Third Dog

Dame Aussie

Hi all :)

Ive been away for quite a while but alas, I couldn't stay away from the knowledge of DOL for too long.

We are looking at getting a third dog and I wanted to get some opinions on what sex to go with.

The way I see it, it comes down to personality moreso than sex but I wanted to get a bit of an idea of what people with more than 2 dogs have done.

At the moment we have Lili, 3 year old Aussie, friendly with other dogs but can be quite reserved with strange people and grumpy if her ball is stolen....and Mosley, almost 3 yrs old, Anatolian/Maremma, independent, great with every other dog I've ever seen him with but can be a bit of a cave dog (not with us, but with other dogs) when it comes to protecting his bone. Both desexed and pretty chilled out in general.

We haven't decided what we want yet or whether we will be going to a breeder or rescue but we have a few ideas...just a few (like a million.) :laugh:

Anyway, enough of my rambling, I look forward to any and all opinions!! Thanks guys!

I think you should ignore gender and really focus on a temperament that would fit in with your current dogs. Maybe PM one of the trainers/behaviourists on this forum and ask their opinion on what sort of temperament/personality would be a best fit.

I have had mixtures of males and females in a mulitdog household and as they have all been desexed I don't think that gender is a factor. Even when the boys where entire, I don't think it mattered. I think it all comes down to personality. That's why you get so many conflicting opinions on gender combinations (ie, one person will say they have multiple girls that get along great while another person will say they have multiple girls who don't get along at all). I think gender might play a small role in compatibility but the big focus (in my opinion) is temperament.

Not that I have experience with it, but I currently have 2 desexed girls and my next dog is very likely going to be a boy (likely to remain entire, at least for a few years) :)

My breeder keeps multiple entire girls and only a single entire boy at a time. She never has any problems.

I have 2 males and 1 female. No issues at all though one of the males is often challenged by the bitch. It is actually difficult to pick the alpha between the two. The other male just goes with the flow.

Edited by ~Anne~

3 males, 2 females (was 3 til recently)

all my boys are desexed, but one just recently.

he gets cross with one of the other boys when his sister is in season, but otherwise they're fine - having said that, I just looked over and those 2 guys are lying together on the bed next to me!! :laugh:

my boy who's been desexed 9+ years is painful when the girls are in season

the one who's just been done couldn't care less!! go figure.

the girls don't get along at all - hate the sight of each other, have had stitches!! :eek: they're both entire & I won't keep bitches together again :mad

Picking a suitable temperament to match those you already have and also how you manage the dogs can affect how they get along, don't just leave them to sort it out themselves (a friend tried this and ended up having to keep the 2 males separate for the last few years of the older dogs life)

Im working on adding a third one to our family also :D

presently we a male and female, Mother and son.(both desexed)

I don't think its going to make much of a difference what sex we get next? but am reading this thread for opinions as well.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs