Breeder Not Happy With My Questions

Roova

Way too many questions, too personal and repetative. A lot of that (hip scores, health testing, performance/show titles, breed club associations) you could find out on your own with a little research. The rest would be answered by meeting the dogs and the breeder.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I agree with everyone else, that list is uber scary!

I do not mind answering copious questions, but some of them are so, well, open......Why do you breed? What else would someone say but to better the breed? I doubt anyone is going to admit to breeding for profit, or breeding because they love puppy breath?

Try again, grovel a little, I am sure you can repair the relationship despite its "newness"

Thanks everyone, I've gone through the questions and chopped a lot out. Assuming I'm chatting with a breeder do you think these questions are ok? I obviously wouldnt be reading them out like a robot but chatting about them. Does anyone ask anything of a potential breeder not here that I should be asking?

I'm paranoid about buying from someone who has litters for the purpose of sale only. I really want to buy from someone who health checks (where necessary) and cares how their puppies are raised. The breeder is welcome to find out from me everything I can offer a puppy too!

Are you a member of any Clubs?

What do you like about the **?

Have the parents had any health checks/scoring?

What is the temperament of the parents?

Have the parents been shown?

Have the parents had a litter together before?

How are the puppies raised? (Outside, inside, combination?)

Will they have seen other animals, eg cats, chooks etc

What age is the puppy released to its new owner?

How much is the puppy? Is a deposit required?

What documents come with the puppy?

Registration (main / limited)?

Vaccination?

Microchip?

Pedigree?

Is there a vet check of the puppy before release?

If kept crated/penned is there a separate area for toileting, ie do they go on grass / paper?

Are they currently playing with kongs or chew toys?

Edited by Roova

Sorry but I think you still have some irrelevant questions in there - why on earth do you need to know what toys they play with???

The most important things to know are whether the parents/puppies are healthy and if the parents have stable temperaments. If you want to show a dog then you'll need a show quality dog. It is also good to ask if the dog is microchipped and housetrained.

Why are you asking about chooks? Not many people have chooks and if you do and also plan on having the dog in the same area, many dogs will kill chickens, even in play. You can't expect everyone who is selling a puppy or a dog to be able to address every minute concern or eventuality that may come up during the dog's life.

I'm also not sure what you mean about not wanting to buy from people who have litters for sale only - surely breeders are breeding a litter of puppies for sale to new owners? You wouldn't want to breed and keep all your puppies surely? Maybe you are meaning you want them to be rehoming them for show purposes?

If someone asked me some of these questions about a rescue dog that I had living with me, I'd turn them down too because there is a huge risk my dog would be living a very challenging life with an owner who was obsessed with their every movement and I'd be concerned that if they made a "mistake" in the owner's eyes, there'd be consequences for the dog and the person who placed them in the home.

Edited by dogmad

Have an actual conversation to the breeder about what you want and see if they can accomodate you.

Does the breeder know anything about you yet?

I always start my communications telling a bit about myself and my situation.

Stuff I include would be

my experience with the breed, or similar breeds

my current dog and what I do with her

my plans for the puppy

a bit about my living situation, couple, no children, work from home.

There are much subtler ways of getting the answers to all your questions once you build up a bit of rapport.

Edited by Esky the husky

Why are you asking about chooks? Not many people have chooks and if you do and also plan on having the dog in the same area, many dogs will kill chickens, even in play. You can't expect everyone who is selling a puppy or a dog to be able to address every minute concern or eventuality that may come up during the dog's life.

I like to know if breeders have other animals. It certainly makes life easier knowing they've been raised with them (plus kids).

I would however, omitthe part about being a Club member - a lot of breeders aren't for political reasons and it doesn't make them any less ethical. You just need to know that they are registered with the states canine council.

Are you a member of any Clubs? Don't ask

What do you like about the **? Don't ask

Have the parents had any health checks/scoring? Ask

What is the temperament of the parents? Ask

Have the parents been shown? not relevant for me - I know breeders who breed perfectly healthy puppies who don't show for their own reasons - it's a plus but I wouldn't discount a breeder for not showing.

Have the parents had a litter together before? Don't ask

How are the puppies raised? (Outside, inside, combination?) Ask

Will they have seen other animals, eg cats, chooks etc Ask

What age is the puppy released to its new owner? Ask, but not necessary in first questions they will offer this information/you can ask later on in correspondence just keep to the basics to begin with

How much is the puppy? Is a deposit required? Don't ask straight away

What documents come with the puppy?

Registration (main / limited)? Ask

Vaccination? Ask but in next lot of communication, chances are pup will receive all necessary shots/chip

Microchip?

Pedigree?

Is there a vet check of the puppy before release? Ask

If kept crated/penned is there a separate area for toileting, ie do they go on grass / paper? Don't ask - but find out if raised indoors or outdoors - used to being crated if this is what you will continue with

Are they currently playing with kongs or chew toys? Irrelevant, don't ask

Edited by Clyde

I'd scrap the formal questions and go with phone calls to each breeder. You'd be surprised what you learn and find out in a phone call and what people will let slip, it works both ways. By all means have your checklist there and tick things off as you go along.

What Pav said. I'm not surprised the first breeder said see ya later but as clyde said, good on you for putting so much thought into it.

This is not the Spanish inquisition. As a breeder what I am looking for initially is if i 'click' with potential owners. If i dont they wont be getting a puppy as I want owners who will keep in touch with me and have a good r/ship with me. Of course I will answer their questions and have plenty to ask myself, but initially i just want to get a feel for what they are like as people.

Try using basic social skills. Introduce yourself, tell the breeder a little bit about yourself and your previous dog experience. Try telling her why you want a puppy of this breed, do you want the dog for pet/show do you plan to do obedience/dog sports etc. Maybe ask what kind of homes she looks for for her puppies and when she may have pups available. If you have a preference for sex/colour in a pup i would mention that too.

Try asking what questions she might have of YOU as a potential owner of one of her puppies. If you currently have a dog attach a pic of it to your email.

If the breeder responds to your email then start from there. 50 questions is not the way to go. Get to know the breeder and make conversation, you will soon have the answers to your questions.

Good on you for putting so much thought into it. I'd answer your questions, but then that's just me :)

I would probably roll my eyes at the list to start with, but would remind myself that breeders have been trying to steer people away from BYBs etc by telling potential puppy buyers to ask lots of questions. It seems, from a few such threads, that collectively (responsible breeders, rescue, etc) we encourage people to put thought into buying a pup but then berate or ignore them because they ask a few too many questions, or what we consider to be the wrong ones. :o It's a bit of a balancing act.

I agree that many of these questions could be asked and answered in later phone contact, however it also wouldn't be that hard for the breeder to state that in a brief reply to said email.

I would suggest, like others have, that you include a bit more information about yourself and what you are hoping to do with a pup - that way the breeder has a bit of insight into you before they proceed to tell their own life story. ;)

Edited by The Ark

I can't tell you what an eye opener this has been for me. I'm new to buying a purebred puppy having been like any other, dare I say ignorant, backyard dog owners in the past where I would have bought from any old ad. with no idea of what might happen healthwise in the future.

I really thought everyone was asking these types of questions and I didn't want to appear like I'd put no thought in to a new puppy. I appreciate you being so specific Clyde. As I said earlier I always ring to chat with the breeder so they can ask me questions too. I've spoken to more than one breeder and all but the last lady were happy to answer my questions - probably seeing them in a list does take the human interaction or humour part out of it!

Why are you asking about chooks?

The questions was 'will they have seen other animals, eg chooks,cats. I thought it would be sensible to know if the puppies were exposed to other animals outside of their litter mates. A puppies reaction to something strange or different I thought would show whether they were timid or confident. Also I have chooks!

I'm also not sure what you mean about not wanting to buy from people who have litters for sale only

I meant someone breeding for profit only.

If someone asked me some of these questions about a rescue dog that I had living with me, I'd turn them down too because there is a huge risk my dog would be living a very challenging life with an owner who was obsessed with their every movement and I'd be concerned that if they made a "mistake" in the owner's eyes, there'd be consequences for the dog and the person who placed them in the home.

Fairly big assumption there! Your pooch would miss out on a childless couple with lots of love and time to give to their pets, living on a massive block who just want to be careful they're not buying of a less than reputable breeder.

Fairly big assumption there! Your pooch would miss out on a childless couple with lots of love and time to give to their pets, living on a massive block who just want to be careful they're not buying of a less than reputable breeder.

I'd include that information :)

As mentioned I do!

I always phone first so I can talk with the breeder, tell them what I have to offer, and they can ask me questions too. Its the questions I've been asking the breeder I needed help with. :)

As mentioned I do!

I always phone first so I can talk with the breeder, tell them what I have to offer, and they can ask me questions too. Its the questions I've been asking the breeder I needed help with. :)

Sorry I must have misread your initial post - you have already made phone contact before sending this list? If so, I don't see that there is a problem at all - the breeder is free to answer the ones they wish to and leave the ones they feel are too invasive (for some reason or other). :)

Clyde is spot on - you just don't need to ask some of those questions straight up and frankly I would think your a bit weird :)

Although if you were buying a puppy from me be prepared for an inquisition :laugh:;)

Seriously, at least it shows you are trying to do the right thing and better than the "I want to buy a puppy, how much do they cost approach" :eek:

Edited by hilaryo

Clyde is spot on - you just don't need to ask some of those questions straight up and frankly I would think your a bit weird :)

:rofl:

Sorry Roova but I was thinking 'far out if I was a breeder and sold this person a puppy she'd probably be sending me war and peace size updates about the pup every week'

I think you've got to remember that if you're looking at a popular breed, the breeders you'll be contacting might be getting stacks of email enquiries so lengthy emails might get sent to the bottom of the queue. I would do it this way

Hi my name is bla bla bla give a short intro about you, no kids, big fenced yard, interested in the breed because

then ask if there's a suitable time to call breeder for a chat. Keep your email short and to the point.

The first question I'd ask is "How much?" I know that's not a popular question with breeders but if the cost is too high, there really isn't any point asking anything else. I wouldn't want to waste my time and energy investigating a breed and whether it's suitable for me, only to discover it's out of my budget. I did that once (with French Bulldogs)....spent a few weeks researching them, reading websites, profiles, looking at photos, learning as much as I could about them, then finally started contacting breeders with an initial introductory email. I finally had one respond to me and rang her, only to find the price was way above what I'd budgeted for a puppy, so all that time and energy (and emotion) was wasted.

If breeders aren't happy with being asked how much their puppies are, they should put the price on their website or in their ads.

Edited by GayleK

Thanks everyone, I've gone through the questions and chopped a lot out. Assuming I'm chatting with a breeder do you think these questions are ok? I obviously wouldnt be reading them out like a robot but chatting about them. Does anyone ask anything of a potential breeder not here that I should be asking?

I'm paranoid about buying from someone who has litters for the purpose of sale only. I really want to buy from someone who health checks (where necessary) and cares how their puppies are raised. The breeder is welcome to find out from me everything I can offer a puppy too!

These are not mutually exclusive.

In any case, how do you determine if a breeder has litters for the purpose of sale only.

And btw, it is impossible to do best by the breed if you do not have a litter to sell the puppies.

I mean that is just stupidity.

$40, 000 in import costs.

Don't sell any puppies.

Makes no sense.

If you dont know a lot about breeding, then you can't apply value based assessments, because basically you're telling the breeder how to suck eggs, when in actuality other than idealised theory, you don't know much.

That's okay, and its why puppy buyers go to breeders. But honestly, you have to leave your PC theories where you read them, because often they're written by people who have little idea also.

As you have experienced, idealised theories cause complications and impediments when there need not be any :)

What information are you trying to glean from this:

Have the parents had a litter together before?

Are they currently playing with kongs or chew toys?

and why are these questions important to you?

(this is what I would ask a puppy home if they asked me these questions.

The reply will tell me a bit about your ethos and your understanding of breeding.)

Edited by lilli