Guest belgian.blue

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest english.ivy

Just wanted to double check, Kelly Hooper is the contact for NSW for distribution? Is there anywhere in Sydney?

Check the first post of this thread, has links to all the contact people Australia wide :)Click Here

Does anyone else use their Black Hawk for training treats. I find it especially good for clicker/shaping or teaching hand targets etc because the kibble is just the right size for this. Whatever amounts I use for treats I can then subtract from their daily ration.

I have been tracking this forum for a little while now and was very interested in the long term results people were getting. I have been having trouble finding a premium quality food for my dogs that I was happy with, both money wise and results on my dogs. I was hesitant to start Black Hawk as I find deliveries of goods can be so unreliable, and so is my memory for ordering LOL. But, the company seems to have everything under control and I have just been delivered my first order of Black Hawk, so I am very keen to start my dogs on this! :thumbsup:

Guest english.ivy

Well, a 20kg bag lasts my two large dogs six weeks. That's pretty good :)

Probably longer when Badger has grown up and isn't eating so much food.

I have been tracking this forum for a little while now and was very interested in the long term results people were getting.

On this note, just wanted to add that our pup has been on Black Hawk (puppy formula) for a month or two now, and is going really well! He was on Advance previously, which he was doing well on. His coat is the same if not shinier, energy levels similar, but the big difference is soooooooo much less poo :D and it is generally much firmer and easier to pick up (and in dog owner land, of course, this just brilliant). He doesn't go nuts over the biscuits like some have reported, and it's not really high enough value for me to use it for training, but he's perfectly happy to eat it and work for it from bottles/kongs/wobblers.

The amount I am feeding has also lessened slightly as he seemed to be doing better on BH (I lost sight of the last rib for a while there :laugh: ), not entirely sure if this is due to his slowing growth or the feed but as he's only a bit over six months I'd say it's probably a bit of both. Pup is around 20kg and being fed 1 to 2 cups per day depending on whether he also gets a bone/carcass.

:thumbsup: all round for BH for me!

I just spoke to Julana in Brisbane on the phone and am getting a sample in the next couple of weeks :) My dog is on Nutro at the moment but after reading all the good feedback I think we will switch him over as it seems a lot better and also a lot cheaper :)

my cat is eating some of what my dogs' have left in their bowls. i take the bowl/s up when i hear her at their bowl [and it's usually when she has none of her own black hawk left in her bowl; she's on a diet of sorts].

apart from the obvious differences between the two varieties, and of course the lack of taurine in the dog variety, will my cat's casual munching of 'black hawk dog' cause any issue for her?

Guest english.ivy

my cat is eating some of what my dogs' have left in their bowls. i take the bowl/s up when i hear her at their bowl [and it's usually when she has none of her own black hawk left in her bowl; she's on a diet of sorts].

apart from the obvious differences between the two varieties, and of course the lack of taurine in the dog variety, will my cat's casual munching of 'black hawk dog' cause any issue for her?

My cat LOVES the canine BH. She gets a couple of pieces every few days, when she sneaks some or I give her a little treat. She's been eating it since last year and no harm has come to her. Or when I'm making the dog meals and some falls to the floor, my feline sweeps in and eats it.

I don't think a small amount here and there is an issue.

My cat LOVES the canine BH. She gets a couple of pieces every few days, when she sneaks some or I give her a little treat. She's been eating it since last year and no harm has come to her. Or when I'm making the dog meals and some falls to the floor, my feline sweeps in and eats it.

I don't think a small amount here and there is an issue.

thanks for that :)

Really??? How much are you feeding them? I find a 20kg bag is lucky to last me 3 weeks at present. :grimace:

My guys have been on BH for about 2.5 months now. I really like the product that is for sure (and so do the pooches :laugh:). I do have a couple of questions though...

I've seen alot of posts indicating that the food intake has reduced on switching to BH. My guys seem to be going through more instead of less. Not that it matters really, but how inconsiderate of my guys not to fit with the 'norm'. :laugh:

Also, China is a slightly itchy dog. Her skin will go pink if I change her diet etc, but generally it would rectify itself after a day or so. The last few weeks she has been scratching herself to bits and it's got me stuffed as to why... I am presuming that it's not BH as she's been eating it since the beginning of May... but if it's not that then I have no idea what it is... she's not usually prone to grass type alergies. We haven't moved recently (although we haven't been in this residence for quite 12 months).

Any thoughts?

Maybe the weather? I don't know but my skin gets dry and itchy in the cold, maybe dogs are the same? Have you tried flax seed oil? Melrose does an omega blend especially for dogs. It's meant to be really good for their skin etc. I use that and BH and my labs skin and coat has improved ten fold!

Guest english.ivy

Really??? How much are you feeding them? I find a 20kg bag is lucky to last me 3 weeks at present. :grimace:

Ivy a total of about 1 and 3/4 cups a day and Badger a total of about 3 and a half cups a day. They also get raw meat etc.

No idea about the itchies as my two are fine.

Has anyone else tried the light? Two of mine are on the light and two on the regular, the thing is my girl who needs to be on the regular is jacking up and thinks she likes the light better? I would have thought it all tasted the same and only the fat content would be different, therefore making the regular more appealing?

On the topic of cats eating do food, I have heard on a number of occasions it can be very bad for them. I make it a habit of the cats not having any access to the dog food at all just to be on the safe side.

Well I couldn't get hold of any samples, so going by the great reviews in this thread (and the fact that my adult Berner is not generally a fussy eater) I bought a 20kg bag. Zephyr loves it! I will wait with baited breath to see the long term results. His coat is in quite good condition anyway, but he definitely produces too much waste. He could do with losing a couple of kilos, so I asked the SA supplier about the weight management variety and he said he hadn't heard of one. A little strange, hopefully we get it here soon.

I'm thinking of putting my 16 week old Berner puppy on this food as well. Wondering if anyone has any experience with growing large/giant breeds on Black Hawk? Not sure if I should risk it.

Guest english.ivy

On the topic of cats eating do food, I have heard on a number of occasions it can be very bad for them. I make it a habit of the cats not having any access to the dog food at all just to be on the safe side.

Is that only if they consume a big amount on a daily basis? My kitty eats a piece or two once a week. But since switching her to EP she's stopped trying to steal dog food.

Well I couldn't get hold of any samples, so going by the great reviews in this thread (and the fact that my adult Berner is not generally a fussy eater) I bought a 20kg bag. Zephyr loves it! I will wait with baited breath to see the long term results. His coat is in quite good condition anyway, but he definitely produces too much waste. He could do with losing a couple of kilos, so I asked the SA supplier about the weight management variety and he said he hadn't heard of one. A little strange, hopefully we get it here soon.

I'm thinking of putting my 16 week old Berner puppy on this food as well. Wondering if anyone has any experience with growing large/giant breeds on Black Hawk? Not sure if I should risk it.

Well I raised my Pointer pup on BH from about 6ish months old on BH. The only problem I have is the fat content, it doesn't seem to be high enough to keep enough fat on him, esp over winter. So I'm also feeding Canidae [as this has 20% fat] with the BH and it's working. I will only do this over winter.

No idea if Berners are hard to keep weight on but Pointers are bad for it!

Hi guys, I'm organising to get a bag of black hawk adult (not the puppy) in a few weeks time, around the time our pup will be 9 or 10 weeks old. The breeder weans them onto a combination of Pedigree, ProPlan and CoPrice. Do I just mix it in with the Pedigree and CoPrice that we'll have? And slowly use more black hawk and less of the other two over a few weeks?

Thanks heaps!

Hi guys, I'm organising to get a bag of black hawk adult (not the puppy) in a few weeks time, around the time our pup will be 9 or 10 weeks old. The breeder weans them onto a combination of Pedigree, ProPlan and CoPrice. Do I just mix it in with the Pedigree and CoPrice that we'll have? And slowly use more black hawk and less of the other two over a few weeks?

Thanks heaps!

I've had my BC puppy on Black Hawk Adult since I got him at 11 weeks old & he is doing very well on it. I give him a bit more protein in the form of a small Turkey neck or fresh meat with his rations. I had no trouble putting him straight onto it...his breeder was happy with that :) but to be on the safe side it is best to slowly introduce a new food over about a week.