How Dd You Convince Your Oh To Get Another Dog?

Atanquin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said "There is a rescue dog coming for a sleepover this weekend, we won't keep him ,it is just to help out the rescue" Alfie was a Daddy's boy from day 1 and did the rest. Turned his big brown eyes on OH and followed him round all weekend,there was no question he would be coming back to stay. We had the added bonus of a great rescue who matches not only to suit current dog but also to hubbies :laugh:

OH suggested we get another dog...mind you, this was while we were still waiting for Wilbur to be old enough to come to us :laugh: I said yes, but with two conditions. The first being that i wanted to be home for the puppy like I am for Wilbur while he's growing up and 2nd was that OH wouldn't get the Toyota sedan he'd been wanting to get...I said we'd need a bigger vehicle that would fit two large breed dogs. He started looking at Nissan X-trails that day :eek: When that happened i knew he was serious and said that i'd like to wait between 1-2 years before i'd be ready for another pup...he was agreeable :laugh:

What still puzzles me is that, while OH likes dogs and falls in love with our dogs, he's not really a dog person. I don't think he would have ever gotten a dog except for me, prior to marriage, saying that 'i do' comes with the understanding i will always have a dog.

OH suggested we get another dog...mind you, this was while we were still waiting for Wilbur to be old enough to come to us :laugh: I said yes, but with two conditions. The first being that i wanted to be home for the puppy like I am for Wilbur while he's growing up and 2nd was that OH wouldn't get the Toyota sedan he'd been wanting to get...I said we'd need a bigger vehicle that would fit two large breed dogs. He started looking at Nissan X-trails that day :eek: When that happened i knew he was serious and said that i'd like to wait between 1-2 years before i'd be ready for another pup...he was agreeable :laugh:

What still puzzles me is that, while OH likes dogs and falls in love with our dogs, he's not really a dog person. I don't think he would have ever gotten a dog except for me, prior to marriage, saying that 'i do' comes with the understanding i will always have a dog.

The most important pre-nup ever :thumbsup:

Sally just kind of.. foster failed (she actually failed prey drive testing).

I put off having her PTS for months.. and then one day noticed I was buying stuff for her, too. I think the matching name tags for Kiff and Sally was when the OH finally noticed but by then, she was part of the family anyway and I doubt he would've wanted to see her PTS.

He's already agreed on the next dog, although I'm still undecided on what I actually want (borzoi suck me in but then I think of all the grooming >.> ).

Sounds like he wanted an excuse for getting a bigger car! :laugh:

I've never had to convince my OH, he just seems to go with the flow, bless him ;)

He's so into the whole showing thing now that when we made the decision not to breed our bitch the first thing he asked me was, 'where are we get our new girl from?'

He's a good boy :laugh:

we lived with another dog for around 2 years... when she passed and we left perth, it was obvious spider was a bit down in the dumps and lonely despite me being home all day... queue discussions.... and oh look i found a pup on the pound site isn't she cute. we should go see them..... pound pup came home. :)

MrB, wonderful as he is, has a “one human per dog” rule! Every evening he announces “Every dog to their human please” and the kids sprint off to their relevant human and we each cuddle our own dog!

He is not very open to another one as he keeps saying that it won’t have its own human and will drift around somewhere!

And he won’t agree to anything but a golden! Not ever! He is a very committed Golden man! I adore the breed but MrB is a nutter when it comes to Goldens! :laugh:

We discussed whether it would be worthwhile having a second, so my OH could have one to train and to keep Monte company whilst we were at work... We finally decided to get another one after much discussion over a couple of months, rang a breeder who had a black boy available only to be told they had a girl available instead (which was our initial preference), hung up told my OH, rang back and said we'll be there tomorrow.

And now we are a two dog household! Monte is clearly mine, and Ivy is smitten with my OH. In saying that, I do all the training, I pay for all vet costs and for toys etc. My OH contributes to the food bills.. So you need to ensure that you both want two dogs..

We were at AWL, just having a look around after we dropped off some dog treats. I met my beautiful puppy and said to my husband 'so... what are we going to name him?'

My husband is a sweetheart, and he's not very good at saying no to me :)

My OH is the one who wants another dog - I'm more of a 1 dog person, but I did want a cat. My OH is very much a dog person (although initially he wasn't keen on the idea of a doberman - he now thinks they're the best breed around) but he was very anti cat.

Well one day I came home with a tonkinese. Dan lectured me non-stop for a while (about buying a pet without his input etc), which wasn't fun but then decided that actually he really likes the cat mentality. He now loves the way the cat takes what he wants, demands his food and stalks around like a mini-panther and to top it off, the cat has decided Dan is his person and follows him around adoringly. These days, Dan says he and the cat have an understanding and he's so happy that he finally has 'his' pet. It's gone so far that Dan says if we ever break up, he's taking the cat...

I think in my case, I knew what pets I wanted and I needed to find a human partner who would just accept that (and in fact love my animals).

It's going to be different depending on your partner, but if you think he'll eventually come around and you're confident in your choice of dog, I would just bring the dog home one day and focus on the good points.