Pure Chi...right?

Stutterfly

I know I know...buy from a breeder to be sure.... but look at her :eek: I was looking for a kitten for my husband and saw her by chance and completely fell in love with this little girl. My name is on a few Chi breeder waiting lists. I've wanted one for years. She is out of two pure Chihuahuas, not a puppy farm or pet store though. I will definitely be desexing and fully vaccinating her.

kingaroychi.pngLonghair, female, 9weeks old in this pic.

Thoughts?

Edited by Stutterfly

Don't do it!

Buy from an ethical breeder who does all relevant health checks in the parents and gives back up.

You could be buying a whole heap of heartache.

She doesn't look particularly pure Chi to me, but I don't really know Chihuahua's very well so may be wrong.

She come with ANKC papers?

No?

Then not pure chi.

I'm not a chi expert either but she looks a little stocky to me.

If you're "in love" and you can afford huge unexpected vet and behaviourist bills, then why not? It's not encouraging anyone to do the wrong thing by ethical dog breeding standards?

is she microchipped? Apparently that is mandatory before sale by QLD laws.

Pay by credit card, and get a receipt...

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

She come with ANKC papers?

No?

Then not pure chi.

how can this be? if the dad is 100% chihuahua, and the mum is 100% chihuahua then the answer is the puppy is a pure chihuahua whether it has AKNC papers or not.

to me, and i'm not an expert by any means but I do have a friend who breeds chis, she does look chihuahua but probably backyard bred.

You would probably be better waiting to get a chi from registered chi breeders, even if you are on a waiting list, waiting for a few months for a dog which can live for many many years is really nothing in the whole scheme of thins. But if your heart has fallen for this girl and it sounds like you are doing the right thing by desexing and vacinating her give her a home. Just be prepared that she may come wtih some health problems.

Even registered chis can have great variation in type. However as your girl doesn't have papers you can never be 100 percent sure. She is very cute and I can see how you fell in love with her, but she doesn't look to be a particularly 'typey' chihuahua. But as I said, chis that look like her can also come from two registered parents.

How big/old is she? That can sometimes give some clues :)

Edited by honeychild

how can this be? if the dad is 100% chihuahua, and the mum is 100% chihuahua then the answer is the puppy is a pure chihuahua whether it has AKNC papers or not.

at the moment, kennel club papers are all we've got as far as proving a breed goes.

So if dad and mum both have papers, an ANKC registered breeder is required to register all puppies from the litter.

If mum and dad don't have papers either, they're not pure chi either.

at the moment, kennel club papers are all we've got as far as proving a breed goes.

So if dad and mum both have papers, an ANKC registered breeder is required to register all puppies from the litter.

If mum and dad don't have papers either, they're not pure chi either.

I'll now have to tell my coolie that she is not pure coolie because she doesn't have AKNC papers. This is despite the fact that I personally know most of the dogs from both her mother and father side for many generations all who are coolies.

Yes, you may have more proof that a dog is a pure bred with papers but I honestly don't think that you can say that a chi is not pure because it doesn't have AKNC papers nor does it's parents.

I forgot to add Stutterby that my friend has bred and showed a black and tan chi similar colouring to your little pup, he is very cute!

I'll now have to tell my coolie that she is not pure coolie because she doesn't have AKNC papers. This is despite the fact that I personally know most of the dogs from both her mother and father side for many generations all who are coolies.

Coolies as a breed are not yet recognised by the ANKC. Breeders can't even agree on how to spell the name of their breed.

But if they do want to get recognised the breeders need to keep records of their breeding.

As things stand, coolies can be outcrossed with anything a breeder likes to try for more of one trait or another - usually herding ability. And this leads to loads of dogs of different shape and size. And they're all coolies. So they're farm dog bitsas - just like my dog until there are some standards and written breed history not just anecdotal "I know all the generations"...

The best farmers I know keep written records of what they're breeding and how it turns out - so they can recognise improvements or setbacks in their product. Koolie breeders - only some of them are just starting to do this.

A purebred is a dog that has a pedigree to back up it's unmixed heritage.

No papers = no pedigree = not pure.

If the dog isn't pure because there are no papers, please tell me what cross breed that then makes it?

If the dog isn't pure because there are no papers, please tell me what cross breed that then makes it?

It doesn't make it a cross breed. It makes it a dog of unknown breeding. No registration papers, no breeding records, nothing to indicate parentage.

Small brown dog of unknown breeding.

Shall I add to the confusion?

You are all correct.

According to dictionary.com a purebred (noun) is a purebred animal, especially one of registered pedigree.

BUT if you use purebred as an adjective then it means of or pertaining to an animal, all of whose ancestors derive over many generations from a recognized breed.

So if you say "purebred Chihuahua" then it doesn't have to be pedigreed to make that a correct statement.

However if you say "This Chihuahua is a purebred" then it does have to be pedigreed to make that statement accurate.

English is a funny language at times.

My own opinion is that the pedigree papers are only as good as the breeder behind them, the ANKC bodies trust in whatever paperwork the breeders send them.

DNA tests are really the only 100% proof of ancestry.

My thought is is that if this pups parent's haven't been health screened then you should wait for one from the breeders you have applied to...sorry, but just being cute is not the best reason to buy a pup coming from unscreened parents, pedigreed or otherwise.

She sure is cute... and as long as you are aware of what possible future issues you may have health or temperament wise, then it's your choice whether you want to keep her. They don't stay that cute forever...

T.

It doesn't make it a cross breed. It makes it a dog of unknown breeding. No registration papers, no breeding records, nothing to indicate parentage.

Small brown dog of unknown breeding.

Yep

we recently rescued an Italian Greyhound that was from a back yard breeder. Hard to rehome as she's 2 but will most likely require surgery on her bad knees at some point in the future, not right now though. Most potential homes were not interested in spending two thousand on that but we finally had 2 potential homes that were happy to do this, it took some months.

It is important to get any puppy health checked, some breeds can have heart issues and so on and those that byb will breed with any dogs, they simply don't care.

I recently met a lady who had rescued a 3 yr old fluffy but the dog had major neuro issues and ended up having a terrible fit from which it didn't recover and had to be pts. She'd only had the dog for 3 months. Before that she had to go through the devastation of euthanasing a 5 month old fluffy puppy that she'd bought from a byb. The puppy had severe spinal issues and the spine wasn't growing at the same rate as the rest of the body so the poor little thing was in terrible pain. The vet recommended euthing but the lady waited but then the puppy was eventually in agony the whole time so that was that. The byb was not interested in providing a refund for the $800 she'd paid, not even at first when the issue was diagnosed and she'd only had the puppy a couple of weeks. Bought "as seen" was the words the byb used.

Thoughts?

If you're asking for approval to buy a pup that doesn't come from an ANKC registered breeder and isn't from a rescue, you're asking on the wrong forum.

Given the legion of health issues Chis can suffer from I'd not touch her with a barge pole no matter how cute she is.

My guess is you're getting her anyway though and she is cute. Did you SEE both parents?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I wasn't 100% sure, and after doing the sums on everything I have to do for her anyway, like vaccinating and desexing (and that's assuming she has no underlying health issues, such as the knee thing Chihuahuas are known for) I'm be better off to go through a breeder, cost-wise. That's completely removing the cuteness factor from the equation.

Also I definitely don't want to fall in love with the little darling only for it to have to suffer through whatever health issues she may have, regardless of whether I can have them fixed them or not. I want a dog for life (well, their expected life-span I guess) and the happiest life he or she can have.

Again, thanks for all the advice :) I am definitely going to a proper breeder. On that note, any recommendations for Chi breeders in SE QLD? Or even Nth NSW.

Edited by Stutterfly

Good on you Stutterfly :thumbsup:

Don't forget that even some registered breeders can be a little dodgy. You can use goodle, as well as the chihuhua forum here on dogsonline to research the health problems Chis can get and research what tests can be done on the parents so that you have the best chance of having a healthy pup :) Make sure the breeder you buy your pup from is doing the tests that should be done for Chis.

Also I do personally always think its better to go to the breeders to pick the pup up so you can see the mum and see where pup was raised as well as being a great chance to ask the breeder any questions you may have.

A good breeder will support you for the life of the dog :)

She sure is cute... and as long as you are aware of what possible future issues you may have health or temperament wise, then it's your choice whether you want to keep her. They don't stay that cute forever...

T.

I have to agree with T on this one!

I didn't do my research enough and was very 'trusting' of a so called registered breeder whom turns it was not, she considered herself one because her two 'breeding' dogs were papered.

Moral to the story my 2 year 11 month old Cavalier was put to rest on Saturday due to a disease that could have happened to even the best of registered dogs however as his 'line' has no health history or testing we learnt a very hard lesson.

I will never buy a dog from anyone until I have put my prospective breeder through the same amount of questions they are going to put me through. We are much happier to pay the larger puppy purchase price knowing full well the parents are health tested and the lines history is known then to buy a cheaper puppy and have huge vet bills. I don't want sympathy but I simply now have an experience that I can try and help stop other people from having!

Cute puppy sure, but so is the one from the registered breeder who actually cares about the puppy you are purchasing off them, not just the money you are handing over!