Goodbye My Darling Nala

dogslife

You came into our lives when I was doing dog rescue. You had been picked up with your Mum and brother running on the streets, and placed into the pound. Your brother was the image of my old dog who had died the year before and I just had to save him. You were micro-chipped so you had an extra week. I conned a friend to foster your Mum and brother and left you at the pound. I waited the week to see if anyone would take you…… the pound thought you were not worth saving. Too scared and flighty, they said you could never be calmed because of the abuse you had suffered.

I returned the next week to find you still there. I had no room for an extra dog. As I watched you in the cage the vet arrived to put down the dogs who had reached the end of their time. They put you on a leash to lead you away. The vet turned to me and said “which needle”?.... “the vaccination or the green dream”………. I took you home.

You were not great with other dogs and we had to watch the pack. You slept at night in my daughters room to get you used to people being kind and to remove the stress of the pack. You were so scared. To feed you I had to leave the food in your sight, out the back yard and move everyone away. You would run away from your food if anyone came close. It was never a treat. You watched with amazement as the other dogs took treats from my hands. You were so thin that every rib stuck out. My daughter called you Nala.

I knew it would be months before I could put you up for adoption. We thought that you were six years old.

As the weeks passed my daughter fell seriously ill. We visited the doctors and were transferred to RPA. Life changed to weekly hospital visits and long stays in bed. My daughter and Nala spent all of their time together. As my daughter slowly healed so did Nala. I realised that I could not separate them and Nala became a permanent member of the family. You never really fitted into the dog pack. You misunderstood many dog messages but they accepted you. It was an up and down relationship with the rest of the dogs and cats, but your love for my daughter was so clear. I often think that you helped her fight the illness that nearly took her life.

As the two of you healed you rediscovered the world together. My daughter taught you to sit and stay, and to take food from her hand. You were food aggressive with other dogs but we managed to teach you to eat within the pack group. The other dogs were bemused at your habits. But best of all we taught you to love and to play. You even learnt to play with new dogs at the park.

I look back at the fragile dog that arrived here and I wonder at the loved, calm and friendly dog that you became.

We nearly lost you two years ago when you argued with the pack over a dying rat that you had caught. You lost the argument and you spent several weeks on a knife edge. We marvelled at your recovery. The vets had said that you would never run again……..but they didn’t know you Nala. You went on to start agility and you adored it. You became the talk of the vet world amongst those who had operated on you.

Then life took another turn. You now lived in a apartment block with my daughter when she left home. You were the apartment dog. You showed the non dog people what a delight you were and they all left their doors open for you to visit. I would turn up to the apartment building to find you snoozing in the stairwell with all the security doors open to allow you visit everyone. The women loved the safety that a Belgian Shepherd provided. Couriers would stay outside the gates…. too scared of your sleeping form. The gardens were your backyard and the building voted you full access whenever you wanted.

We discovered that you had a heart problem. You had a slight cough and a runny nose. The Vets explained that you had only weeks to live. But you proved them wrong again. You made 6 mths and they were delightful days. You responded to the treatment and to the untrained eye you were full of energy. You bounced through your final months. You had a great last day. You were with my daughter all morning, cuddling on the lounge. Then a visit to my house for a romp and a run at the park. You ran rings around the other two dogs and you bounced back to my place. Dinner was your favourite…. Steamed chicken…… and then into bed with me whilst the kids went to a movie. You cuddled me and snored…. a sweet combination. Your smile was beaming when my daughter arrived to collect you and the two of you played on my bed. You jumped all over the other two dogs. She took you home with you sitting next to her on the front seat. You died in your sleep that night…….loved and blessed at having found peace and comfort after a horrid start.

My daughter has lost the friend that helped her fight her illness, who stayed with her though thick and thin. She has lost her love and she, like me, grieves at your passing. You were loved very much. You have gone to join Chantie who left us only 16 days ago. The loss of both of you in such a short time leaves us devastated and our remaining two dogs look for you both. We had a wonderful seven years with you. Goodbye my darling Nala.

post-8618-0-52542400-1313840086_thumb.jpg

Goodbye Nala - you will be greatly missed. I am honoured to have known you :cry:

It sounds like you chose your time - following the perfect day, doing all the things you loved and spending time with your family.

Hopefully it is comfort to your family that you and Chantie can keep each other company while you wait.

Big hugs to you and GirlChild Suz. xxx

Dogslife that was the most beautiful and heartfelt tribute, but I'm crying for you and your daughter and the rest of the pack. There has been so much loss this year of amazing dogs who have touched our lives. I wish they lived as long as we did.

I'm so sorry for your losses.

xxx

I dont come into the Rainbow bridge very often because it makes me sad

I saw the name of this thread and had to read it.

What a lucky girl Nala was to have had you, your family and your daughter to love her. You also were lucky to have Nala

I am so sorry for your loss.

Rest Easy Nala

I am so sorry for your loss dogslife. :(

I feel your pain and know how much it hurts. :cry:

Nala was one very special girl. Your tribute to her is beautiful. I too am in tears reading it.

Please know I am thinking of you and your family at this sad time. :hug:

R.I.P. Nala :angel::rainbowbridge:

I am so sorry for your loss Dogslife, Nala and Chantie both sound like they were both very special dogs and your tributes to them were full of the love you felt for them and brought tears to my eyes. I am finding it hard enough to deal with the loss of one of my furkids a few weeks ago I can barely imagine how aweful it must be to loose two so close together, my heart goes out to you and your family at this sad time and I wish I could ease your pain. They were both lucky dogs to have found such a caring and loving family after such a rocky start in life and it is lovely to know that they got to experience that joy in life which we wish every dog could have. RIP Nala and Chantie.