2 Rottweilers Die On Spirit Of Tasmania

gillbear

TWO prized rottweilers have died travelling on the Spirit of Tasmania.

The dogs, Dharma and Trek, were Australian herding champions and were travelling to Tasmania with their owner, Christine White, to attend a herding show in Hobart.

Early tests indicate the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of fumes from cars aboard the ship.

The rottweilers were sleeping in Ms White's car when they died.

"It is very common for pets to sleep in their owners' cars during the trip," Ms White said.

"The ship does provide kennels but the dogs are able to stretch out more when they stay in the car. We have never had any problems with this system before."

Ms Whitehad been told by cruise staff that her car needed to be moved to a higher level of the ship, away from the area normally reserved for animals aboard the ship.

"I protested when they told us theyd be moving the dogs to a different part of the ship, but they (the staff ) just kept telling us 'itll be fine, itll be fine'," White said.

"I have travelled with our dogs on the Spirit of Tasmania twice before, and we have never had any problems, so I trusted what they were telling me."

At 6.30am on Saturday, Ms White returned to her car to find both dogs had died during the night.

"I am absolutely devastated," she said.

"I have raised these dogs since they were born, and nothing will replace what I have lost."

There were no signs of struggle from either of the dogs and vets believe they would have simply fallen asleep during the night.

A third dog in the car, Phoenix, survived the trip and has since returned to Melbourne on a plane with Ms White.

Dharma and Trek were champion herding dogs. Their father, Polo, is well known for his role as Kujo on the hit series, Kath and Kim.

The Herald Sun is awaiting comment from the Spirit of Tasmania.

Edited by gillbear

Dharma an Trekki were wonderful ambassadors of our breed. They were a credit to their breeders Rakaaz Rottweilers and Sandzena Rottweilers and also to their wonderful owners Chris and Tony White.

These dogs will be sadly missed by all who knew them.

Heartfelt sympathies to my friends Chris and Tony.

Dharma and Trekki, may you both run free at the rainbow bridge. You will be missed but never forgotten, your footprints touched the hearts of many. :cry:

Edited by TrinaJ

Dharma an Trekki were wonderful ambassadors of our breed. They were a credit to their breeders Rakaaz Rottweilers and Sandzena Rottweilers and also to their wonderful owners Chris and Tony White.

These dogs will be sadly missed by all who knew them.

Heartfelt sympathies to my friends Chris and Tony.

Dharma and Trekki, may you both run free at the rainbow bridge. You will be missed but never forgotten, your footprints touched the hearts of many. :cry:

Well said - lovely people and great dogs - I knew them from tracking. So very very sad.

That is awful! How devastating.

How could it happen, I thought once the cars were on board they wouldn't be running. Would there still have been fumes in the air?

This - how the heck could it happen especially as they clearly allow people into that area as well.

Absolutely devastating news. That is so so sad. So awful. Rest in peace doggies.

The ships crew should never of moved the car.

When I travelled on the ferry between the North and South Islands with our top winning Bulldog, I informed the Captain when we boarded with the car, that I had a dog on board(as did many as we were going to a big show down south) He let me check the dog every half an hour, which was absolutely awesome. As it is a secure area the crew down below were advised and it wasnt a problem.

Poor poor doggies.

On my way back I stayed with friends who had Frenchies and I offered to take one of their dogs back with me as he was going up to the North Island to be shown. They had organised him to travel with someone else(not doggie people) the week after, so we left it at that.

The Frenchie never arrived alive in the North Island. Sadly he died from heat exhaustion on the trip up.