What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie is known as Chucky... this came about when he was doing his Canine Good Citizen and there was 2 other Charlie. It got confusing, so I started to call him Chucky or Chuck.

Emmy gets call Em or Ditz.

A friend called her Westie Chuck, her name was Di. Get it. ;) :eek: :D :D :D

:o:(

A friend called her Westie Chuck, her name was Di. Get it. :(:o:( :D :)

We had friends who had a Boxer called Chuck & a Siamese cat called Ling.

:rofl: classic!

The only thing wrong with giving dogs (and any other animals for that matter) human names, is that one day your "never having kids" stance might change.....and you might find you've used all your favourite names on the pets, and your precious first born daughter might end up with the same name as the family rabbit :rofl: ;) :o:(

(Mummy is very sorry Charlotte!!!)

My sister named her daughter after a poodle we had in our teens!

Bonz

We had an issue with a human/dog name dilemma about 15 years ago, and its put me off human names for pets since then. When I was a kid I had a dog I had named Kerry who was very much adored by the family. Within about 6 months of getting her, I had one brother engaged to a girl called Kerry and another one dating a girl called Kerry. It got confusing, and the girls werent exactly popular within the family, generally not nice people. Not a family BBQ went by without someone yelling "Kerry, come here"....pause for effect...."oh, no, I meant the bitch. Oh wait, thats all of you"....pause for effect...."OK, just the one who eats pal then"....

Amazingly, only one of the 3 Kerry's stayed with the family beyond a few months, and she had more than 2 legs..... :o:)

I think I'm pretty safe now with a dog called Doofus :o

The only thing wrong with giving dogs (and any other animals for that matter) human names, is that one day your "never having kids" stance might change.....and you might find you've used all your favourite names on the pets, and your precious first born daughter might end up with the same name as the family rabbit :cry::cry::cry::cry:

(Mummy is very sorry Charlotte!!!)

Yep :cry: Used the all time favourite name as the stable name for the hack .... coz I wasn't having any kids! You know what happened then.

Most of my dogs have human type names, maybe not ones I'd call the kids - Gladys and Edith etc - and some that maybe I would.

Edited by Jed

Most of my dogs have had human names, Roy, Jody, Ben, Bobby, etc. I have an Abby and a Mick now - then a human Mick moved in over the back lane, fortunately he's pretty deaf so I can call my Mick without having a visitor thinking I was offering coffee :cry:

I am obviously a fan of human names for pets and see nothing wrong with it! Jane and Gus now and in the past Bridget and Meg (my all time favourite name). Our two rats (now sadly departed) were called Ruby-Rose and Calliope. Poor Jane even gets a few more human names added when she is in big trouble... She gets Jane Mary Margaret...saying those names stops me from actually strangling her when she does the steal and bolt thing!

I've always liked the name John but when Gus came along, I couldn't cope with the 'Jane and John" combo!

Edited by tez

I like human names. The first thing I did when I knew we were getting Harvey was to take out all of the baby name books from the library.

I don't know what the librarian thought! :)

Unfortunately our family and friends have been inconsiderate enough to have used most of the good ones already. :)

I like human names. The first thing I did when I knew we were getting Harvey was to take out all of the baby name books from the library.

I don't know what the librarian thought! :)

Unfortunately our family and friends have been inconsiderate enough to have used most of the good ones already. :)

Oh, I bought a lot of baby name books home... my mum got all excited when she saw them. I had to break it down to her gently that she wasn't getting a grandchild from me any day soon...

I've always liked the name John but when Gus came along, I couldn't cope with the 'Jane and John" combo!

A friend of mine in Japan has had a couple of yorkies in succession. Each one has been named Johnny because he thinks that's what westerners call their dogs :) Lovely guy and he adores his dogs but I keep saying - c'mon man, my husband's name is Johnny and he doesnt look anything like a yorkie!

beats the old Spot, Fido, Rover, Blackie, Prince, Princess, Kitty, etc (and yes I was guilty of having had dogs and cats in the past with those names), but then graduated to human names of late (like Hamish, Sheldon, Leila, Linny)

I don't know if this has happened for other people... but when you have pets with human names, you get them all mixed up with the children's names (& with each others).

We used to have 6 pets, all with human names.

Calling out names, on the run (like everyday!), I'd often have to go thro' the long list of all family names. Until the 'called' one's face would light up. Meant I'd got the right one.

My sister just called her fourth child after my dog, Jake, well she says its Jacob but we all know he is going to be Jake when he is older. :wave: I think of it as a compliment.

Jake has a lot of other names too, Roger (due to his mounting propensity when younger), Derek, etc depending on what he is up to. He comes to all of them :eek:

I met a mastiff once called Keith suited him to a tee.

And little short legged short haired crossbreed called Ian. :D

We called our first ever pet, a cat, Jason, so I guess human names are a theme.

I have a few trees in my garden named after friends and loved ones who have passed - that probably makes me weird.

We inherited a baby Chihuahua from my FIL many years ago. The pups name was Woof Woof. :wave: So when we bought a female chi my sense of humour dictated that she was called Bow Wow. :eek:

Very funny in the vets office with the two of them being called in. Woof Woof and Bow Wow please. Always got some funny looks.:D