Would You Give Your Dog Ice-cream?

Atanquin

Okay so I work part time in an ice cream shop to pay for my education. Today a lady came in and got her ice-cream then asked if I do half scoops? I said no because we don't it's that simple we don't have a price for half scoops I said if she really wanted half a scoop i would have to charge to full price that is the rule of our shop and most other places you go. She didn't like that and went on to say it was for her little dog he liked chocolate ice cream? So I told her we couldn't sell her chocolate ice-cream if it was intended for pet consumption as chocolate could make him sick and we use real chocolate in our ice-cream and it's rather strong. Then she has a go at me about telling her what not to feed HER dog. And I kindly explained to her that if I gave her chocolate ice-cream knowing it was for the dog and he became ill we could get in trouble as chocolate is bad for dogs. Then she swore at me and walked out only to walk back in to ask for a cup with water in it for her dog? Once again I told her that I can not give out free cups because they cost us money? And that if she would like I can sell her a cup and a bottle of water? So she once again swore at me and walked of say I was cruel for not giving her dog water? I dunno about anyone else but I never go out without a bottle of water and bowl for my dog? I was so polite to her and that is our shop rules sorry but I had to vent some ppl are so rude

P.S sorry about and spelling / grammar mistakes just a bit upset after all that

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rofl: yep mine get ice-cream as a special treat or a bulla frozen yoghurt tub. In summer when we have been away up the river I will occasionally get them a dixie cup each or something like that. They love it. They have also been known to have a spoonful of chocolate ice cream or clean out my bowl when I have had ice cream at home.

If it had been me I would have paid for a full scoop, eaten half a scoop myself and then given the remaining half to the dog :laugh: - problem sorted.

I do, I also let them eat snickers Pods.

If it had been me I would have paid for a full scoop, eaten half a scoop myself and then given the remaining half to the dog :laugh: - problem sorted.

Same here, then again mine will eat a whole scoop :laugh:

Mine gets a lick of my vanilla :p or frozen yoghurt but the chocolate In our shop is has high cocoa ( we make it our selfs so I know how much goes in) it's not like the cheap stuff that hardly has any and wouldn't hurt your dog unless over fed :p probably should have called the thread some thing slightly different but it was I could think of at the time :)

:rofl: mine would to most likely if I let them Sway - but 2 dogs means they have to share ;).

Mine have also had the occasional chocolate biscuit so they do get bits of chocolate to :laugh:.

Edited by ness

My two love a spoon each of So Good vanilla.Man it's the yummiest ice-cream,but I know what your saying she didn't have to be abusive to you for just doing your job.I have worked in hospitality for 25 years and the general public can be a bitch.Having said that you can't really tell her what to feed her dog(unless it's company policy not to give chocolate ice-cream to dogs)after all they still serve fat kids at Macca's.Maybe get the boss to put up a sign"Dogs eat ice-cream at owners risk"LOL.Sorry you had a crappy customer,it does put a downer on your day :(

One hot afternoon while we were having a garage sale ... my mum stopped the home ice-cream guy and brought a box of ice-creams (on a stick with chocolate coating) ...

She then ate the chocolate coating off one and let the youngest lick the ice-cream off the stick while she held it ... then realised the other dog missed out ... so she got another ice-cream out, ate the chocolate coating off and gave him the ice-cream.

It isn't something our boys have often ... but more of a special treat. Definately no chcolate ice-cream (or caramel as that is my favourite and I don't share :laugh: )

Edited by Tilly

A store would not get in trouble for selling a person chocolate icecream knowing that person would feed it to their dog! In any event, the amount of chocolate in icecream is minimal and I highly doubt it would cause any issues for the dog.

Have to admit I'd be pretty peeved at a shop assistant telling me what I could and could not feed my dog - my dog so my choice!

That aside, yep I give my dog icecream. He loves soft serve from Maccas and has a theory that the sound of a spoon scrapping the side of a bowl = ice cream for him.

Our ice cream has 80% pure cocoa bean it's real strong stuff :p Like i said it's not your normal ice-cream it's fancy rofl we get a few ppl in our shop that share there ice-cream with their dogs

Edited by Atanquin

I think that you were probably right to warn the lady in question that the ice cream you sell is a lot stronger than the ordinary supermarket variety - although at the end of the day it is up to her if she wants to feed it to her dog or not. Based on your description, even though legally she had no case, I'm sure she would have been back to scold you :p

Also, on a different day, in a different thread and depending on wind direction and the alignment of the planets, someone who said that they fed their dog ice cream might be criticised by some people for being irresponsible ;) Our dogs occasionally get to have a tiny lick of an ice cream lid.

Edited by koalathebear

Oops had a typo sorry every one I told her we shouldn't sell her the choco not couldn't was just trying to inform her how strong it was sorry ( my word exactly to her where: we really should't sell the chocolate to dogs because it has 80% natural cocoa bean in it so it rather strong and could make your dog sick, it's not like the cheap Store brought ice cream.) hope that clears that for you :D

One of the best tips I've got from DOL, is to give pills to dogs in a dollop of ice-cream. I've found it works. Dogs that'll battle not to swallow a pill, or will find it inside anything else like a bit of sausage....will gulp down some ice-cream, pill & all, in a flash.