Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

Roo meat stinks IMO, I can't stand the smell of it, but that is all I have been able to smell in the rolls or RAW. There was nothing wrong with the products.

Been feeding VAN complete mix and roo meat for 7 months now.

I am lucky enough to have a local roo eradicator - he is a retired butcher and so he shoots and process the roos imediately. Which means when he brings it round to my freezer it is almost still hopping..... sometimes wonder if I need to put a brick on the lid of the freezer to prevent escapes. This roo mince has almost NO SMELL and happily have it in our kitchen fridge and prepare my dogs food on the kitchen bench with no aversion.

Had someone bring their dog to the kennel and he provided the food for his dogs prepacked roo meat (purchased thru commercial sellers). It was very stringy and smelly also seemed to have a lot of fat thru it. I mentioned this to my butcher as I couldn't believe the difference to this meat and the stuff he gave me. He said it is common for pet manufacturers to mix roo meat with either older cow or horse, this would explain stronger smell and more fat and gristle in the meat brought in.

The regulations for pet food are different to human consumption - So remember when buying roo meat - if it doesn't say 100% roo it might be roo mixed with horse or cow.... it may also depend on where the pet food company sources their roo meat.... if its not fresh it will have a stronger smell.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody tell me where the best online price is for the VAN complete mix for Puppies and the VAN complete mix for Adults?

I have had real trouble finding a local supplier for VAN (we are in Nth Suburbs of Melb) and have emailed VAN wondering why they cant have a better system of supply for Victoria - they are still working on it. When I have found a store with even a 5kg bag of VAN available it is full retail price but has been over in the eastern suburbs and too far to travel. Very frustrated as if I lived in NSW I could collect the goods from Stefmar for only $6.50 for the whole order.... Wish VAN could set up something like that in Victoria...... my last order was over $500 and would have been happy to drive down and collect from a depot.

I have been buying 3 or 4 x 15kg bags at a time online - which if I can find VAN thru any local store they usually only carry 1kg or a 5kg bag - Initially brought thru Greenpets which is the group on the VAN website, however they charge full retail price plus postage, so adds a fair bit to the cost.

Have found an online shop which sells the product for less but the postage is higher - although still cheaper than recommended retail. www.stefmar.com.au

example: Price for 15kg bag of Complete Mix

Greenpets QLD : $135.00 + postage to Victoria $18 - postage to Tasmania $40

Stefmar NSW : $118.57 - postage to Victoria $26.70 - postage to Tasmania $30.70

Hope this information helps.

Edited by alpha bet

VAN complete adults rock my world. One meal per day - Mix it with sardines in spring water, or minced chicken frames, sometimes with offal, and feed RMB for the second meal. This keeps 2 beagles with a nice trim waist, lovely glowing coat, and nice teeth. Well, mostly nice teeth, one beagle isn't so good at naming on bones.

Love VAN.

I buy it online at vetnpetdirect.com.au

Edited by SeeGee

Can anybody tell me where the best online price is for the VAN complete mix for Puppies and the VAN complete mix for Adults?

I have had real trouble finding a local supplier for VAN (we are in Nth Suburbs of Melb) and have emailed VAN wondering why they cant have a better system of supply for Victoria - they are still working on it. When I have found a store with even a 5kg bag of VAN available it is full retail price but has been over in the eastern suburbs and too far to travel. Very frustrated as if I lived in NSW I could collect the goods from Stefmar for only $6.50 for the whole order.... Wish VAN could set up something like that in Victoria...... my last order was over $500 and would have been happy to drive down and collect from a depot.

I have been buying 3 or 4 x 15kg bags at a time online - which if I can find VAN thru any local store they usually only carry 1kg or a 5kg bag - Initially brought thru Greenpets which is the group on the VAN website, however they charge full retail price plus postage, so adds a fair bit to the cost.

Have found an online shop which sells the product for less but the postage is higher - although still cheaper than recommended retail. www.stefmar.com.au

Is Castlemaine too far for you? We could organise for you to pick up as many 15kg bags as you need from Bruce's vet hospital.

Thanks VAN.

I saw on your website you have stopped puppy packs, do you think they will be being offered again in future? Was hoping to send all my pups home with one :)

Hi Rally Valley,

We are redesigning the puppy packs. I will PM you with some information :)

I put fresh human grade roo mince in my complete mix and don't smell a thing but both the Raw and Rolls have the same smell. Maybe its the roo meat?

I dont doubt there is anything wrong with the food as both the dogs ate it and I doubt 2 different products would be off but man it is a very very offensive smell!! Very different from the human grade fresh roo mince.

Hi Donatella,

I will bring this up with Bruce, however the raw and rolls are a bit more smellier than straight roo meat, as the grains have begun the germination process with the moisture from the roo, so the smell can be quite different. The adult varieties have green lipped mussel etc added as well, which has a strong smell. All combined it does make for a unique smell!

Thanks VAN.

I saw on your website you have stopped puppy packs, do you think they will be being offered again in future? Was hoping to send all my pups home with one :)

Hi Rally Valley,

Is Castlemaine too far for you? We could organise for you to pick up as many 15kg bags as you need from Bruce's vet hospital.

In the same situation as Alpha here, Castlemaine is not great in travel, its a 200km round trip, with today's petrol prices and an average of 10km per litre that's $30 in fuel. more expensive than postage from stefmar, would only be viable if the buying in bulk (2x15kg bags +)

Jack

We carry 15kg Adult and Sensitive Skin as regular lines in both the Keilor Park and Gisborne stores, plus 1kg and 5kg of all other dog varieties. Usually we have a couple on the stand, but we order weekly so it is easy to have stock waiting for anyone wanting several. Our prices are Vet's All Natural recommended retail prices, but bulk buys can be quoted on by request.

Feel free to contact me by pm for store details.

Phillipa

4Paws & More Pet Supplies

Thanks VAN.

Hi Rally Valley,

Could I please have some info PM'd to me as well- we are having litters at around the same time :)

We carry 15kg Adult and Sensitive Skin as regular lines in both the Keilor Park and Gisborne stores, plus 1kg and 5kg of all other dog varieties. Usually we have a couple on the stand, but we order weekly so it is easy to have stock waiting for anyone wanting several. Our prices are Vet's All Natural recommended retail prices, but bulk buys can be quoted on by request.

Feel free to contact me by pm for store details.

Phillipa

4Paws & More Pet Supplies

Hi Phillipa,

Thanks, I will be in contact this week sometime.

Jack

Thanks VAN.

Hi Rally Valley,

Could I please have some info PM'd to me as well- we are having litters at around the same time :)

Sent :)

I haven't read this complete thread, it's too big. I'm wondering if there's a "make your own" mix instructions for adult dogs in there somewhere?

I have 5 whippets, all mature, ranging in age from 8 to 14 years old. I would consider them all very healthy for their ages, none are overweight but the oldest girl is arthriticky now. I currently cook for them a mix of beef, chicken and fresh veggies and rice. They've done well on it but lately I've noticed some of them dont seem to be digesting the veggies as well as they used to so I'm thinking about starting them on raw.

I haven't read this complete thread, it's too big. I'm wondering if there's a "make your own" mix instructions for adult dogs in there somewhere?

I have 5 whippets, all mature, ranging in age from 8 to 14 years old. I would consider them all very healthy for their ages, none are overweight but the oldest girl is arthriticky now. I currently cook for them a mix of beef, chicken and fresh veggies and rice. They've done well on it but lately I've noticed some of them dont seem to be digesting the veggies as well as they used to so I'm thinking about starting them on raw.

Try the raw thread or a thread search , this is for the commercial VAN product.

Have you thought of just adding a supplement to your home cooked meals? VAN have a "health booster" for example that can be added to meals and there are other similar products out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering about whether or not I should be adding additional supplements to the complete health mix? Like fish oil for joints. Does the completely mix contain the same amount of things (technical term end of week) as the health booster. Eg would it be better to mix my own and add health booster or will I get the same benefit from just the complete mix with it already added?

Thank you.

I was wondering about whether or not I should be adding additional supplements to the complete health mix? Like fish oil for joints. Does the completely mix contain the same amount of things (technical term end of week) as the health booster. Eg would it be better to mix my own and add health booster or will I get the same benefit from just the complete mix with it already added?

Thank you.

Hi Dasiy.Tea, responded to your PM, but each 'life stage' Complete Mix has the appropriate supplements added. The Adult/Senior has our Joint Formula mixed in with it.

If the dog can't have any bones at all (medical reasons) what would you suggest for teeth cleaning with VAN? With kibble you get a bit of teeth polishing happening but not sure if this would be the case with VAN. Thanks