• I dislike cats
    • I like cats but I like dogs better
    • I like dogs and cats equally
    • I like cats better than dogs

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat saliva on the other hand can kill - like a Komodo dragon their saliva is full of harmful bacteria. I know this first hand because I used to keep rats and the crazy thing was a tiny fang puncture from a cat was much more serious than a big wound by a dog. So long as they didn't die from the initial attack from the dog, they almost always recovered. If their flesh was broken by the cat's teeth, they needed antibiotics asap or they were as good as dead.

I'm sorry but what the heck! You kept rats and allowed dogs and cats to get close enough to harm them :( I kept rats years ago, there was no way my cats got close enough to give them a 'tiny fang puncture'!

Possibly this is because my family all like Sismese cats, which are known to be extra demanding and also very loud.

Yeah Siameses are like that :laugh: but its all part of their adorable charm :D

We love our cats as much as our cavs :)

They all have their moments, which is understandable, but they all get along with each other fairly well.

They all offer different things in their own little ways to enhance our lives.

Here's Leroy one of our 2 cats in the crate with the Cavs :D

post-11918-0-41787400-1323764093_thumb.jpg

I dislike cats after one scratched/bit me at work. My arm swelled up and took ages to heal.

Admittingly it was a ferral cat and we were trying to put it down at the time.

Before this, I had heard of cat injuries like this, but until experiencing it myself. OUCH!

My pet peeve with cats, is the owners who don't keep them confined to their property, allow them to wander the neighbourhood, poop and pee in neighbours gardens and fight outside windows at night. Or just move house and leave them behind, thinking the neighbour(hood) will take it on and look after it for you. Or thinking it is a cat, it can look after itself.

If you have an animal, no matter what it is, be responsible for it. Some animals require more responsibility than others. Each person to their own. If you choose to have a dog, there are responsibilities. If you have a cat, be bloody responsible for it too.

(I don't just have dogs: I also keep two turtles which are fully permitted and licensed.) I have minded cats and rescued cats in my previous job. I don't like them.)

I like my cat- but I'm not a 'cat person'

I don't really understand them. I like that I can take Esky out and we can go running together and racing.

I feel really bonded to her, i don't really 'get' how I'm supposed to bond to a cat :o

OH loves all animals so we'll probably always have a cat- but I don't think I could deal with more than one

meowwoof here :D I love dogs and cats, both for their own personality and such. You can lie down with a cat whenever you're feeling lazy, but you can go running with a dog when you need some excersise :D (Not saying all dogs and cats are like this! Just in this household)

I voted for both equally, they each have their positives and negatives.

I love the independence of cats which makes their love when they 'choose' to give it really special, but I also love the intense devotion you get form a dog, you are mates and a team.

I know my OH struggled with pup went we first got him, the noise, the lack of toileting skills, the general dirtiness and intensity compared with having two cats :laugh: he still always says "lucky our boy has such an awesome personality".

The cats were/are great because we can go away for a weekend and get the pet sitter to pop in for a a feeding and some cuddles and that is enough for them. Puppy on the other hand is a different story, so far he has always been able to come with us but in future when he can't we are very lucky to have dog loving and savvy friends and family we are comfortable letting him stay with.

We have three cats here: mountain lions, bobcats, and the domestic sort. I like the first two . . . not so fond of little cats.

Since this thread is on its last legs, I may as well ask an irrelevant question.

How dangerous are mountain lions and bobcats towards people and pets? Do they live in close proximity to built up areas? Thanks. :D

Do I like cats - definitely. At times I think they're better than dogs... at other times I think they're not.

As I get older I think I prefer cats but the thought of building a run or simialr to contain them doesn't excite me... so cats are now out of the question since my gorgeous Miss Molly passed.

Edited by ~Anne~

I love cats, but I love dogs more.

Its pobably because my current cat is so much more high maintenance than my dog. :eek:

She has always been noisy but now she is getting old, she NEVER shuts up.

I am not joking. All day all night... :cry:

I like the idea of getting another cat when she goes (she is 16 and intolerant of other cats), but I don't think I could risk another highly strung one. Still, I've had other less difficult cats so I know they can be such a pleasure.

We will see, I'm very easily swayed when it comes to animals, if my OH wasn't so firm about it I'd have a huge menagerie! :o

I love cats, but I love dogs more.

Its pobably because my current cat is so much more high maintenance than my dog. :eek:

She has always been noisy but now she is getting old, she NEVER shuts up.

I am not joking. All day all night... :cry:

I like the idea of getting another cat when she goes (she is 16 and intolerant of other cats), but I don't think I could risk another highly strung one. Still, I've had other less difficult cats so I know they can be such a pleasure.

We will see, I'm very easily swayed when it comes to animals, if my OH wasn't so firm about it I'd have a huge menagerie! :o

Do you think she might have dementia? There are some drugs that can help with this if you contact your vet. :)

What sort of cat do you have?

There are some pretty easy going purebreds you might want to look into if you were to get another cat. I hear the British Shorthair is a bit of a quiet, couch potato, but there are others as well, like Persians. Although, obviously there are differences in temperament within a breed as well, so you might have to be careful to pick the right cat! :laugh:

Do you think she might have dementia? There are some drugs that can help with this if you contact your vet. :)

What sort of cat do you have?

There are some pretty easy going purebreds you might want to look into if you were to get another cat. I hear the British Shorthair is a bit of a quiet, couch potato, but there are others as well, like Persians. Although, obviously there are differences in temperament within a breed as well, so you might have to be careful to pick the right cat! :laugh:

I agree with looking into different cat breeds my Maine Coon is amazing and even when he is chatty he only 'chirps' so it never annoying and it's so cute coming from such a big cat. Our rescue tabby on the other hand loves to let you know exactly what he thinks, hence one of his less flatering nicknames "Rory B Bellows" (Simpsons did it! :rofl: ).

I must be truthful and say I am not really that into cats But that being said in a houseful of 4 dogs my one cat Tiddles is an angel and my dogs adore her.

..We rescued her from death row and when we trained horses she became the stable cat ...she built up a re pore with our big full on thoroughbreds and all of them loved her .....she wandered in and out of the stables and never once did the horses step on her ...it was wonderful to see .

It became a mouse and rat free area as no rodent in its right mind would step foot in there so good was she.

Now a few years on and the stables empty since our retirement from racing she found the transition from stable to house very easy.

The dogs replace the horses as her first love and she always accompanies on out walks to the dam and across the paddocks.

Thinking about it ....she is very special and kind as her ability to adapt to any situation is amazing, also her patience with our rather clumsy and lively Golden pup was a sight to behold.:)

I love Cats, and have always been a cat person over a dog person (Don't shoot me lol) but my son was born severly allergic to cats so I had to rehome my two pedigree Ragdolls and Bengal - it was a very low point in my life, as at one point I had this gorgeous newborn that I had tried for 5 years for and did a very stressful IVF run. On the other I was losing my 3 furchildren that had been my own comfort during the years of infertlity and darkness. I tried for months to find a balance between them and isolated baby away from cats and vice versa but to no avail. His breathing worsened and we knew we could not have them both living together in harmony. I found fantastic homes for them via the help of a local rescue organisation and feel comforted that the two ragdolls (brothers from the same litter) went to a new home together. Still breaks my heart talking about it.

Our Shepherd is the new family addition to fill in the gap of an animalless household. I hope one day my son's allergies weaken enough that he can tolerate a cat as I would love another one day - not at the expense of his health though. Our little Sasha is a big enough handful for now :)