Prefix Withdrawn

Sir Sniffalot

Just got a letter from Dogs Vic to say they are withdrawing my prefix l registered almost 6 months ago. Apparently a member has seen it in the gazette and objected that it is too similar to theirs, l now need to submit 5 new choices as they were all demeed not suitable return pedigree's for the litter which has been rehomed and they will not register my current litter if l object.

Has this happened to anyone before ? Does the National Prefix Register not screen for these similarities before they issue prefixes because they sure took their time issuing mine ? :mad

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep not too happy besides the fact l have to try get peds back l can't register this litter with two puppies heading off to show homes if l object.

Plus l need to change my website, signwriting on my dog trailer, my email address everything that has this prefix on it.

l have found out what the other prefix is we have the same start to our prefix and the same breed, the other people don't breed, don't have a website they just show dogs for other people.

doesn't really matter what they do, they still had their prefix first, it's not their fault. I too would have and will complain if someone else gets a very similar prefix to mine in the future. But the blame will be fairly and squarely laid at the feet of the governing body who can't seem to get their act together and do their job properly.

I knew someone nearly 20 years ago that complained about a prefix being issued that was nearly identical to theirs, nothing was done in their case.

After speaking with Dogs Vic the prefix fits the criteria and they have no problem with it, it's just that another member has complained that as we have the same breed and both our prefixes start with the same four letters that we may be confused. The withdrawn has been made on the grounds a compaint was lodged.

In border terriers, there is a kennel called Glenboyd and a kennel called Glenbogle. One is in NSW and one in Vic, but I still have many people talk to me confused between these two breeders. If I complained now, does that mean that they'd have change all their paperwork? I think not.

The regulations for registration of a Prefix are printed below.

Unfortunately having to wait for prefixes being printed in the gazette (some months later) for someone to object may be a contributing factor to the delay in someone objecting to the prefix granted.

REGULATIONS FOR THE CONDUCT OF THE NATIONAL PREFIX REGISTER

1. Each ANKC Ltd Member Body shall receive applications for registration of prefixes,

from members residing in the State or Territory under their control, and shall forward

them to the National Prefix Registrar for processing.

2. The National Prefix Registrar shall deal only with the ANKC Ltd Member Body and

shall not enter into discussion, or correspondence with any person without the

express approval of the Member Body through which the application was lodged.

3. The applications shall be submitted on the prescribed form, and shall include two (2)

alternative selections of names in order of preference.

4. A prefix name application is accepted by the National Prefix Register subject to

renewal annually, in the State or Territory in which it is registered.

5. An annual maintenance fee shall be charged for all “prefix” on file in the National

Prefix Register as at 31st March each year, or such other time as resolved by the

National Prefix Registrar. The fee shall be as prescribed by the ANKC Ltd

Conference from time to time.

6. A prefix which remains in the Register, and is shown as unfinancial for five (5)

consecutive years, shall be transferred to an “inactive file” for a further period of five

(5) years, after which time the prefix will be eligible to be reallocated as a prefix.

(10/00)

(Note - The animal registration system requires that where progeny have been

registered bearing the prefix in their name it is essential the prefix not be purged from

the file.)

7. A Prefix name shall:

(a) be limited to one (1) word consisting of not less than four (4) letters and not

more than twelve (12) letters; (03/10)

(b) not include numbers, whether in numerals or words;

© not include apostrophes, hyphens, or punctuation marks of any kind, however

no restrictions shall be placed on the use of the words “von” or “vom”.

(d) not include names that are misleading as to sex, or relationship, or any word

which may be considered offensive including Surname/First Name, Common

Dog Name eg: Celtic – Phoenix. (01/06)

(e) not be identical to, or similar in spelling, or phonetically, to a prefix name

already registered, which could be deemed to cause misunderstanding, or

confusion. Wherever possible, prefix registered with Canine Controlling

Bodies overseas shall be protected.

(f) not include the name of any breed of dog. (10/00)

8. A prefix name, once accepted and registered shall not be altered, or amended in any

manner whatsoever. The name may be cancelled and a new name submitted,

however, the new name shall be deemed to be a new application, and processed as

such.

9. Where a prefix is jointly owned by persons residing in more than one (1) State and/or

Territory, the use of the prefix in each of the States and/or Territories in which the joint

owners reside is permissible without transfer, providing the prefix name is registered,

and maintained, in each State and/or Territory in which the prefix name is to be used.

The registration procedures in each State or Territory in which the prefix is to be used

shall apply for all registration purposes.

10. Appeals

Where an objection is raised to the registration of a prefix name, the objection must

be in writing, and lodged with the ANKC Ltd Member Body in the state or Territory in

which the objector resides.

(a) Where an objection is raised to a prefix registered with the ANKC Ltd Member

Body in the State or Territory in which the objector resides - the objection shall

be considered by that Member Body, and the decision of that Member Body

shall be final.

(b) Where an objection is raised to a prefix registered with the ANKC Ltd Member

Body in another State or Territory to that in which the objector resides - the

objection shall be referred to the National Prefix Registrar who shall consider

the objection and decide what action, if any, be taken.

© Where a Member Body is unwilling to accept the decision of the Registrar, the

Member Body may lodge an appeal with the ANKC Ltd Administrator for

consideration by Delegates at the next ANKC Ltd Conference. The decision

of the ANKC Ltd Conference shall be final and binding on all parties.

11. The applications may be submitted by mail, or fax to expedite delivery, and notification

of acceptance or rejection shall be returned, wherever possible, within seven (7) days

from the date of receipt.

12. The National Prefix Registrar shall, wherever possible, ensure that the person in

control of the Prefix Register is conversant with Prefix names, to ensure the integrity

of the file is maintained.

13. A membership may only register one Prefix for a particular breed of dog, but that

Prefix may be used by the membership for other breeds. (05/02)

When the other people applied for their prefix first, was it for the same breed as they have now and have they bred any of that breed under their prefix? I only ask because when I applied for my prefix, I put down English Setters as the breed, however my first litter is Weimaraners. If the ANKC didn't know that the people with the original prefix had the same breed, the ANKC might not have checked the breed when you applied for yours. If that is part of the basis for the withdrawal (same breed) you might have more grounds for appeal.

I know of a person who bought a puppy they received a letter when he was around 6 months of age saying that the breeder was having to change their prefix and if they returned his papers they would be issued a new certificate with the new prefix on it.

The reasons stated were the same as yours.

l have found out what the other prefix is we have the same start to our prefix and the same breed, the other people don't breed, don't have a website they just show dogs for other people.

I know of a number of "same breeds" that start or end with the same first three letters. I can think of two that are very similar, have been around for years and one is exceedingly sucessful in the showring while the other is not.

I guess it is all a matter of whether anyone complains (as in your case) or not. :(

I know I didn't get my first choice as it is very similar to another prefix.

You have every right to be annoyed.

After pondering this overnight the similarities are very obvious l just didn't see the issue and feel if it was a issue something could have been said earlier not waiting over 5 months

Both prefixes start with Bally...........

Same breed

Same state

and we both have the same lastname

The other party is concerned we may be confused, l dont know but l'd say even if my prefix is changed we may still be confused our first names are similar too.

After pondering this overnight the similarities are very obvious l just didn't see the issue and feel if it was a issue something could have been said earlier not waiting over 5 months

Both prefixes start with Bally...........

Same breed

Same state

and we both have the same lastname

The other party is concerned we may be confused, l dont know but l'd say even if my prefix is changed we may still be confused our first names are similar too.

Really, I'm surprised it got through with such glaringly obvious similarities.