Dog Attack - Lyndhurst Vic

Pawprints

Dog's can be unpredictable and when passing dogs that I don't know or know of their behavioual history, I personally take a wide enough berth out of leash range so they can't get to me and bite which to me is just common sense? Why pass so close that a leashed dog can make contact. IMHO the lady who got bitten could have avoided that herself :confused:

Were not all as perfect as you mace......

Honestly, some people...

I hope your friend is ok and these idiots are found.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dog's can be unpredictable and when passing dogs that I don't know or know of their behavioual history, I personally take a wide enough berth out of leash range so they can't get to me and bite which to me is just common sense? Why pass so close that a leashed dog can make contact. IMHO the lady who got bitten could have avoided that herself :confused:

:banghead: :banghead: can't believe this post.

what she should have stepped out into the road maybe and got hit by a car instead :rolleyes: Not her fault at all but most certainly the fault of the dog and it's owners

Well God forbid if ever you get bitten. I don't think you will get much sympathy for not getting out of the way.

Poor poor woman, how awful :( I hope this doesn't affect her confidence in going for walks in her area because she feels unsafe.

I hope the offending couple and their dogs are found and punished. What kind of cruel people leave a bitten woman on the side of the road??? :mad

I hope your friend recovers quickly from her injuries.What dreadful people to not stop and offer help.When i walked my large dog i always moved aside for people passing. If they were walking a dog i would hold her collar just in case the other dog was not friendly..She was friendly and would just want to lick them but some people are afraid of dogs and don't want a strange dog trying to sniff or lick them.These people should have moved aside instead of taking up the whole footpath.A child would not know to not just walk past that dog.I hope they are found before anyone else is bitten.

Are you for real! I'm sorry that my friend didn't have the capacity in a split instance to calcualte the angle and extension of a dogs lead, taking into consideration the length of the owners arm and elasticity of the lead. :banghead:

That's what I do and have had my fair share of dogs lunge at me over the years in that type of situation. The point I am making is that you can't trust people will handle their dogs accordingly and take the initiative myself. It's too late to argue who is right or wrong if perhaps you had a child with you and half his/her face missing?

...and not every person has the fore knowledge to think of someone mishandling their dogs .. 3 dogs, 2 people, leashes .. walking around the block - what's to be of concern to joe public?

That's what I do and have had my fair share of dogs lunge at me over the years in that type of situation.

In all my years walking around city /suburban streets - with or without dogs , I can count on two hands the times I was attacked- and not one of them were dogs being walked onlead.

Maybe I'm just lucky ?

Are you for real! I'm sorry that my friend didn't have the capacity in a split instance to calcualte the angle and extension of a dogs lead, taking into consideration the length of the owners arm and elasticity of the lead. :banghead:

That's what I do and have had my fair share of dogs lunge at me over the years in that type of situation. The point I am making is that you can't trust people will handle their dogs accordingly and take the initiative myself. It's too late to argue who is right or wrong if perhaps you had a child with you and half his/her face missing?

wow, where on earth do you walk that you have been lunged at multiple times while just trying to walk past on lead dogs without a dog yourself. Certainly sounds like a dangerous neighbourhood and one to be avoided at all costs.

Nice one, put all the blame on the victim, who did try and avoid the dogs :rolleyes:

I too move off the path when I see people coming be it behind me or in front, I move off the path and put my dogs in a sit/stay till they have past. I do not like my dogs to annoy strangers but if that stranger comes up baby talking to my dogs then I will allow them to say hi.

wow, where on earth do you walk that you have been lunged at multiple times while just trying to walk past on lead dogs without a dog yourself. Certainly sounds like a dangerous neighbourhood and one to be avoided at all costs.

Nice one, put all the blame on the victim, who did try and avoid the dogs :rolleyes:

She may have moved off the footpath but how far from the dog 6 inches? 4 or 5 feet away from a leashed dog and you are pretty safe. I would prefer not to take the chance and give the dog some room is all I am saying, IMHO if you get bitten by a dog on leash you are too close? I have walked out onto the side of the road to avoid small dogs on retractor leads with owners who's dog is all over the place, works for me :D

Well she probably could have avoided it in the same way you can avoid a car accident by not driving but she didn't and that doesn't make what happened her fault. :rolleyes:

Hope she is ok and that the owners are prosecuted.

Oh for pities sake. Who gives a toss how far she was away from the dogs. She moved away from them, and one lunged at her and bit her badly by the sounds of it. How on earth is any of this her fault!!

The bloody dogs should be better trained. Sad state of affairs when a person cannot even walk past dogs on lead without thinking they may get bitten!

She may have moved off the footpath but how far from the dog 6 inches? 4 or 5 feet away from a leashed dog and you are pretty safe. I would prefer not to take the chance and give the dog some room is all I am saying, IMHO if you get bitten by a dog on leash you are too close? I have walked out onto the side of the road to avoid small dogs on retractor leads with owners who's dog is all over the place, works for me :D

I find this completely unacceptable. If dogs were so dangerous that it was reasonable to expect people to cross the road to avoid them, or in this case, get off the footpath and move to unstable/dangerous terrain (be it rocks or road or whatever) then we shouldn't be allowed to own them. I expect owners to warn me of their dog's intentions, if I need to avoid their dog then they need to warn me because I (and everyone else for that matter) has as much right to walk around the neighbourhood as they do in peace. If someone allows their dog to attack you for nothing more than walking past and giving as much room as you could, then they are completely at fault and to leave anyone on the ground injured especially if you and your 'property' are the cause of the injury is absolutely disgusting.

Of course you don't antagonise dogs or people, or ignore warnings, but I truly hope that we never live in a world where it is truly reasonable to expect people to make significant effort to avoid all dogs.

I don't care how far she moved she had every right to walk where she did why should she have to move 4 or 5 feet away, The damn owners of the dog should have had more controll over there dogs and if they damn well knew there dog bites it should have been muzzled.

What gives people with dogs the right to hog all the pathway and not move over and leave room for others to walk by. The dog owners should be the ones to move and have there dogs in a sit/stay and show some courtesy to other people. This lady that was bitten showed courtesy by moving so why couldn't the damn owners of that dog do the same.

On my local council site about dog control it states;

'' A person in charge of a dog must not allow the dog to worry chase or threaten another person or dog.""

The onus was on the ''person in charge'' of the dog not to allow the dog to be able to bite someone.

I just wanted to advise and warn that my friend was attacked while walking (on her own) around her estate in Lyndhurst last night.

She was walking and an 'older couple" (she described them as having grey hair) walked towards her on the footpath with 3 dogs, on lead, one Jack Russell and 2 unidentified, medium sized breed, black and brown dogs.

As she approached, she walked onto the naturestip to go around them as 2 people and 3 dogs take up the entire footpath and as she walked around, one of the black/brown dogs lunged and bit her on the calf quite badly. She fell to the ground, calf gashed and bleeding and the guy asked her "if he got her" which was blatantly obvious. My friend started crying and said yes, and the couple turned and walked off quickly.

My friend was upset and in shock and so couldn't run after them.

So please be warned if you are in that area and see this couple. We are currently trying to establish where they live to make a report. Any information would also be welcome.

Hi Pawprints.

I am sorry to hear that your friend has been attacked by a dog.

There are a couple of issues that I think might help.

Firstly, your friend should not have had to walk around the couple and their dogs as a footpath is a public thoroughfare.

It is an offense to obstruct a public thoroughfare.

I like to keep my dogs on the opposite side of oncoming pedestrians.

16 Offences where dog attacks person or animal

(1) If a dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal (other than vermin), whether or not any injury is caused to the person or animal:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the time of the offence and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time--that other person,

is guilty of an offence. Maximum penalty:

18 Dog that has attacked or bitten may be secured or seized

(1) If a dog attacks or bites any person or animal (except vermin) otherwise than in the circumstances referred to in section 16 (2), an authorised officer may, at any time within 72 hours after the attack or bite:

(a) secure the dog on property that the officer has reason to believe is occupied by the dog's owner, or

(b) seize the dog.

Dogs can become territorial, and one of my dogs will react if it determines that someone out walking is trying to pass between me and the dog.

My point being that the person walking the dog needs to be fully conversant with the dogs behaviour before effective control by a competent person can be enacted.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

I hope this adds to the information you requested.

Px

Edited by Tralee