

I don't know what that means. But sounds good to me. :cry:

So every good dog deserves a halo & angel wings. :worship::cry:

post-3304-1284792836.jpg

Your pug is gorgeous :(

A soul is the light in your eyes, the love in your heart, your energy, your personality. Look into someones/dogs eyes and you will see their soul. For when they pass on, look into their eyes and you see emptiness, the soul has gone to live on.

Beautifully Said :cry:

Ahh, ok.

I don't believe in anything going to live on, but can accept that many do. I think more of the physical changes that occur and that is why they look different. I also believe that the only thing that lives on is memories of those who knew the living person or animal. I guess that is why I can't see the significance, perosnally, of dog's having souls.

Ohh I don't know Cordelia? I think there is enough documentation to prove the existance of God and souls in animals.

Erm.. there is? :cry:

I guess that depends very much on what you consider to be evidence and what exactly your beliefs are. Personally, I don't believe anything has a soul but that doesn't mean things can't be valued still for what they do have. You don't have to believe in the christian god (or any god, really) to treat animals with the same respect you'd show your fellow man.

Of course, if you mean "soul" in the non-religious sense (ie, a distinct personality, the ability to feel and understand what happens around it, etc), almost every type of animal could be said to have a soul.

Catholic dogs have souls :cry: ...

Do dogs go to Heaven?

Quite a debate between two churches!

This is literally a 'church signs' debate, being played out in a southern town, between the Catholic church and a (fundamentalist) Presbyterian church that face each other across a street. From top to bottom you will see the response and counter-response over time.

The Catholics are displaying a much better sense of humor! You get the impression that the Presbyterians are actually taking this seriously!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg