My Problem Fixed

Kashing

Kashing your puppy may simply be very tired, if he's only just 8 weeks of age and has played with your other dog for 4/5 hours he will be totally exhausted, actually that is far too much for a puppy that young. When pups are very tired they just flop, you can pick them up and they'll just lie down again as if their legs are made of jelly. He will also be suffering a degree of stress caused by leaving his dam and siblings and being transported to a completely different environment with strange people and a strange dog, this will also contribute to his tiredness.

The loose poo could be caused by a combination of stress, exhaustion and perhaps something you've fed him. Have you changed his diet at all? Even a biscuit or a treat he hasn't had before can upset a pup's stomach.

However if there is something wrong with your puppy he will deteriorate very quickly and from what you've said I think it would be sensible to have him checked by a vet as soon as possible.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope your puppy is ok. He could just be exhausted after playing for 4-5 hours. When I brought Kynan home at 8 weeks he would only play for 10-15 minutes and then sleep for 1-2 hours solidly before playing again. A vet check is a good idea just to be sure it isn't something serious because as others have said they can deteriorate very quickly.

Yeh my first thought was that the pup was probably just really tired. First day in his new home and playing with another puppy for hours, he must be exhausted. When we took my dog camping for the first time he was wide awake and playing all day without taking his usual nanna naps and he was dead tired at the end of the day. Could hardly get him into the tent cos he just went limp and refused to move. And he was an adult dog, not an 8 week old baby.

as we can't see the puppy i am going for the "better safe than sorry" approach and i think a vet's opinion should be sought

I agree, if that puppy hasn't 'bounced' back 100% after the time lapse between his exhaustaion and Kashing coming home to take him to the vets I'd be off to the Veterinary Hospital with him if he looks even remotely listless still.

I am back. he is fine, he just play a lot with maltese and missing home, depressed. Once I take him to see the breeder, he look like normal, walking around her and nothing wrong with him. Finally I realised that I over worry about him. :laugh:

The loose poo could be caused by a combination of stress, exhaustion and perhaps something you've fed him. Have you changed his diet at all? Even a biscuit or a treat he hasn't had before can upset a pup's stomach.

However if there is something wrong with your puppy he will deteriorate very quickly and from what you've said I think it would be sensible to have him checked by a vet as soon as possible.

I was wondering this too. Changing homes is stressful enough for a baby without a diet change, too. I'd keep him on what the breeder was feeding for a week or two, until he's settled in, and then think about slowly changing his diet.

Still very smart to take him to the vet, though.

Also... where are the photos? Did I miss the baby photo thread? :laugh:

While far from experienced with puppies, I was aghast when I read that puppy and Maltese had played for 4-5 hours. Puppy would have been completed exhausted.

As JulesP says, you need to ensure that the puppy has regular breaks from play. Once he is a little more settled, I am sure he will just give himself time out in any case.

Huge changes have happened in a tiny puppy's life.

Yep, an 8 week old puppy will not be able to keep up with an older puppy at all, especially with the emotional stress of leaving his litter mates and mum, and moving to a new home.

How is the training going with the maltese? I hope you've been able to find a good training school to help sort out the issues you were having with the older pup.

Yep, an 8 week old puppy will not be able to keep up with an older puppy at all, especially with the emotional stress of leaving his litter mates and mum, and moving to a new home.

How is the training going with the maltese? I hope you've been able to find a good training school to help sort out the issues you were having with the older pup.

ya the gsd pup just 8 wks but the maltese near 13wks, I wont let them play together without supervise. maltese always come and play the hitting game but i worry gsd will misunderstood him and attack the maltese.

I booked the pre school at Bedford-Dianella vet hospital, i am now waiting for their timetable.