Big Dog Syndrome

jacqui835

I have a dog with Big Dog Syndrome, ie, he seems to think he's much smaller than what he is. He is a doberman who thinks he can fit under tables, into tiny gaps and most troublesomely, onto my lap. If I'm on the couch by myself, and invite him up, instead of taking the unoccupied side, he seems to go for the tiny gap between me and the edge of the couch that I'm closest to. Of course, he can't fit, and so he ends up trying to balance his huge backside on my lap, which I might add is bony and so really painful. Once he's on your lap, he leans back into you which means your face is smothered and you can't really breathe. The worst part about big dog syndrome is that the people around always think it's funny, so although my OH might be in the room and probably able to help, he typically can't stop laughing.

This is the pooch, looking innocent as usual, but don't be deceived...

DSC_4857.JPG

I have a dog with Big Dog Syndrome, ie, he seems to think he's much smaller than what he is. He is a doberman who thinks he can fit under tables, into tiny gaps and most troublesomely, onto my lap. If I'm on the couch by myself, and invite him up, instead of taking the unoccupied side, he seems to go for the tiny gap between me and the edge of the couch that I'm closest to. Of course, he can't fit, and so he ends up trying to balance his huge backside on my lap, which I might add is bony and so really painful. Once he's on your lap, he leans back into you which means your face is smothered and you can't really breathe. The worst part about big dog syndrome is that the people around always think it's funny, so although my OH might be in the room and probably able to help, he typically can't stop laughing.

This is the pooch, looking innocent as usual, but don't be deceived...

DSC_4857.JPG

aww - how could you not want to cuddle that?? :thumbsup:

Danes and greyhounds also suffer from this ailment. They think that they should be lap dogs, be allowed to stand up in the sedan (scrunched up doggies are NOT good if you're trying to drive), and that they can fit next to you in the smallest of spaces.

Any idea of a cure?

post-1382-1299120092_thumb.jpg

They even share a bed, when they have one each!

Yeah I have a big fluffy butt goldie who when invited onto any bed/chair must be ON you. And also needs to wiggle and roll on top of you. No personal space for her, lots of bruises for us. :thumbsup:

Its why she usually gets booted off again pretty quick smart!

Yep I have a dog with fully developed big dog syndrome my 3 yo Bullmastiff X still thinks its ok to sit in Mummy's lap

And I have a developing big dog syndrome in my 6 month old Amstaff X who currently weighs 17 kilos! She is often referred to as my lap dog by my family LOL. She thinks she can still lay in the crook of my arm against my chest when in truth its actually painful yet its so cute I cant bring myself to remove her.

I think your OH should be taking a photo of this rather than :( so that we can have a giggle too :)

He actually has some on his camera, I will try and get one tonight.

Unfortunately we've had no luck finding a cure, and the tricky part is they have this way of looking at you before they get on your lap, which makes them irresistable and you somehow forget just how uncomfortable it is to have them there. Next thing you know you've invited the huge animal (which looked much smaller when he was curled up on the floor looking cute and in need of hugs) onto your lap and it's all over...

To the dog in the small bed, my dog also had a thing for the cat's bed - no-one or thing is spared the effects of this syndrome...

My mother has a dog that seems to have missed the fact that at some point she grew to be several times the size she was as a puppy. She still squeezes into places she found quite comfortable as a puppy. What is remarkable is that she can do it. She shoots under the stairs sometimes, and seriously, when you look at the gap she went through it is hard to believe she could get herself through it. She just has to twist sideway and slide in now. She also still tries to walk under your legs when you are sitting down. She doesn't fit, but she pushes in anyway. Peoples' legs can move off the ground to give her extra space.

OH's old 40kg Boxer thought he was a lap dog. It was hard to breath when he was sitting on your lap.

My mother has a dog that seems to have missed the fact that at some point she grew to be several times the size she was as a puppy. She still squeezes into places she found quite comfortable as a puppy. What is remarkable is that she can do it. She shoots under the stairs sometimes, and seriously, when you look at the gap she went through it is hard to believe she could get herself through it. She just has to twist sideway and slide in now. She also still tries to walk under your legs when you are sitting down. She doesn't fit, but she pushes in anyway. Peoples' legs can move off the ground to give her extra space.

Akira STILL manages to squeeze into the gap between the couch and the wall. I don't get it how she manages it.