Dogs Reactions To Fireworks

Janba

Last night Izzi was going to do her first jumping trial & 5 mins before we were due to go in the fireworks went off & that was the end of her trial. Poor little thing :heart: if I had let her off the lead she would have bolted, lucky she was in a crate, scared but not panicking. JC was a bit scared, Delta not to bad & Pebbles couldn't care less.

That is a shame Dova :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't hear them. My older dog was in the air-con with my parents. The younger one, much to her disgust, was 'slumming' it with me in my room under a fan. I was in bed by ten so I don't remember hearing any.

My younger dog used to be the one that was scared of storms/loud noises. Now it's the older one that is a concern. :heart: But thankfully we either had none, or none of us heard them.

None of our dogs seemed to care. The older two just slept through it and didn't even flinch haha. I was a bit worried that Boomer might be frightened because last new years he was only 14 weeks old but I popped him in his crate with a bone and he didn't even hear the fireworks I dont think lol!

Neither of our dogs could care less about storms or fireworks. Maybe a few barks at neighbours' parties but that's it.

We left ours home alone overnight, got home this morning and they were fine.

My poor Belgian was a quivering heap. We didn't have pretty fireworks courtesy of the clowns down the hill, we had canons. The little guy thought he was tough and barked at them. Old Columbus slept through it all since he is deaf as a post.

My biggest concern were the horses who were thundering around the paddock.

What rocket surgeon lets off fireworks in the middle of the bush?

Its so frustrating isn't it? Last night the people letting off fireworks also let them off on Christmas night, and we weren't really prepared for them. Last night they were also letting off bungers etc. Just silly there are so much valuable stock and horses on our place and the surrounding farms. We think we know the smaller block it was coming from, but proving it is a different story. Our horses startle to begin with then settle, as they are used to all the neighbours shooting.

We survived just.

I went to bed just after 1 as all seemed quiet and had got the dogs peed and in bed when the fools down the road started leeting off their bombs and it started again and lasted till 2am. The problem is that they let one off every 5 or so minutes and they are r4eally loud but not as bad as the ones last year that rattled the windows and started the fireworks fear in my boys.

After last night I am sooooo grateful that Bundy's breeder desensitises them all when they are little. He slept through, even when there were constant rumbles of fireworks for over 2hrs and thats not including the illegal ones being let off on 3 sides of us. Poor Diesel was panicking, and didn't stop until the last firework did. He really really hates them.

Hugo did well actually, our neighbors were letting off fireworks and apart from having his ears pricked to attention through the entire thing, he was behaving more curious to work out what the noise was rather than reacting in a panicked way. :) He's my little champion :)

My Border Collie is generally unphased in the past.

1 Kelpie runs and barks everytime one goes off - very annoying.

The other Kelpie is petrified of noises (but has been shot beofre so is a realistic fear for her). She gets extremely scared and wants to come inside and just sit near me. She otherwise never comes inside.

Not sure of the new dog as I was out last night and she was still tied up to kennel when I got home. I asked the old owner if she would have heard any before and he said no but is unphased by stockwhip and guns.

Nova gets really freaked out by them, so he was in his crate with a cover over it, in my room. I had my TV up loud but we had idiots across the road let some off so it didn't matter, he still stressed himself out majorly :) He used to be so good as well, just ignored them but has become more of more stressed as the years have gone.

Darcy reacts because Nova reacts and barked occasionally, but was excited by it rather than scared. Jovi was trying to sleep through it, but kept being woken up, so was telling the two others off as well as the fireworks.....bossy little bitch she is! :)

Might invest in one of those Thundershirts for Nova next year and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by tollersowned

Well i gave my dally 'xanox' from the vet for the first time last night, and it had no effect whatsover :)

Is it valium or ace?

We had them going off really close last night, him and my cattle were petrified, so i brought them in with me to watch braveheart .

My new bt girl was fast asleep outside on her bed, legs in air , not at all fazed :)

The other 2 stayed in all night, but one cowered and panted, and my dally paced and barked. :)

xanax is a drug given to humans as a tranquilizer. It is a benzodiasapine (sp) of the same family as vallium. Assume the xanox from the vet is the same or similar.

First year with my girl (at 9 months) were at a dog show - and she was safely in her trolley at midnight when the fireworks went off. She was a little nervous but not too bad - fireworks quite a long way away.

Last year they started the second show early, which was fine, but our group didn't break at midnight like they were supposed to. We were in the ring at midnight. She wasn't happy. Freaked out. I think more from the people around our ring who yelled and shouted happy new year and let off lots of party poppers right outside the ring while we were in it as much as from the fireworks.

This year - all over and home by 11:45 - so all safely inside. They both barked a couple of times at the bangs - but that was more of a 'how dare you, go away' than from fear or panic. They settled down after the first couple of bangs and didn't worry. They were more excited by the party across the road with the yelling.

I live near a hospital, so helicopters and sirens are pretty normal.

Edited by jr_inoz

Both mine were probably miffed that we didn't take them to the foreshore with us. They usually come out the front with me I'm the evening when there are fireworks going off at the football stadium or the showground (all within easy walking distance of our place) and watch them together.... They seem to write enjoy them.

Nova gets really freaked out by them, so he was in his crate with a cover over it, in my room. I had my TV up loud but we had idiots across the road let some off so it didn't matter, he still stressed himself out majorly :) He used to be so good as well, just ignored them but has become more of more stressed as the years have gone.

Minty is the same, was fine for years, then two years ago someone let off fireworks in our street - I was out and came home to a dog covered in blood from pulling palings off the side gate to get out. Luckily she didn't get past the front gate, which is metal.

For the last two years, she has been completely freaked any time there are fireworks. She has improved in the last few months and at least has stopped ripping apart fences!

My kelpie just barks a bit then goes to sleep. Pretty much his attitude to life really.

ACP is now believed to be contraindicated in fearful situations at it stops them looking scared but doesn't stop them being scared. Valium type drugs are believed to help and can be given after they start being scared as in humans it causes short term memory loss as well as being an anxiolytic: so not only does it stop you being scared, you forget why you were scared in the first place so there is no reinforcement.

I have found DAP (spray or plug in diffuser) to be very helpful. This is available from your vets. This is a pheromone product that gives off the pheromone that the bitch gives off to puppies and is very comforting. It works in about 80% of dogs and turned my JRT from a quivering wreck to a relatively settled dog in the UK 3 weeks that is "bonfire night". Ideally it takes 3 weeks for maximum effect using the diffuser but the spray works immediately but needs topping up over the night.

Mine all seemed to ignore the fireworks but barked a bit at the other neighbourhood dogs barking. We have had random fireworks over the last few weeks. It's such a relief to not have to worry too much, we've had a thunder/fireworks manic dog in the past and even when she was ancient and could barely walk she'd still manage to move boulders and rip up fencing in her panic - and she was only about 8kg Aussie Terrier.