Has Your Dog Ever Protected You?

siks3

I wouldn't mind hearing some stories from people that have had their dogs protect them from somebody that wanted to do them harm.

We had somebody try and break into our house a day after Christmas while we were sleeping.

Our akita was asleep in the lounge and he scared them off by barking and growling.

He woke us up in the process.

This is strange because he is a patting machine and loves people and greats everybody with his tail wagging.

I suppose they just know sometimes.

The worst part of this was who ever they were new we were at home.

My daughter had a friend staying over and the lights were on in her room and our car was in our driveway.

They damaged the front door in the process.

They had also vandalized other cars in the street and they got caught by the police.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is scary glad you and your family are ok.

I have never been in that situation but I have no doubt that my oldest dog would come to my defense If I needed him to and possibly my youngest boy too. Hard to know unless I was actually in the situation??

My aunt was up in darwin, and her dog protected her.

They were in a park, and an indigenous homeless man came up to her and was threatening her and I think, I don't rember was trying to assault her. My aunts dog ran up barking and growling and chased the person away. If it wasn't for the dog things could've been different.

Most dogs will protect their territory...and a dog, woken in the night by strange sounds/smells will often bark /growl - it's a very useful response ! :)

I will always have a dog indoors at night for that reason! Not much use having a dog in the backyard if someone is coming in the front door !!

My previous two dogs didn't react well to drunk people, or teenage boys, they would growl ... that suited me , so I didn't try and train them out of it :eek: It came in handy !

Jedi caught someone breaking into my car in the middle of the night once. He was making a fuss to get out of the bedroom - I thought he just wanted to go to the toilet. And then he barked his head off at the front door. I thought he was going bonkers (he usually doesn't alert at night) but when I went to my car in the morning it had been broken into. It was clear that they had been caught in the act and had left in a hurry. The great thing about living with a watchdog! :)

We've had aboriginal men trying to outrun police jump our property fence to find retreat, only to find they've landed themselves locked in a yard with very protective dogs. The police knocked on our front door asking us to call back the dogs that had cornered the man.

I've been out walking my older bitch offleash along a very quiet road on the outskirt of town and had a car follow me asking to take me "home" I said no way in hell and as the man in the backseat opened his door, my bitch came sprinting toward the car teeth showing and all heckled up. Millie is very loyal and protective. She's sweet as sugar, but knows no boundaries when it comes to protecting her owner.

Edited by Parkeyre

We had 2 men jump our fence trying to run away from police and they found themselves in our pool with our Goldie and our friends GSD we were dog sitting doing laps around it so they couldnet get out. I was asleep and woke up in my room with police lights flashing everywhere and the dogs going nuts! I bolted to my parents room ( I was about 14 ) and ran into about every piece of furniture on the way and wouldnt leave there room till the morning! Dad had to call the dogs away and get them inside so the police could get 2 very scared and wet men out of our pool! Our girl Goldie was very very protective of us from that night on until she passed. Makes a great story sitting around the bbq every summer! Lucky we can laugh about it because no-one got hurt and nothing was damaged!

Not protection from people but a roo.

Our old blue heeler (RIP) hated guns, hated going shooting hated even the gas scare guns we use for ducks in the rice bays. If he saw a rifle or shotty go in the car or ute he stayed inside.

My then 22 yr old son went off on the property to shoot a roo for dog meat.

The dog insisted that he go too this time.

Son and dog were walking along hunting and son accidentally got between a roo and its joey.

The roo came in fast. The dog deflected it giving my son time to rush to the car whilst being terrified that his beloved dog would be disemboweled.

Both were shaken but ok.

My mastiff is the biggest sook while I am around and at home but is definately a protector. I called a neighbour who he knows well to get washing in out of the rain one day and she couldnt get past the gate. People have pulled up out the front while the kids are playing and spoken to them and he has warned them off with a few barks. And I've had someone knock on the door at midnight to which I let ziz answer it with me. Turned out he had the wrong house :S It is easy for him to scare though he just has to walk with u and grumble and people don't like it.

When we had our standard schnauzer, Peppi and I were out walking when a fellow, who obviously didn't like dogs threatened to hit me if I didn't call my dog away. Mind you, Peppi was oblivious of his presence until he started yelling at me. Somehow Peppi understood his body language and just stood next to him baring his teeth to warn him off. He made no attempt to attack or lunge, but I have no doubt if given the command he would have. Never had any trouble from that fellow again.

I had a dog that was the most loyal dog I had ever owned and one of the most trustworthy dogs around other animals and all different ages and gender of people.

The only time I saw her show some sort of aggression was on our ritual 5am morning walk before high school, because it was early it was dark and there were no street lights. She all of a sudden started to growl and stood right in front of me with her behind touching my legs. I thought maybe there was some sort of animal and she was growling because she was uncertain of what was there, so I started calling "kitty kitty" in case it was a cat only to realise there was a man standing between two small gumtrees 3 feet in front of my dog, I didn't see him until my eyes adjusted to the darkness and saw his silhouette and the light of his smoke. I dragged my dog passed him and got the hell out of there. Eeep!

Also I do want to add something in-regards to Parkeyre and Bundy's mums comments, I don't want to be that politically correct person, but it wouldn't of mattered if the man/men were Indigenous/aboriginal or not as the events would of been terrifying no matter what race the men were, it just came off that there was extra to be fearful about because they were indigenous/Aboriginal, there was just no reason to put a persons race in the story.

Yes, Ruby has protected me a number of times. She's got a loud voice for such a small dog (staffy x) and she's amazing to see with hackles up and teeth bared.

Had a bloke ring the doorbell once looking for someone who I assume doesn't exist, to complete a job at my house which was actually provided by my ex's employer so definitely the wrong house to choose. Ruby came bolting down the stairs, in full voice (her alert bark is something to behold!) and hackles up. Ex spoke to the bloke while I wrote down rego and vehicle description and got a look at the bloke too.

Turns out this drongo had been door-knocking in order to find out who had dogs, where keys were kept, and what portable valuables were lying around (eg handbags, mobile phones, CDs etc). Some of our neighbours had their cars stolen with their own keys!!!

Police got him. :eek:

Molly is also a barker. She really goes off at people she doesn't like (which seems to be most men, a lot of women, and some kids). I always trust her judgements when it comes to her barking at men...and she's never been wrong yet. :mad

Lilly could care less, but then she's a greyhound. :)

My dogs are trained to protect us ... but when my now older boy was about 5 months old I had taken him to visit my parents. I had stopped off in town first to check the post office box and because I left the sleeping pup in the back seat I had left my window half way down. Being a quiet town I wasn't worried about locking up the car while I was still able to keep an eye on it.

I had just turned my back to put the key in the PO box when a scream made me turn around .... a young guy had reached through the drivers side to grab my handbag from the passenger seat and the young pup in the back seat launched himself at the guy and bit him on the arm.

The guy was stupid enough to then walk up to the police car which was parked about 4 metres in front of me and complain to the police office that my dog had bitten him. The officers (and about 5 people in the area) had watched him put his arm in the car to take my handbag (and they all knew the guy well) so he ended up being arrested for a couple of previous thefts.

I believe the police officers told him he was too stupid to be a thief ...

My girl protects me, but not always for the best! When she knocked my off my bike some very nice men stopped to help me up and she wouldn't let them near me until my mother caught up. When my parents are away she always answers the door with me and I make sure to give her permission when people are hanging around our back fence (house backs onto a very busy main road and school oval)

I was camping at a rest stop , in the middle of the night a car came in and the person from it proceeded to walk round the tent , quite close to it, at one point got even closer ,no need as there was plenty of space to walk elsewhere . Well Chopper gave this ground rattling growl and the feet soon went walkies far far away :rofl:

My freeinds worry about me , but I don't , not with my dogs :D

My mums Wei Sinta was always very protective of her when my father went away.

She managed to stop two break ins during the time we had her.

My Lab Lestat went crazy at a guy who was following me one night when he was only very young, thankfully the guy buggered off after that.

And Mistral lept in front of me and barked like crazy one night when my neighbour walked up our driveway without saying anything and scared the crap out of all of us.

This relates to a dog I currently have and one that was pts a couple of years ago. They were mother and son rescues (who came to me at different times). The son was scared of everything and the mother had been raised to be a tough dog for hunting trips. I've posted in the heroes thread how they got help for me when I had a bad accident and lived on acreage.

But about a nine months after we moved to the suburbs both dogs were down in the back lounge with me while I was watching tv, fast asleep after a very long and active day. Suddenly they both jumped up and ran up to the top of the house making noises I have never heard before. They sounded like rabid police dogs. I followed them up there and quickly realised someone was in my house. I grabbed the portable phone and legged it out the back door with the dogs following me and rang triple 0. The awful part was the police were all out on other jobs and couldn't come to the house so the triple 0 guy made me walk back into the house with the dogs (who were clearly on full alert and snarling) and check each room one at a time and shut each room as I had checked it and lock all the windows and doors. Dog knows what I would've done if there was someone still in there. Absolute scariest thing I've ever had to do. My sister's boyf at that time was a security guard so at least he came over and checked every nook and cranny again for me.

Even though I am highset three men had gotten in a window by standing on my wheelie bins. They had torn all three bedrooms apart looking for stuff (which they threw out the windows) and had even unplugged all my computer gear and where moving that out through the front door when the dogs heard them. No police came until noon the next day and all my stuff had to stay like it was. They took fingerprints and at least one of the men was caught because when the dogs went crazy he'd jumped from one of my windows and broken his ankle. He was caught trying to rob another house the same night where a guy beat him with a plank of wood. And I can still remember to this day the smell of alcohol in the house from them.