What Is The Most Popular Colour In Your Breed?

Esky the husky

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think blue seems to be the most popular in rescue greyhounds.When I was with a rescue group the blue's were the most sought after.I have a blue boy(foster failure not for his colour)and a white girl.When I walk them everyone comments on my boy and my girl rarely gets a look in. :( .I personally love the brindles so many variations in the brindles.

I think Greys look impressive no matter the colour. I did see a very pale fawn colour that I thought was really lovely. And I'm not particularly partial to the blue as colours go. Personality tends to be the key for favourites.

Dorys only come in one colour, and it's pretty popular. :D

Dobermans are interesting, because they do come in blue but nobody likes it - I think because it just looks like a washed out black against their tan markings, and also because dilute in dobermans is heavily associated with poor coat.

Here is a link to a good page about doberman colours for anyone interested: doberman colours

Most popular would definitely be black and tan, but brown/red and tan is fairly popular these days too. The breeder of my dog never liked the red and tans, but now having seen my dog grow she thinks the next one she keeps will be a red and tan. We get a lot of compliments on his colours, so I have a feeling it's growing in popularity.

That said, if I get a second I want a black and tan to have the set lol

We show and breed Standard Poodles. For showing, black would be the most popular followed by white. As pets, most enquiries we get are for a good basic black. The fads with browns, apricot, red and silver come and go, most people still want black.

A few times we have dyed our white girl pink for modelling work and we have been asked where can they buy a pink poodle.

Finnish Lapphunds - most people who request a certain colour ask for brown and tan. However the biggest thing people want is the distinctive face markings regardless of colour. Black and tan is the most common given it is dominant. My Mum would like a lilac and tan :D

Kelpies - show ring seems to prefer chocolate although this is changing and there are dogs of most acceptable colours who have done well. Working lines it is red and tan although it annoys me when people say "red cloud" as if that colour is a different breed :p

Dobermans are interesting, because they do come in blue but nobody likes it - I think because it just looks like a washed out black against their tan markings, and also because dilute in dobermans is heavily associated with poor coat.

Here is a link to a good page about doberman colours for anyone interested: doberman colours

Most popular would definitely be black and tan, but brown/red and tan is fairly popular these days too. The breeder of my dog never liked the red and tans, but now having seen my dog grow she thinks the next one she keeps will be a red and tan. We get a lot of compliments on his colours, so I have a feeling it's growing in popularity.

That said, if I get a second I want a black and tan to have the set lol

Thanks for the link Jacqui. I'm with you I think the blue and fawn looks a bit washed out. I love the markings of the Doberman and they are not as easily seen in the paler coat colours. I would have to say the Black and tan are my favourite, they are very striking dogs!

GSPs - Liver, and Liver and White.

I really love all our colours and I LOVE my solid black girls. The only ones i'm not really fond of are the liver and white or black and white with very little to no roaning. Some show dogs i've seen may as well be pointers with a few spots (don't get me wrong - I like pointers but GSPs shouldn't look like one!!)

Having said that I have had a LOT of interest in the blacks in recent times and it seems to be growing. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing but I will never ever breed just for colour - my kids get homed based on temperament and personality and their new owners lifetsyle.

Italian greyhounds - def blue. Blue blue and more blue. Tho ppl are starting to want black or seal. I would LOVE a true black, but they arent easy to breed.

Oh... Seal Italians.... drool... But red and white is drop dead gorgeous too. :D

In my breed (borzoi) all colours are allowed. Athough in the FCI blue and chocolate are disallowed (dilute isn't really present in the breed worldwide apart from rare occasions).

So it comes down to personal preference really. Although I have seen some people be so taken with certain colours they will consider breeding etc just for that. White would be one, as it is very striking. But dark red seems to catch some attention as well.

We also see common misconceptions such as certain colours not being allowed etc, just because they aren't seen very often. Many people presume all borzoi should be white with coloured patches, yet they can be self black, tricolour, brindle, all red, all gold etc etc.

GSPs - Liver, and Liver and White.

I really love all our colours and I LOVE my solid black girls. The only ones i'm not really fond of are the liver and white or black and white with very little to no roaning. Some show dogs i've seen may as well be pointers with a few spots (don't get me wrong - I like pointers but GSPs shouldn't look like one!!)

Having said that I have had a LOT of interest in the blacks in recent times and it seems to be growing. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing but I will never ever breed just for colour - my kids get homed based on temperament and personality and their new owners lifetsyle.

I saw a stunning GSP at Inverell Show recently that was black with white spotting, is that roaning? It was just gorgeous and the lady who owned him said that the Judges were becoming more accepting of his colouring.

Edited by Ons

The most popular colours in Koolies are red and blue merle but they also come in dilute merles and solids and farmers often prefer the solids because they can be steadier workers. They also come in tri which is rather nice and a mix which looks like some types of blue cattle dog.

Ons - yep that is roaning. I would love a really nice B&W girl.....BUT - she'd have to be exactly what I wanted in every other way first - if she happened to be a really nice B&W well that would be a huge bonus!!

Once again just like alyosha said we get the misconception that black and black and white GSPs aren't 'real' GSPs or are somehow inferior because there aren't so many around in Australia yet - although they are getting there!!