When Buying From A Registered Breeder Poll 1

SwaY

When looking for a Registered puppy  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about the breeders website when choosing a breeder?

• YES - I like a good flashy website
    • No - I don't care
    • N/A
  2. 2. Would you buy from a Regsitered breeder who was not a member of there BREED club?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  3. 3. How long would you wait for a Registered puppy from your chosen breeder?

• 1-3 months
    • 3 -6 months
    • 6 - 12 months
    • 1 - 2 years
    • 2 - 3 years
    • 4 - 5 years
    • N/A

I would buy from a breeder who wasn't a member of the breed club. Just because someone has a membership, to me, it doesn't mean an awful lot. They may have just joined for the status and not be active in any capacity, or may not attend the club shows.

Having seen the breeding practices of some of the members of my breed clubs, a breeder having membership means little to me too. :heart:

Vic Dane one has a COE, first one to do it. :cheer:

All clubs must bring a COE after a certain date if I remember correctly, the VCA sent something out about it a while ago.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for flashy websites full of sparkly rubbish and those weird "cursor" paw things (that I zoom all over the screen). I want the website to be professional looking with correct grammar and spelling otherwise it looks tacky. I also can't stand those midi wave music that goes on websites either.

I am not a member of a breed club so that doesn't bother me if someone else isn't a member. In a previous breed I was show sec and vice president and quite a few only joined to get their pups on the litter register only. I commend all those hard workers in breed clubs/all breed clubs but I just don't have the tolerance for the drama and BS that goes on.

Waited nearly 2 years for my first whippet. I wanted one from a specific breeder in the country and they were winding down their whippet breeding :heart: so I had to wait a bit. Was well worth it though...

I would buy from a breeder who wasn't a member of the breed club. Just because someone has a membership, to me, it doesn't mean an awful lot. They may have just joined for the status and not be active in any capacity, or may not attend the club shows.

Having seen the breeding practices of some of the members of my breed clubs, a breeder having membership means little to me too. :heart:

Me too.

Me too.

Every club/organisation has some bad eggs, you either need to convert them or give them the boot!

If we're speaking as a potential pet owner, I would wait maybe 6-8 months, maybe more depending on the breed I wanted but I think if I hadn't made any headway after a few months......been able to at least talk to a few breeders ad get some idea about when pups might be available, then I'd choose another breed.

It seems to be some sort of badge of honour on here to say "Well, I had to wait umpteen years to get the dog I wanted, so everyone else should have to as well!"

When I started looking for a pet I gave it a couple of months pursuing a couple of breeds, did not make what I consider to be satisfactory headway so went in a different direction and had a pup a week later. And that is the breed I've stuck with. I wanted a dog, I wanted it as soon as possible and I knew I could give it a fabulous home and if there were breeders looking to sell their pups, I was willing to consider that breed.

I wanted a dog, I wanted it as soon as possible

Well that's the answer.

Joe Public wants a dog and they want it now. Comes back to the poster who said most people dont care - I totally agree. They want a puppy now. Fight that little acorn.

If we're speaking as a potential pet owner, I would wait maybe 6-8 months, maybe more depending on the breed I wanted but I think if I hadn't made any headway after a few months......been able to at least talk to a few breeders ad get some idea about when pups might be available, then I'd choose another breed.

It seems to be some sort of badge of honour on here to say "Well, I had to wait umpteen years to get the dog I wanted, so everyone else should have to as well!"

When I started looking for a pet I gave it a couple of months pursuing a couple of breeds, did not make what I consider to be satisfactory headway so went in a different direction and had a pup a week later. And that is the breed I've stuck with. I wanted a dog, I wanted it as soon as possible and I knew I could give it a fabulous home and if there were breeders looking to sell their pups, I was willing to consider that breed.

It is not about a badge of honour, it is about knowing what you want and having the patience to wait until is available.

I can't imagine changing breeds just because you click your fingers and it isn't there when you want it.

It is not about a badge of honour, it is about knowing what you want and having the patience to wait until is available.

I can't imagine changing breeds just because you click your fingers and it isn't there when you want it.

With my last puppy, I had a four month wait but that was because I lucked out finding a breeder with a litter on the way. I imagine that it would be difficult for those who have to wait a much longer time. I actually found the wait rather fun because I shopped for puppy things and even ran a poll as to what he should be named.

But if after a few months of trying to contact breeders and get some idea of availability, and not getting anywhere, then yes it's reasonable to look at it from a different angle.

That's not clicking your fingers then changing your mind because it isn't there immediately.

Sometimes it's a matter of not understanding the availablity of that particular breed......just last week my son said he'd love to get XXX breed (can't remember what it was), and I said "Good luck, there aren't any in Australia, so dunno where you're gonna get one from". He thought cos he'd read about it on the internet, seen it in breed books, that he could get one here. He now needs to set his sights in a different direction if he really wants a dog.

I wanted a dog, I wanted it as soon as possible

Well that's the answer.

Joe Public wants a dog and they want it now. Comes back to the poster who said most people dont care - I totally agree. They want a puppy now. Fight that little acorn.

we need to revive the saying " all good things come to those that wait"

I like a breeder to firstly have a website if they dont i move on as i like to look at photos, see the pedigree, look at the sire/dam, look at health testing if it has been done, future litter plans, breed information. I like a website to be up to date.

I dont care if a breeder belongs to a club, as some dont follow the club rules anyway.

Im happy to wait 6-12months, i would wait longer as well.

My answers

1. No

2. Yes

3. As long as it takes.

:heart::cheer: :D

same here!

as I have been buying for many years, the website thing is so recent that I'm not really interested. Anyone can have a flash website, anyone can hire someone to do it, or do it themselves, any information can be put on there.

that is not to say I do not think they are very useful and enjoy reading them.

I would never base anything on one though.

I do prefer breed club interest, but it is more chance that I have had breeders who are involved than looking for one who is.

I have waited years for several dogs. Not an issue. ;) I am a pet owner only.

I do like a good website, just to see pictures- achievements etc.

There are some great breeders in the breed I'm looking at. The websites have pictures of the pups growing up in their pet homes too.

I think that shows that these are breeders who won't just give you a puppy then never respond to your emails.

Luckily for me in the breed I'm looking a large number of the breeders are DOL members, so I've gotten a feel for the kind of people they are in an informal way.

They are all lovely btw :cheer:

The breed club thing doesn't bother me.

Since the breed I'm seeking is still fairly rare I'm expecting to wait about 1-2 years (well from when I decided I wanted one :heart: )

There have been opportunities for me to get a pup earlier, but I think I'll wait it out

But its also about time suitability to get another dog. I waited little over 6 months for our last dog. It would have been difficult to wait much longer as the ages of our other dogs were a key factor in terms of when we wanted another dog. Other people have other factors- age of their kids, living situation etc. While i don't agree with the "i want it now' attitude, i think longer than 6 months is going to be pushing it for most people.

I do like an informative website. Flashy is a bit of a subjective term, but I see why you used it. :heart:

The waiting time thing is hugely individual. If it was an important show or breeding dog or bloodline you were wanting most people would wait as long as it took.

I think one of the things that dog people might not always realise about pet puppy buyers is that they have a different approach. Puppy buyers normally start looking for their pup when their situation becomes right for it, or after the death of another pet. They don't necessarily spend a few years preparing for the death of their pet by planning or booking the next one, or if they are changing living conditions/moving house/waiting for kids to be old enough etc they don't plan years ahead for their dog. They wait until everything is right, then start looking for their pup. This isn't any more or less wrong than a breeder or showie booking a puppy years ahead, it is just how things are.

So yes, they often do want a pup now, that's just how people often do it. It doesn't necessarily mean they're being impulsive either.

My biggest issue with websites is the poor spelling and grammar. I want to be able to understand what I am reading.

ie like in the poll above the spelling for "their website" is correct "there website is incorrect" it really annoys me, and I actually have a number of friends who agree.

Spelling the name correctly of your chosen breed is really, really important.

My biggest issue with websites is the poor spelling and grammar. I want to be able to understand what I am reading.

ie like in the poll above the spelling for "their website" is correct "there website is incorrect" it really annoys me, and I actually have a number of friends who agree.

Spelling the name correctly of your chosen breed is really, really important.

As is spelling your dog's kennel name and their colour correctly.

I've lost count of the number of 'breeders' who can't spell harlequin :heart: