Could It Be Bloat? Urgent Please.

Kirislin

wow, she's already at the vet and he's being seen now. The vet said whippets cannot get bloat. Dogs under 30kgs wont get it, I dont know why, but I have never heard of a whippet with bloat before so I'm hoping he is right. They are concerned though as he seems in alot of discomfort.

I know a 25kg Bull Terrier bitch who died of it.

Hope your friends dog is ok

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost my beautiful nine year old shepherd earlier this year to gastric torsion :cry: - can I just give people a heads-up on the symptoms I noticed.

The first sign was that he was not comfortable lying down, he was pacing a lot, he had what they call unproductive gagging (trying to vomit without producing anything) pale gums and the most obvious was the bloated abdomen . If you have any clue that your dog may have this condition you need to get your dog to the vet ASAP!!! I knew my dog had it, and literally raced him to the vet and yet within 3 hours of noticing the first signs he was given his wings during surgery :cry:

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for this little guy as it is the most heart breaking thing I have ever gone through with my dogs.

Edited by gsdog2

I lost my beautiful nine year old shepherd earlier this year to gastric torsion :cry: - can I just give people a heads-up on the symptoms I noticed.

The first sign was that he was not comfortable lying down, he was pacing a lot, he had what they call unproductive gagging (trying to vomit without producing anything) pale gums and the most obvious was the bloated abdomen . If you have any clue that your dog may have this condition you need to get your dog to the vet ASAP!!! I knew my dog had it, and literally raced him to the vet and yet within 3 hours of noticing the first signs he was given his wings during surgery :cry:

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for this little guy as it is the most heart breaking thing I have ever gone through with my dogs.

Im so so sorry gsdog2 :cry: How painful it is to lose them :(

My i ask a general question abt bloat? Are they more likely to bloat if they eat a meal straight after excerise or if they are overheated? I have been told this but was wondering if other circumstances can also cause this or if it can sometimes just happen? Our first gsd bloated when i was a young child and dad told me he just got her there in time, vet said if he had been another 5 mins....

My i ask a general question abt bloat? Are they more likely to bloat if they eat a meal straight after excerise or if they are overheated? I have been told this but was wondering if other circumstances can also cause this or if it can sometimes just happen? Our first gsd bloated when i was a young child and dad told me he just got her there in time, vet said if he had been another 5 mins....

Yes!!!! You shouldn't feed your dog 2hrs before and after exercise. If possible elevate their food bowl and if feeding dry food do not allow them to drink large amounts of water immediately after eating.

Yes!!!! You shouldn't feed your dog 2hrs before and after exercise. If possible elevate their food bowl and if feeding dry food do not allow them to drink large amounts of water immediately after eating.

Thank you :) Yes his food bowl is elevated and i always wait till he is properly cooled off before his has his dinner. Even if he does crack a case of the poopies cause he has to wait lol

Thank you :) Yes his food bowl is elevated and i always wait till he is properly cooled off before his has his dinner. Even if he does crack a case of the poopies cause he has to wait lol

:thumbsup:

wow, she's already at the vet and he's being seen now. The vet said whippets cannot get bloat. Dogs under 30kgs wont get it, I dont know why, but I have never heard of a whippet with bloat before so I'm hoping he is right. They are concerned though as he seems in alot of discomfort.

As others have said, this is not correct, even cats can get bloat! I think I'd be changing vets..

I thought my viz had bloat a couple of weeks ago, she lay on cold grass in the evening while we were doing wees, something she has never ever done. I watched her and she was uncomfortable but not showing many bloat symptoms, I took her to the vet, both of us in jammies :laugh: as it was freezing, jumpers over the top..

She had a blood test(pancreas) and physical exam and it was not bloat, but he could not work out what it could be, so she had an injection to relieve pain and tranquilise and gave me another for her during the night...which she did not need. I sat up all night and took her back at 6am as she was still not comfortable when I took her to the loo. He did an xray and saw a lump and thought she may have swallowed something, but when he investigated she had her lining twisted into a lump at her liver, something he's never seen before. It was extremely dangerous and life threatening and she was split open right down the middle. No idea why it occurred or if it will happen again etc... :o she was in 'hospital' for 3 days, poor baby.

I always take animals straight to the vet, better safe than sorry..

so sorry about your dog gsdog2, it's an awful thing and there's often not much time at all, and even if you can get them help, it's very risky. xxxxxxxxxx

Oh gosh, I hope the Whippy is ok. I worry about it with my small guys and keep a close eye. My sister's bunny (maybe 2.5kg) apparently died of stomach torsian. He was mopey one day and gone the next, but rabbits are very sensitive. I'm sure this won't happen here. Best wishes.

I know of a 5 week old rottweiler puppy that died from bloat (something I have never seen before),to say a dog under 30kg won't get it is very wrong.

I hope he is fine but I wouldn't be using that vet again

Cheers Lee

Ummm what :eek::mad Dachshunds are a known breed to suffer bloat. Saying dogs under 30kg don't bloat is ridiculous

I've heard of smaller dogs getting a torsion, which I think can happen with bloat, cant it, or am I getting all mixed up now. I was surprised when she told me he'd just said a blanket statement that dogs under 30kgs cannot get bloat, but certainly I've never heard of a whippet getting it.

I just hope whatever he's got he's getting the right treatment, I bred this boy and I love him as one of my own.

4848137789_0f2d895877.jpg

Kirislin I really do hope this boy is OK.

Yes, my understanding is that any deep-chested breed has an increased risk of suffering bloat. :confused:

Off-topic but I have to say, he's utterly gorgeous....

My understanding of it is potentially any dog can get bloat and or tortion, but some breeds are more highly predisposed to it than others.

IT is the shape and depth of the chest that is the main factor. As a "general" rule Whippets are unlikely to get it because although they have a deep chest it is narrow compared to sat Daschunds, Dobes Rottie etc which tend to have a more rounded ribcage.

My old Dobe had bloat and tortion 3 times in her life and that was one of the reasons I moved away from the breed as I was always living on a knifes edge. Making sure if they needed to be dog sat it was with someone well versed in symptoms and what not to do etc.

On Whippet World I am sure there have been people who have had or known of Whippets having had tortion, although it is unusual. The statement that a dog under 30kgs can't get it what a load of crap, my Dobe was 29 to 30kgs, Standard Poodles can suffer from it and I am quite sure the bitches would often come in under 30kgs.. If she is not happy take him to another E-Vet.

Hope he is okay. FIngers crossed from us

The jury is out on whether you should elevate their food bowls, in the greyhound community it is 50/50 up or down

Bloat is the precursor to torsion. Bloat on its on is not a huge drama, the torsion component is what is so dangerous.

Oh yes it is.

My CAO bloated for nearly 24 hours and I got him to the vet just in time.

His brother bloated also, for a similar time period, but unfortunately he died on arrival at the vet.

Bloat without torsion kills just as efficiently because the engorging stomach compromises the heart and lungs and reduces blood flow; dog goes into shock, has heart arrhythmia and dies.

Edited by lilli

We have had two Std Poodle bitches bloat, both needing surgery, both under 30kgs. The first time we had a dog bloat, had to argue with the Vet to Xray. Vet was very surprised that we had picked it so early. The first early signs are a change in behaviour, restlessness.

Well it's morning now and I didn't get any frantic phone calls overnight so I can only assume "Oscie" is OK. As soon as I hear from her I'll post his condition here.

To all those who keep telling me she needs to get another vet, it was the emergency vet so not the sort of thing you have a choice over, not her regular vet who made the 30kg statement. I thought it sounded strange too when she told me.

Edited by Kirislin

Bloat is the precursor to torsion. Bloat on its on is not a huge drama, the torsion component is what is so dangerous.

Oh yes it is.

My CAO bloated for nearly 24 hours and I got him to the vet just in time.

His brother bloated also, for a similar time period, but unfortunately he died on arrival at the vet.

Bloat without torsion kills just as efficiently because the engorging stomach compromises the heart and lungs and reduces blood flow; dog goes into shock, has heart arrhythmia and dies.

Thanks Lilli, I was just about to say the same thing. Gas bloat is still very dangerous even without torsion, for the reasons you outline. We certainly treat it as an emergency at the clinic here.

I also wonder if what the vet said about smaller dogs not bloating has been somewhat misreported here. I'm not suggesting anything malicious - it's pretty easy for this to happen when we're hearing the story second hand, especially when the person who originally talked to the vet was probably very stressed. It may not be the case, of course, but similar things have happened on DOL many times in the past.

Edited by Staranais