Dangerous Dog On The Loose - Thornleigh, Nsw

There is a large staffy type dog (this is what the owners have told me) on the loose since last night - they saw me with my littlies and came to warn me - very worrying. He has attacked two dogs since he's been out, council have been driving round looking for him. He doesn't have a collar on and is a brindle colour, white splash on the chest and apparently very overweight. He's too strong for the family to walk on a lead so for 18 mths since they adopted him and found he was dog aggro and strong, he's been kept in the backyard only.

They got him from a Free to Good Home ad. Enough said.

Edited by dogmad

Unfortunately he's in a home with people who are clueless. Another neighbour's husband saw the dog this morning after it had half killed a poodle wihch was being walked by a little boy.

I really wish people would not let their kids walk dogs alone, it is really risky for many reasons and I've seen about 5 kids out with dogs today, on their own - worse than normal as it is school hols.

Oh gees. A brindle Bull Terrier was reported missing to us this morning (Pennant Hills), followed by a call from the council regarding the same dog, asking we contact them first if the dog is bought in to us. Owner didn't mention anything about DA, however the council did say there had been an incident.

I hate free to good home ads.. or even worse I hate free to any home ads :(

I hope they find him.. I hope he doesn't get pts :(

Might be the best thing for him - sorry, I don't think DA dogs should be allowed to live

... I don't think DA dogs should be allowed to live

There are plenty of people on this forum who have DA dogs and manage them perfectly well. A DA dog is a nuisance if it is not managed well by the owners. But being DA is not reason enough to PTS.

Oh gees. A brindle Bull Terrier was reported missing to us this morning (Pennant Hills), followed by a call from the council regarding the same dog, asking we contact them first if the dog is bought in to us. Owner didn't mention anything about DA, however the council did say there had been an incident.

What sort of checks and balances are done in case council get hold of the wrong dog? Ie two brindle bull type dogs missing at the same time. This is what freaks me out if my dog ever escapes, mistaken identity and blamed for doing things she hasn't done.

I hope the offending dog is found quick, definatly not good to have a dog like that wandering around.

This is horrible. I hope all the dogs it has attacked are ok and that the council do not pick up the wrong dog.

Poodlemum - That is offensive. As already said many members on here have DA dogs, including myself.

Frufru - Poodlemum didn't say DA dogs who can't be managed should be put down she said "I don't think DA dogs should be allowed to live" that is a very blanket statement.

Might be the best thing for him - sorry, I don't think DA dogs should be allowed to live

Yes lets just kill the dog, leaving clueless owners to do it all over again with another dog!

Blame the dog, kill the dog and move on, always the easiest solution Isn't It.

While I agree a DA shouldn't be on the loose, but how about some owner responsibility here to

It is entirely the owners responsibility. This dog has already been rehomed once and the current owners solution is to lock it in their back yard - is this any type of life for a dog. It is not being adequately contained either. Everyday, perfectly healthy, well temperamented dogs are euth'ed. If an owner wishes to spend time and money on their DA dog that is their choice and is what I would do if I were faced with thad decision but I like to think I am a responsible dog owner. Should pounds and rescue groups do it - no, I don't think they should but that is JMO

Edited by frufru

I answered one of those very ad's in our local paper & ended up rescuing a magnificent,extremely abused/traumatized red/white Border Collie,

who gave my 14.5 years of total love & devotion.He was just a beautiful boy. R.I.P. Redman run free sweet boy :heart:

Every situation is different, isn't it?

I believe it is never the dogs fault. 100 % clueless owners.

Hope they find this poor dog before someone is seriously hurt. And yes kids should not be left to walk dogs without supervision.

Anything could happen.

Edited by BC Crazy

Unfortunately he's in a home with people who are clueless. Another neighbour's husband saw the dog this morning after it had half killed a poodle wihch was being walked by a little boy.

I really wish people would not let their kids walk dogs alone, it is really risky for many reasons and I've seen about 5 kids out with dogs today, on their own - worse than normal as it is school hols.

What a sad world it has become that kids can't even take their dog for a walk. :cry: When I was a kid I walked my entire male dog all over the district. There weren't any DA dogs around then and it it was quite safe. Now I never walk my dogs in my local area, almost all the dogs around here are fighting breeds or crosses of them and many are not safely contained. :mad