Real Christmas Trees And Doggies

koalathebear

A little early I know, but the topic came up so I thought I'd post.

This year, because of my father's illness, my OH won't be going back to Canada to spend time with his family at Christmas like he normally would. To try to make up for the undoubted lack of festivity, we're thinking of getting a Christmas tree this year (I normally don't bother). As a Canadian, he only likes the 'real' trees and the plastic trees are an abomination. Does anyone else here get a 'real' tree and if so, how does real tree fare with doggies? Is it dangerous? We'd try to keep them away from it but any stories/photos? :laugh:

And for Canberran DOLers – where does one get a good 'real' tree? :)

ETA: Doggies wouldn't be left alone with the tree as they're never inside unsupervised.

Edited by koalathebear

The RSPCA sells real Xmas trees each year. I'm not sure if they're safe for dogs, but I don't think they would sell them if they weren't. Scouts usually sell them too. Just be warned they make a hell of a mess and vaccuuming up the pine needles is a complete pain in the a.

We have always had a real tree every year. We just moved it to a room that could be closed off when we weren't around to supervise. Also made sure all the more valuable ornaments were located up higher when they were pups and we lost a few cheaper ones that got pinched off the lower branches.

ETA A few photos

IMG_8414.jpg

IMG_8281.jpg

Edited by ness

I have a real Christmas tree although it's a small one. I keep it outside for most of the year and then bring it inside mid December and then put it out again after the twelfth day after Christmas. I keep it in the shade for a while to let it get used to being outside and it has survived for a few years now. When it gets too big for me to carry I'll plant it in the garden and buy another small one. I have heard of male dogs who think it's OK to lift their legs on Christmas trees. I suppose you can't blame them it's what boy dogs do to trees.

With such young dogs as yours it could be worth putting up a baby play pen around the tree to make sure they are not tempted to steal any of the toys hanging there. I've never had a problem with any of my dogs touching the tree but just to be safe I only have soft or plastic decorations definitely no glass balls. The colours are a bit weird in the second photo I really don't have hot pink curtains but you can see how the tree has grown.

2009Christmas.jpg

_MG_9370.jpg

Our (fake) Christmas tree went up on Saturday and my worry was Akira breaking/stealing the decorations and presents. So far she's raced underneath it and made a heck of a racket, but she doesn't seem interested in it other than that.

Cousins always have a real tree and they've never had a problem with their Cocker Spaniel and it.

Ness & 4Kelpies - they are awesome photos!

I was thinking about this the other day... mainly in the context of "how the hell did it become Christmas again..."

We have a fake tree, it will probably go up (I do it on the 1st weekend in December) and we'll see how Kuma goes. He's probably going to be interested in it, so we'll just have to make sure that we supervise at all times.

:laugh: @ the idea of dog pee'ing on it. eeeeewwww...

We have a real tree each year - in the corner near the front window. Our dogs have inside acess all through - I just make sure the cord from the lights goes to the wall "high up", as our Phoebe likes to trance under the tree and I don't want her getting tangled in the cord!

If I were to have a real tree it would need to be fenced off. At least one of my boys would be thrilled that a tree was inside to mark.

I have a little fake tree up high.

RSPCA sell cut off pine trees. If you want the real deal, you can drive out to Gundaroo and get a properly shaped one. Linky to Christmas tree place here.

Edited by poodlefan

It's not the tree that is the problem.

It's the presents one puts underneath it. :D

I thought ours was safe in another room, but someone left a door open.

6am Xmas morning, I gaze bleary eyed out of the kitchen window ---- and wonder what all the flaky things are out on the grass.

Our Weimaraner had acccessed the tree, snffed out the After Dinner Mints, stolen a pack, taken it outside, unwrapped the Xmas paper, taken off the cellophane, Taken them out of the box, one by one, taken each one out of it's little brown envelope and consumed them - one by one.

When I got out there, she was exiting the room with her second pack.

At that stage, I did not know that chocolate was poisonous to dogs. :rofl:

Fortunately, she did not suffer any obvious side effects.

I have no experience with real chrissy trees, but make sure you put your good decos up high as we have lost some over the years when the boys decided it would be fun to play chasey games and grab a new oniment off the tree each time they passed it :rofl:

And our dogs dont even think about peeing on our tree....but the cat did once :D All the presents needed to be re-wrapped after this, lol.

And our dogs dont even think about peeing on our tree....but the cat did once :o All the presents needed to be re-wrapped after this, lol.

eeeewwwww! :D

I feel for Mr Koala - it would be hard to give up a White Christmas and all that it entails. One of the girls at my work is from New York - she's getting a snow machine. It's going to be STINKING hot in Canberra, but she's determined!

(maybe I can arrange for Mr Koala to have a White Christmas after all! :rofl: )

Edited by KumaAkita

Don't do Christmas trees anymore, but always had a real one and no dog ever died. Used to have christmas trees growing wild on our property - again no dog came to any harm chewing them up, ripping off the needles, running around with ten foot branches in their gobs (that one hurt US a lot :rofl:)

Wouldn't worry about it myself

My parents have had a real tree all my life and none of the dogs were done any harm by it.

I now have a fake tree and my problem is the decorations. Always end up with the top half decorated and the bottom half undecorated. Between the dogs and my little nieces they LOVE pulling everything off that is reachable. Then my niece would often decorate it with 'toast' so the dog would try to pull the branches off to get the toast.

Then there are the presents! No harm ever seems to come to them but they ALWAYS get hidden. In the bathroom, under the bed, in the back yard, under the couch etc. I wish I could get into his little brain to find out why :rofl:

I would have thought a real tree would be potentially less dangerous than a fake (or maybe I'm just used to Billie chewing on sticks and plants but still not keen on her eating plastic. Obviously both could cause a problem).

I have been considering our decorations for this year. Tree will go in front entranceway so dog has limited access but just in case...no glass, all large decorations to reduce choking hazard, no tinsel/beads/string decorations, probably no lights, wooden or solid plastic decorations where possible just in case she gets a hold of them.... Ok maybe this is just a great excuse to buy all new decorations. :rofl:

Thanks for the comments all. ness: beautiful photos and beautiful dogs!

PF - I think we'll definitely be driving out to Gundaroo to get a real tree. Thanks for the link, it's very helpful!

KumaAkita - I also feel sorry for OH :D It's hard to give up a traditional Northern Hemisphere Christmas for what's likely to be a somewhat miserable holiday season for the reasons you well know. Ah well.

4 kelpies: I love those photos - although you appear to own a rare white Snow Kelpie in that second photo! They all look so expectant. Waiting for prezzies?

Edited by koalathebear

I usually have a real tree and I have several dogs. Never had any issues. I prefer the real ones too. I grew up with a real tree every year and have continued the tradition, with the exception of last year. I so can't wait til they're out this year. :D

• 1 month later...

OK, so it seems that my fears were misplaced. Hoover and Elbie are totally fine around a real Christmas tree. We followed poodlefan's advice and got a tree from the Christmas Tree Farm in Gundaroo. OH picked a six foot tall tree ... Elbie barked at the tree when it first arrived but other than that, the two now just play near it but don't try to eat it, knock it over or wee on it.

We had some fun around the tree last night.

This is Hoover's favourite spot under the tree (right next to his presents!) The dogs are also leaving the presents alone even though there's an edible rawhide Christmas doggie Christmas card in one and a bunch of dog treats in some of the others.

december12_01.jpg

Hoover and Antlers

xmas2010_09.jpg

Hoover and hat

xmas2010_13.jpg

Elbie and hat

xmas2010_14.jpg

Doggies

xmas2010_08.jpg

Beneath the tree

xmas2010_19.jpg