Christmas And The People Who Foster The Most In Need

Little Catdog

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People on this forum donate all year around. People buying their own pets presents at Christmas does not make the present 'useless'.

Need a 'like' button for this :D

I donate what I can when I can to various rescues. I also buy my dogs Christmas presents. Buying presents for my dogs does not have any negative effect on what I donate to rescues, their presents are also not useless :shrug:

People on this forum donate all year around. People buying their own pets presents at Christmas does not make the present 'useless'.

Agreed.

I donate at various times throughout the year, both financially and a range of goods. I don't think spending money to make my own girl happy is 'useless'.

Edited to fix spelling

Edited by Brennan's Mum

Very well put Clyde, I typed a few responses and deleted them, I don't consider the things I buy my dogs at Christmas useless and I help my chosen rescues as much as I can whenever I can not just at Christmas. I think you would have to go a very long way to find a group of people who dig deeper than DOLers when the need arises, whether for rescues or another DOLer in need.

I buy my pets things at christmas and they are not useless.

I also donate to rescues and help out with donating food and lending various things to those who need it, like the crate and puppy pen I am dropping off to a lady tomorrow who has a dumped bitch and puppies coming into her care. I clip dogs for free for my friend who rescues and I donate food and treats. I am sorry but that post makes me a tad annoyed!

I agree with all these posts I think you are preaching to the wrong people. I donate to my local rescues and others. I don't see why our dogs aren't entitled to something special (not useless) just because our dogs are looked after by caring individuals. Grow up.

Christmas is one day out of 365 in the year (366 in a leap year). It would be important to remember that for some DOLers who do not celebrate Christmas, December 25 is just another day. Your post asking people to consider donating to canine foster carers at Christmas may have as much significance as if I were to urge you to consider these carers during Paryushana Parva. Foster carers and rescue organisations need all the help they can get all year round, not just in December.

We donate to a local dog rescue centre throughout the year. We give what we can when we can, not because it happens to be a particular religious holiday on the day we donate.

We also buy things for our dogs throughout the year. What do you define as useless? Are dog booties, doggles (dog sunglasses) and cool coats on that list? If so, perhaps it would be a wise thing to step back and consider that what you see as useless, others may consider as important for their dog. BTW boots, doggles and cool coats are important pieces of safety equipment for my dogs.

I am a relative newbie on this forum but in my short 14 months here, I have seen some jaw dropping generosity from DOLers. The DOL wheels spin pretty darn quickly when a fellow DOLer needs help. There is a band of dedicated foster carers on here too that could attest to that!

It might be worth looking further into the DOL world and you'll find an extensive community of dog lovers already doing what you suggested.

Edited by Dxenion

The "useless things" I buy for my dogs (all year around) tend to get shared with my fosters anyways... *grin*

I have an interesting concept for you Little Catdog... maybe you'd like to help out at your local shelter, pound, or rescue... maybe foster a dog yourself?

Many people here on DOL do that too... all year around.

T.

I don't consider anything I buy my dogs useless thank you very much and I donate enough to plenty as well. This sort of post certainly doesn't inspire me to rush out and donate.

Exactly. I dont appreciate being told by a stranger how to spend my money or that what I buy is useless. gimme gimme gimme. As Clyde said, people here donate all year round so the OP is just a total turnoff, especially at this time of year when people are winding down and looking forward to forgetting all the crap that's happened in the world in the last 12 months and having a bit of fun with their families. If that includes buying their dogs something that gets torn up in 4 minutes, big whoopdy do and goodluck to them.

eta I buy 'useless crap' from the local salvos for my dogs at xmas and that way I can feel like I'm helping out some poor person who cant even afford a can of Pal for xmas day let alone a dog.

Edited by raz

Little Catdog - Perhaps you should learn the concept that giving to charities is, for many, something that happens all year round and not just something people do at Christmas time so they feel they've 'done their bit with their $20 donation'.

I may only be a relatively new member here, but I've lurked for some time prior to joining. One of the reasons I joined? Because it's obvious from reading through posts, how wonderful and selfless DOLers are when coming to helping out others, and causes. Not just donating some cash at Christmas time, but helping out throughout the year, cash donations, and taking in many a foster pet.

Another reason why I joined? Because it's obvious that people on here love their dogs very much and there pets are like family to them. Would you deny your children presents at Christmas time because there are many children in poverty? People give gifts and toys to the ones they love.

I have donated to shelters both money and items of need for many years and I haven't even had a dog, I still don't. Not for another 2 weeks. Have I bought an absolute sh*tload of toys and items for my puppy? You're damn right I have but it doesn't mean that I've stopped remembering or giving to those who need it.

ETA Typo!

Edited by minimiss

I am another who donates all year round.I do transports and will be starting volunteer work at my local pound in the New Year.Have you been into the urgent rescues and looked at all the wonderful people who dedicate their time and money every day of the year?DOLers are incredibly generous and if they want to buy their own dog a doghouse in the Bahamas good luck to them.I agree with Perse maybe put an ad in the paper for those who don't know.

I'll buy as much useles stuff for my dogs as I like thanks :thumbsup: .

I donate all year round to different groups/charities, and have done all my adult life and there is nothing that turns me off more than people begging/guilting me into donating. That's not what it's about.

I'll buy as much useles stuff for my dogs as I like thanks :thumbsup: .

:thumbsup: I think I'll pop down to the local salvos this morning and see how much useless crap I can buy for my dogs and while I'm there, I'll see how much useless crap I can buy for our sponsored children OS

Hi all:

Instead of buying all sorts of useless things for your dogs at Christmas, how about donating some food or other necessary things to people who foster dogs?

Hi!

Instead, how about I decide where I spend and/or donate my own hard earned money. And maybe I want to do both...buy some (not useless) items for my dog family, and friends dogs too, in addition to making some donations. Kool? Thanx! :D

Edited by New Age Outlaw