A Warning To Anyone Who Feeds Bones

huski

Oh, accidents can definitely happen, but now we've had this happen we simply won't feed any bones like that be hollowed out like that again. We'll keep feeding bones of course, but will take more caution in which ones we feed :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad your poor doggy is ok... it must have been very scary. :(

Bones not to feed include:

- CUT bones (like osso bucco)

- WEIGHT bearing bones (leg bones from beef animals)

- COOKED bones

NOTHING can ever be 100% safe, but following these guidelines makes feeding bones safer.

I've fed raw for years and also follow this rule. I do not feed weight bearing bones from any animal, even chicken drumsticks....no leg bones.

Glad the EB is ok.:thumbsup:

Poor Daisy. I'm quite weary of bones as a friend of ours lost a Staffy when a bone got lodged in it's throat. I like the big shank bones (not cut in half) as they are so big and the ends are soft enough to gnaw on.

Glad that Daisy is better; thank goodness you were home.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts :)

Just a little update, my poor little Beaj had to have a bath today as she was still covered in oil from her little "adventure" last night, she wasn't very impressed!

Aside from the indignity of having a bath after such a traumatic event she's doing well aside from a bit of soreness and swelling :)

post-13260-0-19602500-1319972396_thumb.jpg

I've seen pictures of dogs who have wedged kongs onto their face like that too. Nasty.

My dog busts bones including beef marrow bones, and then swallows the splinters and we get them back at about 3am. Not fun. So she doesn't get bones any more.

Haven't had any problem with deer antler - apart from I think she bled all over it one time. But she hasn't broken it up and there's been no splinters or 3am vomit sessions.

And raw chicken wings also come back to haunt us. So I just don't bother any more. Not worth it.

So glad Daisy is OK :)

Gave up on bones a while ago. :(

Bone wedged up between teeth on roof of mouth plus a couple of trips for compacted bone that needed enemas and hooking out by the vet.

As someone else mentioned, the safest beef bones are marrow bones but very high in fat and they tend to bury these and dig them up later.

My dog busts bones including beef marrow bones, and then swallows the splinters and we get them back at about 3am. Not fun. So she doesn't get bones any more.

Yep, I forgot to mention the issue of vomit sessions - consisting of undigested bone fragments. Another major reason for me to stop feeding the bones my dog can break up. And I must agree, marrow bones are tasty and less likely for (some) dogs to splinter etc but the burying and digging up later when they are putrid? Not fun... :eek:

Glad Daisy is recovering well (on the couch of course :D)

never had a problem with bones but I never feed small sliced bits, they have no value and an osso bucco bone would choke my dogue. It's either bigger then their heads or small edibles.

OHs old rottweiler did that trick with a tin can ... he went bin raiding and firmly wedged an old dog food can on his bottom jaw, then waddled home with a mournful look like 'dad, fix it'. Big vet visit later :p

never had a problem with bones but I never feed small sliced bits, they have no value and an osso bucco bone would choke my dogue. It's either bigger then their heads or small edibles.

OHs old rottweiler did that trick with a tin can ... he went bin raiding and firmly wedged an old dog food can on his bottom jaw, then waddled home with a mournful look like 'dad, fix it'. Big vet visit later :p

The 'bigger than their head' rule works well here too. Whole shanks, dinosaur bones and whole brisket bones and no dramas.

I love the tin can story .... the joys of dog ownership :laugh:

Souff