Buying A Dog And Changing Mind

pinkpuppy

Over the weekend I went to a breeders house to have a look at one of their adult dogs for sale. Anyway we liked her very much and decided to put a deposit on her. I have been reading up about the breed and they have alot of health issues and im now kinda worried about buying an adult dog and have it die in a couple of years. The dog has tested carrier for some things although i havn't got any reports on other diseases lurking in the breed. Do you think its fair if I asked for my deposit back?....is the breeder obliged to give it back to me? ETA we have paid quite alot of money for her.

Edited by pinkpuppy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the weekend I went to a breeders house to have a look at one of their adult dogs for sale. Anyway we liked her very much and decided to put a deposit on her. I have been reading up about the breed and they have alot of health issues and im now kinda worried about buying an adult dog and have it die in a couple of years. The dog has tested carrier for some things although i havn't got any reports on other diseases lurking in the breed. Do you think its fair if I asked for my deposit back?....is the breeder obliged to give it back to me?

Generally a "carrier" for a disease like PRA will not be affected by it. For example a poodle tested as a carrier for PRA is not going to go blind from it.

Can you be a bit more specific about the breed and your health concerns for it?

If you've changed your mind and ring the breeder, you should be entitled to a deposit back. At least this breeder IS health testing.

Edited to clarify - is this a pet or a potential breeding dog?

Edited by poodlefan

Did the breeder not discuss the health issues in the breed with you?

There are some breeds with serious issues BUT there are a lot of individuals within that breed which never have problems so you need to know a bit more than "the breed has a lot of problems and dies young" because this is not true of many individuals within a breed.

Without having a clue what breed or disease you are talking about - as a general rule if the genetic condition this dog is a carrier of is caused by recessive genes, then the fact it is a carrier will mean nothing to it's health.

I would encourage you to call the breeder and discuss your concerns with them.

If it was one of my adults I would give you your deposit back to avoid my dog ending up somewhere it isn't really wanted, but I don't take deposits anyway!

I don't think that the breeder is obliged to give you the deposit back. They might have turned away another home that has now found a dog elsewhere.

well i think not giving back $1500 would be very unfair. and as people have said above, fine I could always take the dog then and re-sell on the trading post....

I don't think that the breeder is obliged to give you the deposit back. They might have turned away another home that has now found a dog elsewhere.

well i think not giving back $1500 would be very unfair. and as people have said above, fine I could always take the dog then and re-sell on the trading post....

:mad:mad:mad:mad

IMO handing over $1500 without doing research on the breed first or at least asking the questions of the breeder who's dog it is is an issue.

Rather than bring it up on a forum, give the breeder a call and have a chat.

ETA $1500 is a very large desposit! :eek:

Edited by SparkyTansy

If you can even think/joke about selling a dog on the trading post then maybe you should rethink getting a dog. I'm sure if you told the breeder this then he/she would be crazy to sell you the dog and probably give you your money back.

I hope you were saying this tongue in cheek? Why should a baby puppy possibly end up suffering just because you changed your mind? :mad

Might be an idea to speak to the breeder and see what they have to say? They may well refund your money and my guess would be that they would.

Edited by Melbomb

IMO handing over $1500 without doing research on the breed first or at least asking the questions of the breeder who's dog it is is an issue.

I had researched the breed, the breeder had only told me one issue the dog had but have read there are quite a few more issues I should be concerned about.

The dog is $2,500 and i was certain i wanted the dog at the time so I didnt see an issue giving $1500, but now im feeling worried....im only human it happens

$1500 is a huge amount of money for a deposit, especially for a companion only. Most pedigree dogs don't cost that much in total. Is this a frenchie or bulldog or similar?

Also, any dog, mixed or pure breed can develop a serious problem at any time. Yes there are some breeds where you go into it knowing that there are specific risks, but in those cases I don't think you'd part with that kind of money without sorting out how you felt about that first?

There are no guarantees but the fact this breeder has tested is a good thing and reduces your risk.

The deposit is $1500? :eek:

I wonder what the actual price is :eek: :eek: :eek:

If the breeder is repsonsible and ethical they will give at least most of the desposit back. I think it would be justified keeping a small amount, to cover the costs of having to advertise again or turn away other buyers etc.

I don't understand why they would shell out $1500 on a dog that they hadn't even researched?

The deposit is $1500? :eek:

I wonder what the actual price is :eek: :eek: :eek:

If the breeder is repsonsible and ethical they will give at least most of the desposit back. I think it would be justified keeping a small amount, to cover the costs of having to advertise again or turn away other buyers etc.

I don't understand why they would shell out $1500 on a dog that they hadn't even researched?

The OP stated the full price for the dog is $2500, and unfortunately, some people are impulsive in things they do.

I had researched the breed, the breeder had only told me one issue the dog had but have read there are quite a few more issues I should be concerned about.

The dog is $2,500 and i was certain i wanted the dog at the time so I didnt see an issue giving $1500, but now im feeling worried....im only human it happens

Hang on... you did your research, then the breeder openly disclosed one issue the dog had, and yet you are now looking at more issues that the breed has that you didn't find in your initial research? What makes you think that this dog has any of those issues?