Long Rant About A Scary Guy At An On Leash Oval

lovemesideways

I have a delightfully crazy 13 week old GSD puppy who is a furry demon that is learning slowly how to be the best dog ever (I can dream right? :D) One of the things I do with him is taking him out to anywhere and everywhere, and he is never off leash. By this I mean that he is either on a normal short leash, or he is wearing a harness and a long line (10 meters long to be exact!).

Earlier today I took him to a nearby oval, attached the long line to his harness and off we went. I generally have the end of the line attached to my leg while the rest just trails along the ground. The oval we were at has a fence alone 2 and a 1/2 sides, 1 is a higher fence used for cricket or baseball that goes around corner (very similar to this http://www.steelcofence.com/Images/BallfieldFence/Baseball%20Backstop%206.JPG) and the other is to block the side of the oval where it drops off because there is a walking track that goes down and around the side.

Roscoe and I were playing a awesome game and having a great time when I notice a very energetic boxer mix come racing along the outside of the higher fencing. Its on the opposite side of the oval to where we were playing around so I didn't really mind. Roscoe saw him, stopped for a moment to have a look and then went straight back to the much more interesting game of chase mum around for treats ;)! (yay!)

There was a guy behind the BoxerX with his younger son, they where playing with a ball and totally ignoring the dog. Then the BoxerX spotted Roscoe. and started running along the fence keeping his eye on us, he came to where the fence stopped, slipped under the log divider and started running straight at us.

Now I don't care what dog, what breed, age, sex, whatever. I do not want anything or anyone running up to my puppy without permission. Not only is it unsafe, its also detrimental to the training I am doing. I yelled out to the guy "Call your dog!" he looked over and went back to playing with his son. Yelled again "Mate, Call you dog!" whilst stepping on the long lone closest to roscoe. Guy does nothing, BoxerX kept coming so I growled and stomped my feet at it with a loud "AH Go away!", all the while shoveling treats into roscoes mouth. The boxer stopped but continued to stare at the puppy with very over the top body posture (Tail totally straight, hackles fully up, leaning forward, head up, mouth closed and eyes fixated on Roscoe). Started to circle me to get to where roscoe was mostly behind me. I followed him, and when he tried approaching again did the same thing. Growled and yelled at him.

Guy finally seems to notice and come walking over with a pissed off expression on his face. Whistles for his dog who trots towards him then turns around and continues to stare at Roscoe. Then he starts having a go at me for yelling at his dog/ "Look lady don't you yell at my dog, he ain't doin' nothin', he just wants to give your puppy a sniff!"

I responded that I had asked him to call his dog, I was training my puppy and I don't want him approaching other dogs or other dogs approaching him.

Guy says "Thats stupid my dog is fine he just wants to sniff, you shouldn't be yelling at dogs you don't know or they might bite you and your mutt!"

Still trying to be polite since really I just wanted to go back to training my dog, I told him that it doesn't matter how friendly his dog was, I don't want my puppy being approached by dogs I don't know. This is a on leash area and if he could just clip a lead on his dog and move to the other end of the oval I would appreciate it.

Then he got mad, started swearing at me to "mind your own f-ing business lady, your puppy isn't even on a leash so I couldn't say shit or do shit, I came here to throw a ball with my son an Bruiser (the boxerX) can do whatever the f- he wants. Go on Bruiser" and the dog started coming towards us again growling!

I growled back, stomped at it Again and yelled at it to go away. Then told the guy to keep his dog away from me and my puppy or I will be reporting him to the rangers and he starts hurling abuse at me.

"you can't do shit your puppy isn't even on a leash, i'll tell them he bit my son if you try anything and he'll be shot like the mutt he is" amongst a high level of swearing. This about a 13 week old gsd puppy who was sitting behind me still, happily chewing a piece of grass totally oblivious to what was happening.

By now this guy was actually starting to scare me, he was a big guy, his dog was acting in a way that to me said it didn't have good intentions, and I'm alone with a puppy in a deserted oval (though its next to a road with a few cars driving past). So I gathered up the long line and started trying to back off, but the boxer was circling us. SO I pulled out my phone and told the guy to call his dog I was going to send photos of it to the council rangers. Guy swore at me more but whistled for his dog, and I hurriedly made my way back to the car.

Roscoe didn't have any negative impact from the situation, which is my main concern, but it certainly freaked me out pretty good. So I'm not sure if I should actually email the council and report this guy? His dog didn't do anything, and neither did he (except for screaming at me) but it was pretty scary. And it was all in a on leash area and he had no lead or collar on his dog at all. Plus this is a oval I frequent a lot and I really don't want to come across this guy again.

And is a long line still considered a leash?

Should I just leave it? sigh, wish dickheads didn't ruin it for the rest of us.

(Edit for spelling and grammar cause I'm still a bit freaked out and thats my excuse for sucking at typing. ;))

Edited by lovemesideways

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd report too. That is scary, especially when the dog + owner both appear unpredictable. If he's going to swear and carry on like a fruit loop, and threaten you(and seemingly in front of his SON, it's lucky you and your puppy were unharmed!

I'd say a long line is still classed as leashing - You still have the ability to restrict the line to a shorter length if need be, unlike if he was totally off leash.

Definitely kudos for keeping calm, I have no doubt that it would have been very hard to do.

EXACTLY the type of situation I was talking about in the other thread. Well done you for doing what you could to protect your pup (and the other dog really) from its stupid and rude owner (who theoretically could potentially be charged with assault if he was as threatening as you say). I would be calling the council to relate the incident. Tell them time of day, type of dog and what happened. They may not be able to do anything about this incident, but may increase their drive by's of the area for a little while. You may also want to ask them for clarification of what 'on lead' means and whether there are any specifications on the length of the lead 'so you know what you can use in this area' (without saying what you use at first). As far as I know, a long line is still classified as a lead and you were 100% in the right but it may pay to check

Edited by espinay2

Hi, I would report the guy to the council and give them your story. There were obvious signs that the dog has done it before and would do it again. These are the type of idiots that need to have rules reminded to them. Good luck to you and I'm glad your puppy did well. He would be my main concern.

You urgently need to report this incident to the police and the local council rangers.

This happened to a friend of mine, she just shrugged the original incident off, however a few weeks later she and her dog were assaulted by a person who had behaved like the person you are discribing, just a couple of weeks before. She had changed her time of day and everything, she is currently going thru an absolute nightmare with the person who assaulted her claiming he did it in self defence as her dog attacked him, she cannot prove the first incident happened as she made no official report.

That bloke talked about threatening to shoot your dog. We have gun laws & he's making a claim, under the threat, that he owns a gun.

I'd report the incident to the police. His extremely abusive & threatening behaviour (especially mentioning guns) makes me think that this bloke might already have form in police records.

That bloke talked about threatening to shoot your dog. We have gun laws & he's making a claim, under the threat, that he owns a gun.

I'd report the incident to the police. His extremely abusive & threatening behaviour (especially mentioning guns) makes me think that this bloke might already have form in police records.

This.

This.

The guy said he would report the GSD as biting his son and the GSD would be shot - he didn't say he would do the shooting.

Don't know where you are, but there is a leash length maximum here in Adelaide. I think it is no longer than a meter?

This is what I'm wondering, I'm in sydney and cannot find any info regarding leash length on the council websites.

This.

Just to clarify, He was more implying that Roscoe would be taken away and shot. Not that he would do it himself.

Edit: Snap Sandra! beat me too it.

Edited by lovemesideways

In my council leashes can be no longer than 120cm (2m) so if it were in my council you'd have been a bit naughty. I use longlines for my dogs but only at offleash parks as I don't want to risk a fine.

ETA: Nevermind, I was too slow! :laugh:

Edited by Mim

He said the dog would be shot. Enough to make me report it to the police.....that someone was mentioning shooting during an abusive rant, full of threats and intimidation. Including the fact that he said he's prepared to report a false dog attack incident. Police do not take kindly to people making false reports.

I'd be asking the police for reassurance and to record it.

Even tho' you had no objective witness, form might tell which of you is likely to be the more credible witness.

Edited by mita

As for the length of the leash - honestly I doubt this guy would have a clue about the legal length allowed (since he doesn't seem to own one :laugh:) so I wouldn't get too worried about that, Roscoe was on a leash, if the actual length of it wasn't quite right then that's a different story.

Don't know where you are, but there is a leash length maximum here in Adelaide. I think it is no longer than a meter?

I think many councils consider dogs not to be under effective control on a long lead, but really if thats the case its no where near as bad as the guys behaviour. Report it to the police and the rangers

My only concern is if you run into him again, will that cause issues, I hate to say this but maybe you should change where you take your pup at least for the short term.