huski

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huski - I see you with a GSD :)

What about a show line laekenois? Certainly not a commonly seen dog and lots of drive.

There was a time where I really wanted a GSD! But I see SO many in obedience (and very rarely in agility) who just seem to plod around the ring. They have no speed, and it seems, not much drive. I have only ever seen one WL GSD in the obedience ring though and she was quite lovely. A bit bigger (same with laekenois) than what I am after for the moment though. I do love the look of the sable WL GSDs :cry:

My GSD doesnt know the word plod or walk for that matter (probabaly why we did so badly at obedience :cry:) . She doesnt stop, If she is moving she is running or trotting. Sometimes it drives me a bit mad :shrug:

She does have some decent prey drive as well. BUT she is pretty big, bigger than the standard.

Thanks FHRP. I will definitely have to meet a lot in person before making any decisions. I don't mind people orientated, I just don't want a dog that wants to be all over me all the time - I want a dog that can cope with being on its own and enjoy its own company if it must. I know hounds are typically pack orientated, both Daisy and Micha like to be around us but like their own space too. It would be nice to have a dog that really valued having a pat, Mish does to a certain extent, but he'll happily put himself outside and spend the day on his own when he wants to.

ETA: The thought of a velcro dog makes me feel a bit claustrophobic :( though at the end of the day, it's probably just what I am used to as well. Part of me does like the idea of a more people-focused dog but it's hard to know what you would be happy living with when you are used to independent spitz/hound breeds!

I remember when we bought Daisy home at eight weeks, it wasn't until she was at least 18 months old that she actually wanted to be pat or cuddled. Up until then, she refused to be picked up and never wanted to be pat, she had no interest in having pats at all. I can actually distinctly remember the first night she ever curled up on one of our laps. We just about died from shock, we even had to take a picture because it was so unusual :hug: On the totally opposite end of the scale I've met dogs who you just need to look at out of the corner of your eye and they just about explode at the thought you might pat them. That seems a bit annoying to me :(

Oh Mica was like that as well. She really didnt want to be patted or cuddled. I had to steal cuddles while she was asleep :) I found it a little upsetting at the time as I had never encountered a puppy that didnt want to be patted or loved. She will now tolerate a cuddle and even enjoy a pat, but she still isnt very snuggly. She does like to be a around you all the time though, and would follow me to her death.

Maybe a WL GSD might suit you? Though they may be a bit to big. My girl weighs 32kg

On the totally opposite end of the scale I've met dogs who you just need to look at out of the corner of your eye and they just about explode at the thought you might pat them. That seems a bit annoying to me :)

Although I'm sure you'd regard my dogs as clingy, this does annoy me also, and I do know the type of dog you mean. My needy gundogs are not like this but a few Goldies I know spring to mind acutally :)

Glad to know I am sort of making sense :(

My grandma has two small fluffies and they are both super clingy, I am sure a lot of it is how you raise them, but I find I can only spend so much time around them before my head explodes :( They constantly want to be on top of you, next to you, near you, as close to you as possible ALL THE TIME. It is probably worsened by the fact they are poorly behaved and annoying in general :shrug:

I've had lap dogs, my gundogs are nothiing like this at all. Yes they do love to be with you, but they are not like yoou describe. It's also upbringing I'm sure as my mum has an aussie terrier, not known for being a clingy breed, she is completely neurotic if mum even moves. :) drives me nuts too...

GHTs are very, well, 'hunty' :hug:

Patterdales are wonderful, grew up with these. From what I've seen in aust, the lines are a little odd? Not really like what we had in UK, so they don't interest me.

Go to a few shows Huski (yep, same old advice ;) ) I only say this because it seems there are several breeds you haven't 'met'. Wire vizs and PWDs etc.

sometimes this can help immensely even if you just cross them off.

There are several ESS doing agility atc in darwin. I dont think they are working ones, lovely though.

I'll never go past a viz, the perfect package, but they are not for everyone. :cry::cry:

we have heaps of lappies and aussies here, both nice, but not for me at all.

Some VERY high drive Tollers too.. cute, but babysitting them is enough for me :(

Hope you can find what you want soon!!

Bearded collie? super duper FAST, clever, not common, right size, but will need a brush. :)

I was thinking bearded collie - although the hair may be to much - I know 2 here that do agility - super fast, super drivey and just great performance dogs (and you don't see too many of them), and they're not too big either!!!!

Did you end up ruling Lappies out?

Ooh what about a Pyr Shep!!!!!!!!!

if you can't handle a WL mal I would rule out a Pyr Shep - these dogs are INSANE! And also are quite neurotic from what i've heard!

TN - on the website of the lady who has imported - do we have any pics of them at all??

They will be so popular that soon enough they'll be "common" like Labs, Goldies and Kelpies :(:shrug:

I know huski definitely doesn't want a Lab, but even though they are a common "pet" breed, I do have to say that there really aren't that many Labs competing compared to other breeds!

:( I don't mean common in a bad way, they are all great breeds just not dogs I look at and go "I want one!"

We have stacks of labs at our obedience club, though I agree they aren't as common as BCs etc.

:hug: Been lurking this thread a bit :(

Huski might a Hamiltonstovare suit you?

I know they're not common here and kinda beagly :cry:

I know the lady who breeds Hammies, but I'm not sure she is still breeding them.

My GSD doesnt know the word plod or walk for that matter (probabaly why we did so badly at obedience :)) . She doesnt stop, If she is moving she is running or trotting. Sometimes it drives me a bit mad :cry:

She does have some decent prey drive as well. BUT she is pretty big, bigger than the standard.

Oh don't get me wrong, I have seen some great WL GSDs in the ring and know a lady who does really well with hers so I know they can be drivey and fast, but I have just seen so many GSDs in the ring now that just look so slow it has put me off a bit. Even my beagle works with more attitude and drive. I would definitely consider a WL, but probably bigger than what I am after for the moment.

Hope you can find what you want soon!!

Bearded collie? super duper FAST, clever, not common, right size, but will need a brush. :)

Noooooo I just know I well get my heart set on a breed and then I'll want it sooner rather than later which is just not going to happen right now :)

But I also enjoy thinking about these things and want to give myself time make sure I am making the right decision if I go with a breed I've never owned before. I've never bought a dog FOR dog sports, Daisy was bought as a pet, we didn't even start training probably till she was two so I know the next dog will be different from the beginning.

I will have to look into Beardies, a bit more coat than I normally like, but I do find them appealing. I like ACDs too just not sure if they are really for me. Will have to meet some more I think :)

Yeah, Lappies are becoming a popular 'pet' breed, but not so much as a performance dog... Which to be honest, I can 100% understand. They are a bit hit & miss with drive levels, etc and really, if you're looking for a performance dog, you don't want to have that much uncertainty about whether they will have enough drive. I have met some Lappies that act like they are stoned... Not a good starting point for an agility dog :rofl: In saying that, there are lines that are more likely to produce a nutter, so they are out there.

I was very lucky with Ahsoka!

I was thinking bearded collie - although the hair may be to much - I know 2 here that do agility - super fast, super drivey and just great performance dogs (and you don't see too many of them), and they're not too big either!!!!

I LOVE beardies!!!!!! :rofl:

Ooh what about a Pyr Shep!!!!!!!!!

if you can't handle a WL mal I would rule out a Pyr Shep - these dogs are INSANE! And also are quite neurotic from what i've heard!

TN - on the website of the lady who has imported - do we have any pics of them at all??

No pictures on their website, but these are some from the breeder's website -

Hobnobs Vitamine

Click on the links -

http://www.hobnobs.se/Vita.jpg

The one on the left

http://www.hobnobs.se/V-Kull.jpg

http://www.hobnobs.se/hej.jpg

http://www.hobnobs.se/Big%20kisses.jpg

I will have to look into Beardies, a bit more coat than I normally like, but I do find them appealing. I like ACDs too just not sure if they are really for me. Will have to meet some more I think :rofl:

A Beardies coats are a lot more work than a border collies. They are lovely dogs and I love the ones I know but I couldn't cope with the grooming required. Other than that I have no breed recommendations as I would always have a BC.

German Pinscher?

I quite like these but they look more challenging than the people focussed breeds I have :rofl:

Probably a little smaller than what I want and not really my thing look wise :rofl:

I don't mind people-focused dogs, super clingy ones that want to be with you constantly every waking minute of the day tend to grate on my nerves though.

No not entirely, I am just not sure if they are quite what I want. I know some with decent drive like Soaks but then all the other ones I've met have been quite mellow and low drive and I'm a bit worried about ending up with a coach-potato lappie :rofl:

I have three lappies (soon to be four) and all have different ranges in terms of drive. However, I can tell you that any of them will take whatever action is going. Even Bear - the most laid back boy I know - is happy to do his runs with me. What you have probably seen is the 'off switch' they have when they are not zooming/running etc. Which is a good thing, a dog thats on the go all the time would drive me nuts!

Bear, btw was great in obedience - regularly topping his class because all he wanted to do was please you. With Tasha you needed to work harder, because if she found the activity boring (and obedience training at that club was at times - which is why we ended up doing more shows instead) she couldn't see the point of it - so you needed to work pretty hard too! LOL

Sohvi is in between - she does have good drive and is very much reward orientated. Yet to do any formal obedience with her but I know she'll take to it well. We're yet to see what our new girl is like, but at the moment she's a little firecracker! LOL

Edited by lappiemum

I will have to look into Beardies, a bit more coat than I normally like, but I do find them appealing. I like ACDs too just not sure if they are really for me. Will have to meet some more I think :rofl:

A Beardies coats are a lot more work than a border collies. They are lovely dogs and I love the ones I know but I couldn't cope with the grooming required. Other than that I have no breed recommendations as I would always have a BC.

What is the grooming like just out of curiosity? I can't imagine it would be more than my Keeshonds (line grooming, 1 hour a week)

I LOVE beardies!!!!!! :rofl:

Me too!!! Especially after seeing the two competing here - I just love them!!! If I wasn't so set on getting another aussie next, i'd definitely look into getting a beardie... Maybe... who knows :rofl:

The Lappies i knew all worked beautifully. Their handler was good though. They have been on my wish list since I met them.

Out of curiosity, who were the Lappies you've seen working and what sport was it? Lappies are a small world - I wonder if I know of them!

I have three lappies (soon to be four) and all have different ranges in terms of drive. However, I can tell you that any of them will take whatever action is going. Even Bear - the most laid back boy I know - is happy to do his runs with me. What you have probably seen is the 'off switch' they have when they are not zooming/running etc. Which is a good thing, a dog thats on the go all the time would drive me nuts!

LM, I know what you mean but the lappies I've met were definitely not drivey dogs, they were up for a walk and a run around the yard but it was definitely a lack of drive rather than an off switch. Which is great for most people, if I was after a pet they would be perfect. Then there are lappies like Soaks which I would be quite happy with for a dog sports dog, but with such variance in a breed it's just too much of a gamble for me and I would rather just get another beagle. I think if I'm going to go with a new breed, I want something that is definitely going to be exactly what I'm after in terms of having a dog for dog sports.

I have always wanted a lappie though so who knows what will happen in the future!

Brittany certainly ticks all the boxes you mentioned.

They do love people but mine spend a lot of time just in the company of other dogs while I am not here and they are not bothered by that.

They are also not as energetic as a working dog but stay away from the strictly field lines.

I looked very closely at English Springers before I decided a Brittany was better, more intelligence, less coat. I also looked at working lines, be very careful because there are some very timid ones in the working lines, I only met one that wasn't timid, it came from SA

If you want a sporting dog I wouldnt get another beagle unless you want to take up hunting or tracking. Their dogs made to glue their noses to the ground and your life is easier if you just use the drives your dog has instead of getting a breed then trying to funnel its genetics into the second best thing it could probably do.

I'm not actually sure what you're after though. The more common breeds are there because their breeding and drives are so well suited to the job. Most sporting dogs will be very attached to their owners as well, thats what they're bred for and when you train in drive mking yourself the ultimate in that dogs world they want to be with you A LOT. If you simply want a pup from certain breed because they're novel and rare, I suggest go visit breeders and have a session with their adult dogs. See the parents of your potential pup and see what their drives and behaviours are like, its the only way I would purchase a dog I wanted for a specific purpose.

If you want a sporting dog I wouldnt get another beagle unless you want to take up hunting or tracking. Their dogs made to glue their noses to the ground and your life is easier if you just use the drives your dog has instead of getting a breed then trying to funnel its genetics into the second best thing it could probably do.

I don't see what is wrong with competing with a beagle, sure it's a challenge but it's not that hard once you find the right methods. My beagle does alright and loves to work. I couldn't train her in drive if the drive wasn't there in the first place.

I'm not actually sure what you're after though. The more common breeds are there because their breeding and drives are so well suited to the job. Most sporting dogs will be very attached to their owners as well, thats what they're bred for and when you train in drive mking yourself the ultimate in that dogs world they want to be with you A LOT. If you simply want a pup from certain breed because they're novel and rare, I suggest go visit breeders and have a session with their adult dogs. See the parents of your potential pup and see what their drives and behaviours are like, its the only way I would purchase a dog I wanted for a specific purpose.

BCs, labs, goldies etc just don't appeal to me. It's not that their common, it's just that they don't interest me enough to want to own one. There are HEAPS of other less common breeds out there that do well in dog sports.

It's not that I don't want a people orientated dog, I just don't want a clingy dog. I'm sure that's mostly how you raise them but I don't want a velcro dog.

I'm hardly after a dog just because it's novel and rare :rofl: I want something that suits what I am after but still appeals to me. I don't find breeds like BCs, labs, goldies etc appealing. Surely not every breed appeals to you or is the kind of breed you'd want to own??

LM, I know what you mean but the lappies I've met were definitely not drivey dogs, they were up for a walk and a run around the yard but it was definitely a lack of drive rather than an off switch. Which is great for most people, if I was after a pet they would be perfect. Then there are lappies like Soaks which I would be quite happy with for a dog sports dog, but with such variance in a breed it's just too much of a gamble for me and I would rather just get another beagle. I think if I'm going to go with a new breed, I want something that is definitely going to be exactly what I'm after in terms of having a dog for dog sports.

I have always wanted a lappie though so who knows what will happen in the future!

This is my thought exactly - I can count on one hand the number of lappies I've met that I would consider potential high level performance dogs. I have only met a couple tried and true perfomance dogs (Soakie and Armahani's dogs) and a dog like soakie is a lot different at home to what the other lappies I've met are (and what i hear of those I haven't met in this country). They seem to chill out, she always seems to be busy. Even if she's sleeping, she's busy doing it if that makes sense. There's a reason we call her "Extreme Soakie".

This thread has given me a lot to think about - thanks Bec!!! :rofl:

Edited by ~*Shell*~

:rofl: extreme Soakie gave energizer battery Kenz bear a good workout when we stayed there. Although Mitch the other lappie also gave them both a run for their money. All three of them were on the go almost constantly all day. Edited by ness