Unable To Keep Dog Thats Under A Contract

pinkpuppy

Honestly the breed deos matter because I am quite sure all the Rotti breeders that have seen this will now be on the look out incase you contact them.

You got a Rotti and threw it in the backyard - what the hell did you expect would happen? I LOVE Rottis and to think this bitch is in a back yard going mental becaue you are clueless makes me very upset. You signed a contract you want to back out of becaue all or a sudden due to your laziness it is now too hard. Why in the hell would you think ANYONE would be at all sympathetic to your plight?

Give the breeder a call, the dog world is a small place this will get back to them and it will be figured out. It will not go down well. People like you are the reason so many dog breeders feel the need to have cast iron contracts in place and are so very picky where their beloved puppies go.

You should be ashamed of yourself - call yourself a dog breeder, well please do not put yourself in with me becauce you are not a responsible person you are a disgrace.

seriously :eek:

I have not just thrown my dog in the backyard, I show her most weekends!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know why you are making such a big deal out of not being able to care for a dog anymore???...I could do so much WORSE than just ask for the breeder to pay for the dog LIKE I DID! If money isnt an issue WHATS THE PROBLEM???

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the Rottis I've ever had have been complete lounge lizards... given the choice between a comfy couch or the back yard, they preferred to laze on the couch... and I've had several Rottis over the years.

My Lab, on the other hand, was hell on wheels until she turned 5 and started to calm down.

PP are you home a lot, or are you away from home for several hours a day? I work, so my dogs are kept inside (in areas they can't do much damage to) with plenty of toys and stuff to keep them occupied while I'm out. You could consider a large crate or the like if your girl is causing issues with the neighbours too...

T.

Honestly the breed deos matter because I am quite sure all the Rotti breeders that have seen this will now be on the look out incase you contact them.

You got a Rotti and threw it in the backyard - what the hell did you expect would happen? I LOVE Rottis and to think this bitch is in a back yard going mental becaue you are clueless makes me very upset. You signed a contract you want to back out of becaue all or a sudden due to your laziness it is now too hard. Why in the hell would you think ANYONE would be at all sympathetic to your plight?

Give the breeder a call, the dog world is a small place this will get back to them and it will be figured out. It will not go down well. People like you are the reason so many dog breeders feel the need to have cast iron contracts in place and are so very picky where their beloved puppies go.

You should be ashamed of yourself - call yourself a dog breeder, well please do not put yourself in with me becauce you are not a responsible person you are a disgrace.

seriously :eek:

I have not just thrown my dog in the backyard, I show her most weekends!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know why you are making such a big deal out of not being able to care for a dog anymore???...I could do so much WORSE than just ask for the breeder to pay for the dog LIKE I DID! If money isnt an issue WHATS THE PROBLEM???

You seem to highlite the point of "I could do so much WORSE" ...........Like selling this dog in The Trading Post. It is obviously about $$$$$$ to you

Where I'm from in Europe breeders make similar contracts. Thing is, they don't hold up in court, due to a law that says no one can tell you what to do with your own property. So signing a contract like that might give the breeder peace of mind, but it goes against the law and is worthless.

Maybe that's also the case in Australia? Unless the breeder retained part ownership of the dog I don't really see why she has any right to dictate what happens to the dog.

You think breeders are hypocritical?

Yet you are the one who seems to be obsessed by getting you money back. If money isn't an issue- then why are you so determined to get money back???

I think it is quite unrealisitic for you to expect the breeder to refund your dog now that you have had it for months, particularly if it is because of a behavioural problem.

Within the first week or two, I can perhaps understand a refund if the pup had an existing problem etc.

There are really a limited number of good homes available for a dog like you describe: a large, powerful,entire, high drive dog who has existing behavoiural problems. I mean, she doesn't exactly sound like a dream pet at the moment- not saying she couldn't be with a bit of work and effort but pet buyers generally don't want a project. Yes, you could probably sell her off to a puppy farmer, or irresponsible byber or owner who wants a tough looking dog, but you know this is not a good life for her. Surely you want better for her?

You have a breeder that knows the breed, and is willing to take the dog back. That sounds like an ideal situation to me.

I admit I do not understand your attitude, surely you want the best home for your dog which is not necessarily going to be the one offering the most $$$ for her.

As others have said, you should contact the breeder directly and discuss this situation with her.

Edited by aussielover

MEH - sorry but I know of several cases where breeder enforced contract through small claims and rightly so.

Do you? Because the ones I've heard of have been unsuccessful because quite simply the person has paid money for the dog and therefore they own the dog.

Where I'm from in Europe breeders make similar contracts. Thing is, they don't hold up in court, due to a law that says no one can tell you what to do with your own property. So signing a contract like that might give the breeder peace of mind, but it goes against the law and is worthless.

Maybe that's also the case in Australia? Unless the breeder retained part ownership of the dog I don't really see why she has any right to dictate what happens to the dog.

Ordinarily speaking, you would be right.

However, a contract dictating the conidtions of sale of property, that meets all other legal requirements can hold true in the event that the person buying the property agreed to and signed it.

In terms of duress, I'm assuming the OP is referring to economic duress. That wouldn't stand in the circumstances because economic duress is defined well in common law (I cant remember the exact cases), I do recall

cases which expressly stipulated that holding a deposit does not amount to ecnomic duress, especially so if any potential cooling off period has expired (which I assume is the case). So good luck with that. Otherwise, you'd have cases of people putting down deposits and then changing their mind entering into contract only to claim 'duress'. Pretty stupid really.

All that said, I don't think the situation is fair on the OP. As others have mentioned, the best thing to do would be to contact the breeder and discuss the matter. Failing that, I can see avenues for legal recourse when it comes to these type of contracts, but it is touch and go (and I won't go into it here).

It really is pathetic when a person blindly refuses to have the self-honesty required to take responsibility for their own actions and decision making and everything is ALWAYS the fault of someone else or the fault of some "unforseeable" circumstance.

PP, I am not going to have a go at you, youve already been given that from others so what i will suggest is that you contact the breeder and discuss the matter with him/her. They may well give you your money back OR a partial refund as they will have to care for the girl until they find her a new home (food,vet bills etc). A contract is just that, a contract. If your breeder was to break the terms of the contract I am sure you'd be screaming 'but we have a contract'. Yes contracts are meant to be fair for both parties as they are meant to [twitter][/twitter]look after everyone, but most importantly they are there to look after the welfare of the dog.

Did you research Rottweilers before making this purchase? A bored Rottweiler is a destructive Rottweiler. Rottweilers love company and don't do well as a garden ornament. What age is the dog? Have you thought of going to a professional trainer to help you fix these problems rather than disposing of the dog? What is causing the dog to bark? Have you thought of building a safe area for her, such as a large dog run that way your garden will remain as it is and your dog will be happy in her own designated area. There are many alternatives than rehoming, but in all honesty it seems as though you've taken on more than you are used to. Rottweilers are not for everyone, they are an acquired taste and that's why most f us are quite thorough in our selection of homes for our puppies. The amount of homes I rejected for Jett's last litter would astound you.

Please speak to your breeder, you may find that you are worried over nothing.

Great post :thumbsup:

What else can I add except to say Good Grief!! :(

Wow what an interesting thread. If I had sold you a dog I would be very disappointed in myself and I would be equally disappointed that you choose to air this publically and not come straight to me first. As a breeder I would give you a full refund JUST to get rid of you and to get the dog back - contract or no contract.

The breeder should at least be given the opertunity to take the dog back .The OP's past reluctance to communicate with the breeder is puzzling.To me it shows a lack of maturity.The breeder knows the dog well and could give the best advise for it's welfare and assist in rehoming the dog.

I hope Pinkpuppy can step up and do the right thing.I would like to know how things go for the dog.

MEH - sorry but I know of several cases where breeder enforced contract through small claims and rightly so.

Do you? Because the ones I've heard of have been unsuccessful because quite simply the person has paid money for the dog and therefore they own the dog.

Honestly I do, at least one of them in my own breed.

Wow what an interesting thread. If I had sold you a dog I would be very disappointed in myself and I would be equally disappointed that you choose to air this publically and not come straight to me first. As a breeder I would give you a full refund JUST to get rid of you and to get the dog back - contract or no contract.

Same, I think most breeders would :)

Many breeders say, they will take the dog back for free and not pay for it for various reason -

A main one being, not everyone has $2500 laying around (or whatever someone paid for the puppy)

Not to mention you would get some who need money and think well why not just give the puppy back to the breeder and we will buy another one later.

Honestly I do, at least one of them in my own breed.

I know of 2 others, not in my breed who has done it as well.

hmmm....funny how breeders get all the rights.

I have complaints from my neighbors because of this dog barking alllll the time, she has destroyed my backyard aswell....how can I know this was going to happen???

Seriously???

My dogs destroyed my yard when they were puppies. I had to lay new grass for two years in a row!! I also received a barking complaint from one of my neighbours two years back and I took the advice from this forum as well as brought in a dog behaviourist. This when my dogs were walked/taken to the dog park morning and evening every day without fail.

All these issues are now resolved. But at no time did I even consider giving up my dogs. I can still understand wanting to rehome a dog you can't manage. But I find it unacceptable to try and sell the dog to get your money back. A dog is part of the family and you do what is best for the dog.

I keep coming back to this thread, it has really annoyed me.

What ever happened to common decency - there was a time when giving your word to someone was actually worth something - even more when it was on paper.

What a shame to place such little value on oneself.

Pinkpuppy - have you contacted the breeder of your bitch yet?

Edited by Andisa

I cannot believe this thread. I feel really sad for the dog in question.

Please do the right thing by her and give her back to the breeder.

You obviously don't have the time nor patience for her. :( It sounds like you're more worried about what your neighbours think than the welfare and wellbeing of your girl.

Maybe if you had of done more with her she wouldn't be barking and destroying your garden and annoying your neighbours. :(

You also come across as being quiet money hungry. Sorry but just telling it as I see it. And I think that's really sad. Put her first and give her a chance in a home with someone who has the time, patience, love and experience to give her, because you clearly don't.

And you say you're a breeder? :eek: