Costs Of Owning A Canine

arjay

If I had the choice of a dog or $10 million I'd take the dog without even thinking, even if the dog was my naughty girl here who has cost me a fortune in all the things she has ruined! Oh how I love that rascal! You can't buy the joy, comfort, love, forgiveness or memories that come with owning a dog. I think they give far more than they take.

If I had the choice of a dog or $10 million I'd take the dog without even thinking, even if the dog was my naughty girl here who has cost me a fortune in all the things she has ruined! Oh how I love that rascal! You can't buy the joy, comfort, love, forgiveness or memories that come with owning a dog. I think they give far more than they take.

I'd take the $10 million.. and then buy a dozen dogs. :rofl:

Dogs are still a damn sight cheaper than kids . . . and in many cases, more rewarding. Note also the occasional pole about dog vs. spouse, in which the dog always wins :D.

http://www.courierma...p-1226081920678

The RSPCA estimates the minimum costs over a dog's lifetime can add up to about $23,139 for a small dog, $25,580 for a large dog and $32,120 for average medium-sized dogs, which tend to live longer.

And the cost of keeping a dog is growing every year.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said the costs of pet ownership were rising alongside the general cost of living, and some new pet owners underestimated how much money it took to look after their pup over a lifetime.

"There are a lot of things that people forget about that can add up," he said.

He said costs for food, vaccinations, vet fees and on-going heartworm, flea and tick prevention, as well as incidentals like boarding for when the owners went on holiday could contribute to a hefty pet care bill.

But Mr Beatty said there were things owners could do to keep costs down.

"You don't have to shower a fortune on expensive toys or hugely expensive food," he said.

"You can cut down on a lot of costs with do-it-yourself products to keep the animal entertained during the day. The dog doesn't care whether it costs $50 or 50 cents, as long as it's keeping him or her entertained."

Meredith Brothers, a vet, said new owners often didn't plan for the costs involved if their pet became sick or injured, and taking out pet insurance could save an owner thousands of dollars.

"Your dog can just go down to the beach and twist its leg and it's $3500," Dr Brothers said.

"They're the sort of expenses people don't plan for and that's why I really encourage pet insurance."

Owners could cut costs by doing their own grooming and making their own toys but shouldn't skimp on pet food or try to make their own.

"What we recommend here is a high-quality dry food," she said.

Dr Brothers said people were generally spending more on their pets than in the past.

Any opnions? My friend said me after reading this in the paper, you could of bought a nice car. While I said I would rather have a canine companion instead to keep me company.

I have people ask how much my dogs cost to feed. I reply 'not as much as shopping and lunching with the girls on the weekend, not as much as you spend on beer and cigarettes, and certainly not as much as you spend on your children'. I tell my Husband, 'it is better than me having spare time and a boyfriend'. People just do not get it, and I don't care that they don't!

Hmmmmmm I drink beer and smoke cigarettes and the occassional lunch with friends but my dogs never pay for my social habits.Please don't let this turn into the bone thread! :laugh:

What is a 'bone thread'?

I had horses, the dogs are cheap compared to them.

3 dogs is hindering my house search though. Mainly because I am being sooky about it, I am sure they will be fine. The pets are high on the list of why I want to keep this much too big for me house.

Back in the dark ages when I decided to really get into the dog showing/breeding etc. I started a journal with debit and credit columns. After wearing out a number of red biros the book and idea were relegated to the bin before the OH happened to see it :laugh:

Hmmm, well if I didn't expect to pay for them I wouldn't have them!!!

Emma has probably cost me about $10,000 in the last 6 months,I've had her for 3 years. So if she cost that much every 3 years then she'd be a $40,000 dog!!!! Oh and that was just medical expenses, who knows what I've paid in terms of food/activities/etc. But I'm happy and have happy dogs!!!

I have decided though that pet insurance is a must, as seeing as though Kenzie is insured nothing will ever go wrong with her and I will never need it (one of those karma things I'm sure!!!!)! ;)

I had horses, the dogs are cheap compared to them.

3 dogs is hindering my house search though. Mainly because I am being sooky about it, I am sure they will be fine. The pets are high on the list of why I want to keep this much too big for me house.

Yep after you've had horses dogs are a walk in the park :laugh: Haing said that though a lot of stuff for dogs does cost more, I know it costs me more for vaccinations per dog than it does per horse, mind you you save a lot being able to vaccinate the horse yourself, that might change if we get a hendra vax though, I'll happily take a hendra vax any way it comes the sooner the better. Dental for the dogs was a lot dearer than it was for the horses although it's less frequent.

At the Petshop they should put an energy rating on each animal-

This goldfish gets a 5 star rating with a 2kW energy and effort yearly consumption, Mr Rabbit is 4 star..... right down to the puppies, 1 star.

Hmmmmm perhaps that won't fly :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

At the Petshop they should put an energy rating on each animal-

This goldfish gets a 5 star rating with a 2kW energy and effort yearly consumption, Mr Rabbit is 4 star..... right down to the puppies, 1 star.

Hmmmmm perhaps that won't fly :laugh:

Plus estimates of how much extra they will cost you with the carbon tax in power etc :p They can them demonstrate that pet rocks are a good option for many!