Small, Bold And Active Breeds?

corvus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RosieFT

My vote is for a smooth fox terrier (you won't need to pick out the burrs and grass when you are done! ) My girl is slight for a foxie, does not seem to have developed that muscled up front end, so is only around 7.5kg. Tough as an ox, out going, life loving dog. Has no fear of heights (jumps off our very high retaining wall - wish she wouldn't!) , .... has an off switch when around home and nothing is going on, when out and about has such a zest for life, lovely to be a part of :-)

They have long legs so can keep up well :-) . When she tires, she only needs 5 minute re boot and she is off again :-)

What don't you like about terriers? the bounciness? the unerring focus on a job (they think) is worth doing?

I know someone with a Min Pin who would never have the breed again as their dog so highly strung and nervous.

Just adding. If you happen to be riding a horse on your long trek, get a tibbie. They're brilliant at riding on the saddle in front of the rider. They have no fear of heights (well, when your ancestors had Mt Everest in the backyard :) )

I've heard of a several cases now of people who, as a matter of course, have their tibbie riding with them.

Edited by mita

Because I have to... Toy Poodle

Tough as teak, extremely agile and yes, you can pick them up if the going gets really tough.

I know my minis leave me for dead in the rough. The only thing they tend to struggle in is very high grass without any trails in it.

Totally. Looks can be deceiving! One of mine is a little energiser bunny, and the obstacles mentioned I guarantee would be no obstacle at all. They're also good at navigating around things and spotting paths that don't appear to be appropriate for human travelling :D

Tough as teak, extremely agile and yes, you can pick them up if the going gets really tough.

I know my minis leave me for dead in the rough. The only thing they tend to struggle in is very high grass without any trails in it.

Totally. Looks can be deceiving! One of mine is a little energiser bunny, and the obstacles mentioned I guarantee would be no obstacle at all. They're also good at navigating around things and spotting paths that don't appear to be appropriate for human travelling :D

One day I'd like to have a toy poodle, one of those lovely chestnut coloured ones. Not sure if that's what their colour is offically called.

One day I'd like to have a toy poodle, one of those lovely chestnut coloured ones. Not sure if that's what their colour is offically called.

I think it's red.

I don't usually like toy poodles as I am not really a small dog person but I met the cutest, friendliest outgoing toy poodle today in my agility class. He was so tiny but was gorgeous and he was that red colour as well. I could have scooped him up and brought him home with me :D

Without a doubt a Toy Poodle, I ll second Poodle fan. We have had several in the past 30 years and they all LOVE activity can go for miles. Had a little white girl who use to round up the cattle with us and help bring in the milk cow ( house cow ), She would come on rides with me 10km over all sortes of terrain, loved the beach loved a swim.

Most of them are pocket rockets.

Had a little white girl who use to round up the cattle with us and help bring in the milk cow ( house cow ), She would come on rides with me 10km over all sortes of terrain, loved the beach loved a swim.

:) This reminds me of a neighbour's little poodle - 30 odd years ago . She was always doing 'something' whether in the sheepyards, chasing rabbits ..riding with her boss on the motorbike...

Hmmm, toy poodles. They and papillons had come to mind. I'm a bit shy of lap dogs, though. I HATE having them expect to sit on me even if I have just sat down for a moment. I like my personal space at least some of the time.

Frankly, I don't really want a dog with no fear of heights! The boys give me heart palpatations the way they merrily hoon around on the edges of cliffs. They aren't stupid and have never even looked like they were going to jump off something too high for them, but they go back on leash anyway because my nerves can't take it. :p They have been known to start high speed games of chase and tackle on steep and rocky paths. I don't quite trust them to remember to be careful when there are drop-offs around.

Incidentally, it's funny that some people are saying long legs help. I was recently talking to someone who says short legs and a slighty longer body help small dogs keep up on difficult terrain. And independently, someone else mentioned their short-legged dogs did better finding their feet on rock platforms at the beach than larger, longer-legged dogs. Certainly Erik never seems to put a foot wrong even on the most ridiculous terrain that leaves Kivi stumbling all over the place.

I am really not sure what I don't like about terriers to be honest. The single-mindedness, perhaps. I won't say I'm open to being persuaded, but I'm trying to be!

I am really not sure what I don't like about terriers to be honest. The single-mindedness, perhaps. I won't say I'm open to being persuaded, but I'm trying to be!

Hmn... was going to suggest a westie or a cairn - they were bred for this type of stuff - although my bunch of lounge lizards wouldn't make it! But I suspect if they were trained from young adulthood they should be good at it... but they do have an independent streak, tough and nuggety - and interesting thats what I actually like about them... no wimpy,characterless lap dog here!

Edited by westiemum

Frankly, I don't really want a dog with no fear of heights! The boys give me heart palpatations the way they merrily hoon around on the edges of cliffs. !

Tibbies have confidence around heights....combined with sure-footedness. They have the same hare-feet as a mountain goat.

And their intelligence means they don't do things for the risky heck of it. They'd be the last dog to 'merrily hoon around on the edges of cliffs.' That would fail the famous Tibbie test of, 'And the point of this....is?'

With their self-possessed nature, an owner prone to heart palpatations would drive them nuts.

Edited by mita

I'm a bit shy of lap dogs, though. I HATE having them expect to sit on me

ANY dog can (or desire to be) be a lap dog as you describe- same as any dog can be trained to NOT jump up/sit on people. Oh - people can also be trained to not pick up dogs /let them jump up . ;)

Dogs only 'expect' to sit one someone if they have been previously allowed to .

Your two dogs are fairly heavily built spitz breeds so not really designed for the kind of terrain you are talking about, you want something nimble and light footed, I vote for the lighter terrier breeds and the mini poodle. :) ETA and the min pin :)

Edited by WoofnHoof