Have You Ever Got It Right 100%

Dust Angel

My 2 are perfect for me.

Charlie is near perfect. one issue he has is that he doesn't like black labs.. we are working on it.

Emmy is still a puppy but has potential to be an awesome dog. We are still training hard.

Edited by CW EW

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've only had one dog in 50 years who has got an issue :cry: :D :laugh: she's a little fearful, snappy at other dogs in her face etc. but great at doggy sports, perfect at home and travel too.

All the dogs we've had from rescues, terriers, cattle dogs, giant schnauzers, goldies, spinone, water spaniels, border collie, patterdales, wolfhounds, ESPECIALLY wolfhounds :eek: have had NO bad things at all about them. Not one thing I could pick. ALL great with ALL animals, kids, babies, noises (except one lakeland was scared of thunder so I guess that's an issue), all great on lead and off, no food stealing (unlike the problem child I have now), no food or resource aggressions, no barking...

The problem child was why I joined Dol, after 45 years of 'perfection' it was quite a shock, and the really silly thing is, I never ever knew my lot were great, I took it all for granted!! :( :D

Also, so far, all have been well over their breed 'time of death' too. One has a health issue now, but not life threatening.

so for me it should be, have you ever NOT got it right 100%, but I can't take any credit as really I was very lucky to have excellent temperament dogs who were expected to get on etc. and did. :eek:

Edited by Monah

Harri is the closest i have trained/ raised to near perfect, but even he still has his annoying habits :D. For a Terrier he is very obedient, dog social, good with kid, does relatively well at the dog sports we do and have tried. But he steals food, out of the bin, off the other dogs, off the cats, anything he can get hold of.

Kell was the dog nightmares were made of until she was about 12mths. She chewed everything and did so much damage I really didn't think I could keep her. Overnight it seems she changed and the next 14yrs she was as close to perfect as I will every get. Loved everyone and everything, 100% solid on and off lead and was a genuinely lovely dog. Was a terrible food thief though but what sheltie isn't. Her daughter Kayla was pretty close to perfect too, a lovely soft gentle dog that I was very privileged to own.

Guest belgian.blue

Ivy is well behaved and never really had any training. She isn't yet three so I hold very high hopes for her :laugh:

She showed me well today while off lead at a beach full of random dogs. She was over excited and went naughty for a moment, I put her on lead and had a word to her and gave her a treat .. from that moment on she was great! She listened to every word I had to say and paid major attention to me.

Badger :D but he still has puppy brain so that he is excused.

Have You Ever Got It Right 100%, Ever brought up a dog with zero bad habits?

No. :laugh:

I have never given birth to, or mothered, a perfect human child either. I like children and dogs with a touch of attitude though, I find them more interesting and easier to love. :D

I don't and can't claim that we brought up Mungo with zero bad habits.

Mungo was a Deerhound and I think bad habits would have been too much effort for him. :laugh:

He was a really lovely, happy easy going boy - he was the perfect pup - no chewing ,no digging, great recall, no lead pulling, loved everyone including cats and other dogs , didn't bark or growl and grew into a laid-back giant hairy rug. His only downfall was going to bone cancer at just 5 years old.

I don't and can't claim that we brought up Mungo with zero bad habits.

Mungo was a Deerhound and I think bad habits would have been too much effort for him. :laugh:

He was a really lovely, happy easy going boy - he was the perfect pup - no chewing ,no digging, great recall, no lead pulling, loved everyone including cats and other dogs , didn't bark or growl and grew into a laid-back giant hairy rug. His only downfall was going to bone cancer at just 5 years old.

How heartbreaking for you, im so sorry. :rofl:

So i was at dog training today and i was wondering has anyone got it 100% right, have your brought up a dog that has zero bad habits or issues?

Obviously im not talking about rescues or mature dogs Have you ever raised a dog from a pup that is obedient with no problems? Is it a common thing? I guess i would define bad habits as the basics food aggression, pulls when walking, whines/whinges/barks when crated or waiting for something, counter surfers etc.

I know there are members here who have done REMARKABLE things with mature dogs/rescues etc Shell and Zero spring immediately to mind. For those people, is there anything else you would improve in your dog or do you think that they are 100% successfully rehabbed?

Alternatively do you think that this is something that may be subjective - something that you find acceptable with your dog (leading you to think you have a dog with no bad habits or issues) would be unacceptable for another dog owner?

If you have id love to hear about it and if you have managed it with every dog. If not what will you change with your next dog?

Why should it be obvious? A dog's temperament is a result of its genes mostly. And a dog can be wonderfully behaved in one person's hands, and behave very undesirably with another.

I have never owned or raised the perfect dog, but I think the best way to get a great dog is to buy the right dog in the first place, work it and love it, and try to avoid doing anything to traumatise it. Get a dog from a great line of dogs.

The dog with the fewest bad habits is the one I made the biggest hash of training because she was my first. Yet she doesn't counter-surf, barge around, jump up, bark, whine, toilet indoors or do anything I find irritating. She's pretty much perfect. Breeding counts for a lot as does a breeder careful to give you a newbie-safe dog. She has a rock solid true to type temperament and I can't take any credit for that.

Hmm. Zamba is dog aggressive and though good, will never be perfect.

I was going to say Mozart (my bichon) is perfect. This is something I often tell the rest of my family!

But then I remembered he is not really reliable with his house training. Even at 12 years old, he will occasionally sneak off for a poo (oh God how awful you might think - but happens so rarely I almost forgot about it). Other than that.... I mean he's sweet-natured, can mix with any dog and soothe them into niceness, stays on his bed without fail, hardly ever barks, loves to play, the list just goes on and on.

I had one other 'almost perfect' dog once. She was amazingly obedient. A rescue dog - she was beautifully trained before I got her - never could work out what she was doing in the pound!

But she was TERRIFIED of men! So I guess she wasn't perfect either.

So no - and I bet I never do. They're all great, but none of them are robots are they? Their quirks make them more interesting in lots of ways.

Hmm. The whippet I grew up with was 'almost perfect' too. She was in our family before I was born, and taught me to walk (holding onto her back). She stopped me from going off with a pedophile once, when I was 6 or 7 years old. Only reason I didn't go was that she was growling and lunging at him - something she never, ever did. I remember telling her off because I thought she was being rude.

She died when I was 12. Amazing, amazing dog.

But you could never have contained her to a yard. She was a roamer, and terrified of thunder storms. So no, not perfect. But perfect to me. RIP Winkle.

So i was at dog training today and i was wondering has anyone got it 100% right, have your brought up a dog that has zero bad habits or issues?

Obviously im not talking about rescues or mature dogs Have you ever raised a dog from a pup that is obedient with no problems? Is it a common thing? I guess i would define bad habits as the basics food aggression, pulls when walking, whines/whinges/barks when crated or waiting for something, counter surfers etc.

I know there are members here who have done REMARKABLE things with mature dogs/rescues etc Shell and Zero spring immediately to mind. For those people, is there anything else you would improve in your dog or do you think that they are 100% successfully rehabbed?

Alternatively do you think that this is something that may be subjective - something that you find acceptable with your dog (leading you to think you have a dog with no bad habits or issues) would be unacceptable for another dog owner?

If you have id love to hear about it and if you have managed it with every dog. If not what will you change with your next dog?

Why should it be obvious? A dog's temperament is a result of its genes mostly. And a dog can be wonderfully behaved in one person's hands, and behave very undesirably with another.

I have never owned or raised the perfect dog, but I think the best way to get a great dog is to buy the right dog in the first place, work it and love it, and try to avoid doing anything to traumatise it. Get a dog from a great line of dogs.

For the reason i used obviously see where i have bolded. I am firstly specifically requesting if people have raised a puppy to adult hood without making any errors or causing any hang ups or problems. Or if they have done everything right and there are problems anyhow.

As to the second sentence ive bolded that where i was inquiring about adult rescue dogs with issues and weather they are rehabbed 100%

I find it interesting reading peoples opinions about what makes an ideal dog and what issues are show stoppers. Im not trying to say anyone is right or wrong as it is ALL opinions based.

I find dog behavior and training and interactions with people very interesting.

Obviously im not talking about rescues or mature dogs. Have you ever raised a dog from a pup that is obedient with no problems? Is it a common thing? I guess i would define bad habits as the basics food aggression, pulls when walking, whines/whinges/barks when crated or waiting for something, counter surfers etc.

Yep...my old girl Chevy. She went over the bridge last year aged 12.

I got her when she was 5 weeks old (yep I know) and I was 17. She was perfect. Even learning new tricks about 8 months before she died.

She was always well behaved. Never ever pulled on a lead (except maybe the very first time she wore one when she just sat on the ground and wouldnt move), didn't have any other issues at all. Never got under your feet and in your face, always did what she was told. She never chewed anything or did anything she wasnt meant to (although, I did catch her one time giving the OH's work boots to our dog Lennox - who was a chewer and at that time on a chain - and I suspect she was trying to set him up LMAO)

Maybe one minor issue, her recall was probably not 100% but I only noticed this probably the last 2 years of her life so I think she was actually a bit deaf and that was why, because before that she was perfect.

She was ridiculously placid, super friendly to people and other dogs. Immediately accepting of any new pets that were brought into the house. Would learn new tricks in about 2 minutes. To be honest, she would have been better off as a service dog for someone because she really did not see her full potential with us. She was so smart and so well behaved and stunning (personALITY) that she should have been out there helping people. God she was beautiful - I really really miss her.

Admitedly though, I don't know how much of her perfectness was me, and how much was just her being her. I spent time training her, but only when I wanted her to learn something new and it was quite often just the one lesson. She was the ideal beginners dog i GUESS (she was my first dog away from my olds, but not the first dog I ever "trained" or helped train). And if I am being honest, she made me totally unprepared for the dogs that followed LMAO, but I musta done something right - wish I could repeat it LOLOL

Now we have Pippi who is at the total other end of the spectrum and has ears for purely decorational purposes only. She is always looking for something naughty to do. I suspect the Pipster is super smart just from some of the things she can do, and is actually outsmarting me.

Got pretty damn close with my boy Darcy, the only thing I stuffed up is his doggy manners, he can be a bit rude with new dogs :cheer:

Dogs he knows well he will run and play with fine but add a new dog and he will hump it, apart from that he is really good! At training he can be offlead next to other dogs and ignores them. He is very very well behaved at home, basically toilet trained himself and has never had any accidents inside, very calm inside. He is such a sweetheart, and is well mannered with people, he could care less about people outside his family (Tollers are meant to be reserved) but he still accepts everything I put him through.

We used to have a kelpie heeler cross that was super obedient. Would stay where you put her for ages (long enough to walk home from the shops, remember where you left her and go back for her). Only ate what she was permitted. Learned to leave the room before farting (until my brother untaught it by using it for a party trick for "out").

Her bad habit - demanding you give her something to do. So if you said you couldn't reach the tennis ball to throw for her, because you were in the hammock trying to read a book, she would dump the spit sodden thing in your lap. She also liked to accost strangers and demand they throw the most enormous log of wood she had fetched for them.