My Long List Of Wanted Breeds

ellazpupz

i love contrast too.

I love my borzoi, he suits us for many reasons but in other ways he doesn't meet some of our needs. For example, we'd like to get a more trainable breed next time, slightly more dependant. quite the opposite really, just meets a different need.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more time you spend with dogs the shorter the list should get. Some of those lists are incredible because the breeds are all so different to live with. You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

Over the years I have looked carefully at a few different breeds, then discarded each one as a possibility and still have my original three breeds on my list. There may still be a Poodle one day, but I am not fussed on having to worry about clipping and scissoring. Love the breed, just not the grooming. So my next dog will either be yet another Border Collie or eventually a Japanese Spitz which has been my smaller, easier breed of choice for many years.

There are many other breeds that I love to admire but have absolutely no desire to own one.

I have Border Collies as of course you know but I also have the Wicked Whippet. Two TOTALLY different breeds and BOTH mesh well with us. I couldn't imagine living without either breed.

Why on earth would that be hard to believe? I adore my hairy dogs but I also adore the sleek lines of my Whippet. I love both breeds equally.

Better add breeds I covet:

Pomeranians (thanks to a very generous person I co-own two of these little gems)

English Pointer

Afghan

Standard Poodle

West Highland White Terrier

Akita

American Cocker

How's that for variation LOL

Edited by benshiva

British bulldog

And may be convinced of a daschund too

Good choices. :D

Only two dogs I have ever wanted to own Bullmastiff and a British. I never thought I would be without a Bullmastiff, but opportunity presented itself to take the step into a British for the first time. I have to say I am very much enjoying the entertainment of a British Bulldog. They are comedy on legs. I thought BMs could be arrogant with painted on ears! A British makes them look very humble. For awhile there I thought SImon might be deaf. :laugh: I will own a BM again, hopefully in a year or so, unless the British totally steals my heart.

I would not choose to own a Dachie myself, but my sister owns one and he is a little bit cool and changed my opinion on the breed. But if you ever need convincing just ask.... :laugh:

I do love alot of dog breeds that I will stand and admire (to many to list), just not wanting to actually own them with not being suitable for me.

Despite promising myself I'd stick with just a couple of greys, my list is already looking like this..

(In order of what I'd be looking at getting first)

Moar greys.

Belgian Shepherd (Tervueren)

Pembroke corgi

Pointer

Irish wolfhound

Borzoi

You can have my feral 3yr old if you want. She has been running around like a mad thing all day long and the boys keep joining in in bursts too. Not good when you are trying to study :laugh:

If I include breeds I love but won't own, the list would never end but restricting it to breeds that I may own at some point:

Another Swedish Vallhund

Cardigan Corgi

Standard Poodle

Leonberger

Rottweiler

Tibetan Spaniel

Shih Tzu

Greyhound

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

And probably a few pound mixes along the way

I just can't seem to tear myself away from Pembrokes though :laugh: When the opportunity for another addition to the family comes along there's part of me wanting a new breed but then another part that says "You could be passing on the opportunity to own another fabulous pembroke". Stick with the tried and tested or go for something different?! Decisions, decisions. Next dog is going to be another pembroke :rofl:

ETA: I have recently been researching the Pekingese and they seem to be clowns covered in fluff. I am yet to meet one in person but they could be on the list too.

Edited by Mim

Well I have a Stafford and the Whippets and will always have at least one...or two......or three!! One Whippet is never enough!

On top of that

French Bulldog

Border Collie

GSP

Poodle (Min) not a show dog, purely for dog sports :)

Rottweiler (again)

British bulldog

And may be convinced of a daschund too

Good choices. :D

Only two dogs I have ever wanted to own Bullmastiff and a British. I never thought I would be without a Bullmastiff, but opportunity presented itself to take the step into a British for the first time. I have to say I am very much enjoying the entertainment of a British Bulldog. They are comedy on legs. I thought BMs could be arrogant with painted on ears! A British makes them look very humble. For awhile there I thought SImon might be deaf. :laugh: I will own a BM again, hopefully in a year or so, unless the British totally steals my heart.

I would not choose to own a Dachie myself, but my sister owns one and he is a little bit cool and changed my opinion on the breed. But if you ever need convincing just ask.... :laugh:

I do love alot of dog breeds that I will stand and admire (to many to list), just not wanting to actually own them with not being suitable for me.

Rocco, it was your website that recindeled my love of bulldogs, those pics of your baby climbing a couch are fantastic! Bullies are so so expensive, I can't get past the price. Well I suppose I'll have to get over it If I want one :)

Ahh... the ongoing search for a breed. I think I'm getting steadily closer to what I really, really want.

Poodles (Mini or Toy)

Whippet

Papillon

Over the years I have toyed with idea of many breeds. I have come to realise that I want a people-focused, affectionate dog that would like to join me in a fairly active lifestyle with cuddles on the couch/bed at the end of the day.

At one stage I thought I wanted a more independent type, but I think I have been deluding myself. I've got enough independent to last me a while sitting under my feet as we speak(hang on - is that an oxymoron??) Miss Abby, I love you dearly, but sometimes you need to live with the dog that isn't quite your 'ideal' to understand what you are really looking for. Well, actually maybe that's not really true - some people are actually a bit smart about the whole thing and try and find out what they want before getting a dog. I highly recommend this avenue to those looking for a dog!

Having said that, she ticks a lot of the boxes... active, training challenge, cleverer than owner and quite fun to be around really. :laugh:

Mostly sighthounds... :D

Chortaj

Azawahk

the right Afghan

the right Silken Windhound (or Windsprite if you're in Czech Rep!)

And just 'cause I adore some of those short legs:

Cardigan Corgi

Pekingese

Nice to see Borzoi getting a few mentions... :thumbsup: "I love you too!"

Happy.jpg

Mostly sighthounds... :D

Chortaj

Azawahk

the right Afghan

the right Silken Windhound (or Windsprite if you're in Czech Rep!)

And just 'cause I adore some of those short legs:

Cardigan Corgi

Pekingese

Nice to see Borzoi getting a few mentions... :thumbsup: "I love you too!"

Happy.jpg

I was one of those people i just think they are stunning although ive never met one :(

I'm another one with a long list of 'wants'!

Brittany's are on the top of my list

Standard Poodle

Hungarian Vizsla

Dobermann

Pointer

Mini Schnauzer

Border Terrier

Aussie Terrier

Boxer

Westie

Curly Coated Retriever

Smooth Collie

Greyhound

I like them all for different reasons - I've had the chance to spend time with them all and would love to have the chance to own them one day. I will always have a GSP, and I'd also like to have another Mini Daccy and an Irish Setter one day, they both played a big part in my childhood.

Edited by Zenith

Had GSD's for years now have the greys. Can't see that changing at all. I like lots of other dogs and sometimes flirt with the idea of getting a different breed but the only one I really drool over is the Borzoi. Not likely to ever get one cause they need grooming, I'm not into grooming at all, but I can admire.

I was one of those people i just think they are stunning although ive never met one :(

Are you in Brisbane?

11th June at Durack Showgrounds in Brisbane, the Borzoi Club of QLD specialty shows. Come meet the hairy mob - we'd love to introduce you to them all. :D Boris (pictured above) will be handing out free hugs...

Are you in Brisbane?

11th June at Durack Showgrounds in Brisbane, the Borzoi Club of QLD specialty shows. Come meet the hairy mob - we'd love to introduce you to them all. :D Boris (pictured above) will be handing out free hugs...

Yes i am and im going to try and make it :D i love getting puppy cuddles :D

I go threw fads of research, often ending with a 'no way I could own one of those'

If I had to pick a breed available in this country only it would be a Finnish Lapphund

I luffs them. :love:

Close second is an Australian Shepherd.

If I could have any dog in the whole wide world and one day it will happen that dog would be an Icelandic Sheepdog.

:love:

I go threw fads of research, often ending with a 'no way I could own one of those'

If I had to pick a breed available in this country only it would be a Finnish Lapphund

I luffs them. :love:

Close second is an Australian Shepherd.

If I could have any dog in the whole wide world and one day it will happen that dog would be an Icelandic Sheepdog.

:love:

OOOOOOO id love to see an icelandic sheepdog :) pretty dogs

I can't believe how popular the Lappies seem to be. Although I will admit they are gorgeous dogs!! :love:

My list stops at one breed and one breed only; the Aussie Terrier. I've had no desire to own any other breed and I feel blessed to be part of the small Aussie Tee ownership. I wish more people were aware of this gorgeous breed and took the time to own one because seriously, you never look back. Don't get me wrong though, I love all dog breeds and will be the first to swoon over whatever turns up at the local dog parks but I'll always be a proud Aussie owner and the only thing beating an Aussie Tee ... 2 or 3 or 4 Aussie Tees!! :p :laugh:

My first dog, when I was very young, was an English Cocker Spaniel who I adored. My next dog was a Kelpie cross who was just gorgeous. Lovely temperament, faithful and very smart. About 3 years after she passed away I decided it was time to get another dog and a friend had litter of Bearded Collies, who became my next dog and introduced me to the world of dog showing. I then got another Beardie quickly followed by a Smooth Collie. Unfortunately the 2 breeds didn't get on very well together so the Smooth Collie found a new home (where he is loved and adored) and the 2nd Beardie also found a new home (where he is also loved and adored). One day I saw a Havanese and was totally enraptured by this little dog. I did some research, watched the breed for about 12 months and finally decided that was the breed for me. I now have several Havanese and couldn't see myself ever being without one.

At the time I got my Beardie, my flatmate rescued a Schipperke (whose mother had passed away) and they became the 3rd breed within our family (I still have my original Beardie). My flatmate decided she wanted to show too and promptly got herself another Schipperke. I was aloso given a Schipp to show by a friend and whilst I do like the breed, Havanese will always be the breed for me. The only other breeds of dog that interest me are American Cockers (I just love all that coat they have) and Pomeranians. One day perhaps....