Has Your Dog Ever Protected You?

siks3

Bubby does.

One dark morning I was in a park and the dogs were offlead. This guy entered the park and started following me around. It was 5.30 am and very dark so I was really nervous and it was getting obvious he was following me. I called out "Bubby dog, come to Mummy" and Bubby ran over. He saw the man, ran over to him and started barking. Man backed off, Bubby stopped barking and followed him until he moved away from us. Then Bubby ran back to me.

I was so proud of him!

Since then I have noticed that he is pretty alert in the mornings. When he sees a lot of workers around the park, he will stop his sniffing and marking and just sit near me (about 3 m away from me) looking alert but very pleasant!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, my previous Rotti's Zahr & Zolly from way back, we would take them on a walk together along the Princes Hwy sometimes then around the blocks late at night, no idea why but we did (we all went, I was a kid and way too strong for me!) and we came across a man in front of a car yard. He started to talk to us, he was a bit weird from what I can remember very suss, and my uncle being the talkative type was chatting and the Russian put his arm up to lean on the fence, well, Zahr just growled and ready to attack because he thought he was going to touch me, lets just say we quickly moved on.

I only thought this the other night too, Tahli (my rotti x) just got up and was barking and growling late at night at the back door, I obviously crapped myself thinking someone was there but took the courage to have a look but nothing there. She's never gotten so worked up before and pacing around as if to scare something away. No idea, but not sure if it's a territorial thing or not. At least I know she would alarm us if anything is going on.

A friend's Maremma attempted to stop her daughter from going out the back door by trying to herd her away from the door. The child continued and opened the door, so the dog pushed past, picking up a snake from the back step. The snake bit the dog and he died. I consider that to be a selfless act, but I can't think of too many others!

What a brave, loyal dog. How sad that it died from the snake bite ;) :laugh: :D

Some really wonderful stories in here. This is the reason dogs need to be loved and treated right because they will love us and protect us.

Keira has never had to be in the position to protect me but I know she would if she ever felt someone was a threat to me. Phoenix is too young and also has never been in that position.

Keira did chase off someone who was in our front yard trying to break into my house mates car although we didn't know that was why she was barking and carrying on until the next morning when he went to get into his car.

A few years ago when my family was overseas there had been a bad storm and we lost our electricity for a while. My family had been trying to contact me over the phone and were worried when they couldn't reach me, so they called a family friend and asked him to pop over. I was out at the time and apparently my stumpy tail cattle dog X Jessie went nuts and she kept on launching herself at the door at him. For years after she continued to launch herself at the door if this friend or his wife came to visit when we were here!

When we are out and about Jessie has really become a lot more confident with strangers and is very sweet with people, young and old. There have been a couple of occasions where she has not wanted to have a bar of someone, and she will stand back from them and bark. She did this a few months ago at the park when an older rough looking guy walked through the park. Then recently at a park this man who sat in his car the entire time I was there tried to call her over and she didn't want to know him either. I tend to trust her judgement! I think dogs are a good judge of character.

Earlier in the year, late one evening the dogs started going nuts at the door, I was alone and I didn't try to stop them just in case. I heard the next morning our neighbour's place was broken into while they were home! :laugh: Who knows if my dogs put them off!

Edited by fainty_girl

Our dogs have been selected for a protective instinct,so many examples from here.They take the job seriously but calmly.

The dog that made me appreciate this quality was my 1st dog as a child.A collie cross I had for 18 years.

He was 5 years old when I went "camping "with 6 other kids.5 girls and a little brother of 7 in an old run down rural home stead.

About 9 pm we heard some one on the roof.They were running back and forth and tho' logic told me it was likely a practical joker,at 14 years I wasn't game to take that for fact.

We had 7 kids screaming their lungs out and racing back back and forth inside.I tried to go out to see who it was but the foot steps above my head made afraid to go through the door.

I looked for the dog and saw him running about 70 metres away and thought he was pretty useless way out there(but he could see)

There were 2 doors into the house and as I came back from one door the culprit climbed down and came in the other door.The kids were all laughing in releif that it was just a big sister from a neighbouring property.

Next thing I know my dog streaked into the room from the oposite door and leaped for the girls throat!I literaly grabbed him in mid air by the collar.As soon as he realsed the kids were laughing and in no danger he calmed to be patted.

Being in the bush is no safer realy,we have had fugitives from the police try to seek refuge here,so appreciate dogs who can be relied on when needed yet safe to be unconfined in a family and farm situation.

One of our dogs was laying on the hall floor with visiting children sprawled with her when their father came in and started yelling at them.The dog stood up and placed herself between father and children and just gave a low growl.He stopped yelling and just said to me "I've been told" The dog was fine with him for the rest of the 3 days they were here.

My kids,being in town have many more incidents of being protected from both people and dogs.No ones been bitten.The intense look and huge growls have always been enough with people any way.Dogs have been bitten and a pup from the same lines grabbed a mans ankles when he tried to throw his neice,the dogs owner, in the pool and she screamed.She held on till he let the girl go.He had only scratches to show for it but this pup suprised me as she is so non confrontational and makes it clear she just wants to be friends and play with every one,especialy children.

Edited by moosmum

I don't think my dog acted in an effort to protect me, I think he acted out of his own interests and in the protection of his territory.

Good point. Although I suppose it leads back to that "there are no selfless acts" debate.

A friend's Maremma attempted to stop her daughter from going out the back door by trying to herd her away from the door. The child continued and opened the door, so the dog pushed past, picking up a snake from the back step. The snake bit the dog and he died. I consider that to be a selfless act, but I can't think of too many others!

My sister has seperate maremmas both for their sheep and goats but also to protect her when her hubby is off working. The dogs bond with their flock, including human flock. Noone can get into the house yard with Frosty loose. So when her daughter (who also lives on a remote property) started having children she got them a maremma too. This dog's purpose is to stay around the house and watch the kids. Their oldest daughter was quite the wanderer so this dog has spent a lot of time rounding her up and pushing her back into the house yard over the years.

Oooh I just remembered a good one.

Not my dog but a friends.

One night I was walking with my friend to meet her boyfriend. It was winter and very dark.

We saw the boyfriend from a distance and he has his Rottie Rio with him, he was an amazing dog, very calm and gentle, never so much as raised an eyebrow to anyone.

My friend didn't think anything of it and ran full pelt at her boyfriend.

Just as she got near him Rio launched out and pinned her to the ground, he had her head in his mouth.

He didn't hurt her at all but she certainly wasn't getting up with a Rottie sitting on her chest.

He moved the moment the boyfriend told him too.

Lesson learnt, she never ran up to anyone in the dark again!

Edited by Bjelkier

I've not yet been in a situation where I'm in potential danger with my dog.

My 7 month old Airedale Stanley is friendly to strangers, so I don't expect him to 'protect' me.

However just recently his territorial instinct has started to kick in. One night I took Stanley out to toilet in the backyard while the OH was spraying fly spray around the side of the house. When OH was walking towards me in the darkness, Stanley ran towards him, gave a warning bark, stopped then hackled with a mean growl. He wouldn't back off until OH walked into the light and I said it's OK.

Stanley also barks and growls at strange noises at night. Most times it's nothing but I'm thankful he does it anyway, because I'm home alone most of the time and doG knows what can happen.

On one occasion I had arrived late at the grounds for a show. We had put the tent up and got the dogs out to stretch their legs and toilet before going to bed.

A bloke had heard us chatting and came up to let us know that another camper had his male dog not tied up in a stay near his van and had gone upstairs for tea.

It was 11.30pm and he walked towards us with a torch that he shone directly at my dog and myself. I was trying to get a bit of a look at him but was finding it hard due to the torch. I looked at my bitch as her lead went tighter, she had all her weight rocked back over her hindquarter, hackles up, teeth out and started a low growl.

I told him to stop-which he immediately did, asked him what he wanted. He quickly explained, I told him to drop his torch as we couldn't see him. He dropped his torch and I told my girl it was okay. She relaxed a little but was still keeping her eye one him. I told the bloke he was very close to being bitten and shouldn't walk up like that un-announced. I told him I was sorry my dog had reacted that way but what did he expect when he walked up like that in the middle of the night.

I thought he might be a bit put off, but he couldn't stop talking about how lovely it was too see a dog doing what it was bred for. Considering he had Cattle dogs I would have thought he would have known better!

Th only other time she guarded was at the same show when a person said they were not afraid of my Dobe and would sneak into my tent and show me that she was a pussy cat. They had had a few drinks - she was not at all fond of drunk people. The snuck over in a loudish drunk way. She started to rumble, they got closer, she started roaring and they decided that maybe they wouldn't try and sneak into my tent!

My girl would like to think that she protects me (well herself :D) from the postie (the one that delivers the parcels to the door), the Jehovah Witnesses, the kids doing chocolate drives and the Heart Foundation door knockers.

But it reality, I protect her. That's my job as her owner. I protect her from offlead dogs that approach her, friendly or not, because she isn't friendly herself. I make sure she keeps out of trouble, whether it be visitors in my home or when we are out in public.

We have quite a rapport with the postie. He waits patiently while I send my girl to her spot and reward. And me and my other, very friendly dog, open the door and greet him. He is a very nice man and along the way I have found out that he likes dogs. I think I get waaaay too many parcels.

When the drunk individuals knocked over our side gate and tried to run into our yard, both of our dogs were happily curled up in bed. Us humans went out to investigate and the dogs didn't feel it necessary to involve themselves. Just as well, because our side gate was knocked over and it would have been awful if they had have gotten out and were injured/killed.

Possums are worthy of their attention, but real drama is for humans to deal with, thank you very much. :heart:

So sorry, no heroic stories here.

Edit - better wording.

Edited by Henrietta

My old Goldie woke me up in the middle of the night growling and barking differently to what I had ever heard him do before. I am quite sure we had a prowler and he was scared off by the dog.

Dogs really are the best alarms :)

Yes, my papillon does this too and I like it as it makes me feel safe knowing I will get a warning if someone is prowling around at night. Last year, he woke me early in the morning about 5am growling, and then a minute later my neighbour called upset because a man had tried to get in through her window.

lol @ some peoples definition of protect.

Believe it or not, most dogs will not protect their owners. This is even true for the traditional 'guard' breeds. Barking/growling at some noise/people doesn't amount to protection. The dog isn't being stressed/pushed, it isn't having its nerve/courage truly tested. Oh and who cares if a small dog protects you, it isn't hard to hurt a small dog lol.

Try standing somewhere in a corner and have a confident aggressive person approach you with a weapon (that they aren't afriad to use on you/your dog whilst kicking your dog). Let's see how many dogs protect then. Probably only dogs that have been bred for protection work and trained accordingly to cope with stressful situations.

Just sayin...

Edited by DerRottweiler

yeh yeh I know people always have to say that - who cares really if the person backs off because my dog growled, good it worked!

Not all dogs are working line bred and Schutz trained. So what. People every day avoid being hurt due to the way their PET dog acted. Call it what you will. Luckily I have never been a position where my life depended on my dogs reaction. She passed her WAC test, yes I know die hard Schutz people would probably laugh it out of the water etc, but she showed she had courage and would not back down. Good enough for me and good enough quite often for a would be criminal!

ok end of rant ....sorry... back to normal programming :)

lol @ some peoples definition of protect.

Believe it or not, most dogs will not protect their owners. This is even true for the traditional 'guard' breeds. Barking/growling at some noise/people doesn't amount to protection. The dog isn't being stressed/pushed, it isn't having its nerve/courage truly tested. Oh and who cares if a small dog protects you, it isn't hard to hurt a small dog lol.

Try standing somewhere in a corner and have a confident aggressive person approach you with a weapon (that they aren't afriad to use on you/your dog whilst kicking your dog). Let's see how many dogs protect then. Probably only dogs that have been bred for protection work and trained accordingly to cope with stressful situations.

Just pissing all over an otherwise perfectly entertaining thread.

FYP.

There have been some dark nights when I take the dogs for a walk and we come across some threatening looking people, Maverick will put on this deep growl with his hackles up until we get past them, he then continues to look behind while we walk too make sure they are not following us.

Another time, my Heart dog Tinka :laugh: stopped me from walking out the garden gate onto a main road at our holiday house, I would have been about 4.

She watched me walk towards the gate and Tinka ran to the back door and was scratching and crying her heart out to get my mum's attention.

Then when mum came out and Tinka led her to where I was walking out the gate!

My breed is the boxer - well, my main one. They are a companion/guard dog.

I have had many of them over many years. Not one has ever failed to step up to the plate to protect me or mine when the occasion arose. I have taken them to horse shows, and had all my expensive gear guarded, they have backed off unsavoury people, one went outside and attacked prowler and drove him off ahd chased off dingoes or wild dogs intent on attacking me

The answer is "yes" every single time.

Many years ago when my parents lived in West Africa they unwittingly drove thru' a village that for some reason was all stirred up-the villagers were all off the planet on palm wine. The villagers completely surrounded the car and started rocking it at which point my Mums Great Dane woke up (she had been asleep on the back seat)stuck her head out the window and started giving those deep Dane barks and growls-the crowd fell back just enough to allow my Dad to get the hell out of there-my Mum was convinced that the dog saved their lives that day. Normally the Africans were very friendly but, like all drunken mobs the potential for violence was very high.

my son and i had gone out to dinner at a friends place and took the dog with us.. left to head home and a wandering dog went to have a go at us and my big boofy boy got in between us and chased the dog away.. my son was terrified for weeks of dogs coming out of the dark and getting him when we were out at night walking home from my friends place..

I agree that it is really my job to protect my dog from people, dogs and everything else, but that said, there have been a few instances where I have felt quite powerless, but fortunately, my dog was able to help me deal with or better yet avoid a potentially undesirable situation. He has not been protection trained so I don't know how far he would actually go, but he has positioned himself between me and scary people approaching on several occasions. Sometimes, I'm not even scared yet because I haven't noticed the person yet, but my dog will just stop, hackles raised and let out this omen style spooky growl, staring directly at whatever is bothering him. He typically looks back at me continuously too, as if to see what I make of the situation. If I keep walking, he will too, but unless told to do otherwise, he will walk between me and the potential threat and continue to growl from time to time. I have never been unhappy with his response because he only does it with people that I would be worried about too, and he is not excessive or dangerous about it, just kind of sets up a perimeter around us but doesn't charge or chase them or anything if they keep their distance.

Once he was at my mum's place alone, and the cleaners who come on a random day each fortnight showed up when no-one else was home. Well, he wouldn't let them in the house, they could stand there with the front door open and be ok, but he would not let them cross the threshold. They actually tried to use a broom to move him out of the way, as they said a lot of the houses they clean have dogs and this typically works for them, but in this case, the dog bit the broom and continued to snarl at them. As soon as I got home and told him it was ok, his ears went back and he put his super cute face on and started acting like the cleaners were his long lost best friends - took them quite a bit longer to be comfortable with him though lol

My fox terrier cross RIP also tried to be protective, but I could tell he wouldn't stand his ground, he was too scared. When confronted by the perceived threat, he would turn tail and run, but return to barking behind them as soon as they turned their back on him. I imagine the cleaners would have easily been able to push him out of the way with the broom. That said, I think what many people have been saying is true, a barking dog alone is a pretty good deterrent and hence decent protection.

Not only my own dog, but a flatmate's 2 dogs also, got between me and a drunk and aggressive other flatmate who was brandishing a knife at us in a drunken rage.

I'm fussier about flatmates nowadays, but I have no doubt each and every dog I've ever owned would get between me and danger without hesitation. Dogs don't have to be fully specialist trained to protect their pack members IMHO... mine are treated with love and respect, and give that back to me a thousandfold in so many ways...

T.