Advice On Rehoming A 7yr Gsd

Tarka

Most dogs rehome just fine and sometimes they end up in 'better' homes than they were in (not that people like to hear that).

Shit happens, people need to loose the judgemental attitude.

:thumbsup:

+100

I was always one of those who said "I'd NEVER rehome my dog" ... and then it happened to me. I won't go into all the details (suffice to say, severe financial difficulties following a divorce, no family support/backup available locally as they all live on the other side of the country and several other contributing factors), but I ended up in a situation where I was left with no choice but to rehome my 2yo GSD. It broke my heart, as he was literally all I had left, but I couldn't give him any sort of life that a young dog should have - he ended up going to a wonderful home with a couple who adored him, took him everywhere with them, regular trips to the beach, obedience training etc, they had a property outside Perth that they visited regularly where he could have as much free running as he wanted, and they had another dog of a similar age for him to play with. Doggie heaven as far as he was concerned although it still didn't make it any easier leaving him there, like a previous poster I had to pull the car over to the side of the road after I'd taken him to their house, I was crying too hard to be able to drive. He settled in really quickly, ate well and was very happy. They were always asking me to come back and visit, so I went back 5 months later - and he almost broke the front door down when he saw me. I cried like a baby (again), both whilst I was there, and when I left - thankfully he settled down again by the next day, and I decided not to go back again as it was too upsetting for us both. However I did visit again about 4 years later and quite honestly, he didn't know who I was. He was friendly and welcoming, and maybe I might have stirred something in the back of his mind as a long-forgotten memory from his past, but he didn't show any sign that he really remembered me. He was totally their dog, and I was happy for him and for them. I was so glad I did go back for that last visit, as tragically a few months later he died from bloat.

So most dogs certainly can and do adapt when rehomed - it's usually a far worse experience for the person who has to give them up!! My sympathies are with the OP, I know how hard it was for me to have to rehome my boy, and I'm glad they're taking the responsible step of looking for the best way to find a new home for their dog. As I know only too well, people's circumstances change - sometimes unexpectedly - and you sometimes find yourself having to face doing something that you swore you'd never EVER do. Life often isn't that simple, and I wish the OP the best of luck in rehoming their girl.

Edited by spikey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying anything about whether I believe it's good / bad to rehome a dog for the OP's reasons, but I'd like to add something about older dogs' adjustment when moving to a new family, just in case the OP is interested.

I adopted a greyhound when she was 10 years old. She had been with her previous owner for the past six years. She was his favourite greyhound. She went everywhere with him. The owner told me that this dog had been his constant companion for the past 6 years.

When the owner brought the dog (now named Deanna) to my house and then left, Deanna went to the door in an attempt to go with him. Within a week, Deanna was totally "mine". She has been with me for the past three years and is very happy, and very affectionate towards me. To put it in human / anthropomorphic terms, I am quite confident in saying that Deanna totally "loves" me. :o

Of course, all dogs differ, and perhaps there are breed-related differences (e.g., maybe GSDs are more likely to "wonder" where there family is). But I just thought the OP might like to know a story of a successful rehome of an older dog.

Of course, all dogs differ, and perhaps there are breed-related differences (e.g., maybe GSDs are more likely to "wonder" where there family is). But I just thought the OP might like to know a story of a successful rehome of an older dog.

Considering that thousands and thousands of dogs who find themselves in pounds are adopted successfully every year, I don't think age plays a large part at all.

The oldest dog I adopted was a toy poodle of nearly 17. Lived with me for 3 years until he died at nearly 20. As Kitt says, I would be totally confident that Rover loved me and had he gone to someone else where he was loved, he would have loved them.

This forum is going to the dogs, and not in a good way.

No wonder people never come back, it's like being kicked from all different directions.

Not everyone can own a pet for life, things happen, life happens. Get over it and your holier than thou attitudes.

I hope you can find a great home for your dog, it that is what you choose to do. Good luck either way.

A work colleague just took her 2 seven year old small nervous rescue dogs over to the UK when her husband moved for work. I mention the nervousness because I thought they would be stressed out by the journey but apparently they came out of the crate as if it were no problem at all and are loving chasing squirrels (without sucess) in Primrose Hill. They even flew over on the A380!

But each to their own. It does pay also to check out any breed restrictions in place in any country you are planning to move to because some European countries (not the Netherlands that I know of though) restrict quite a few breeds, Germany and France spring to mind with restrictions on bull breeds for example. Not sure about shepherds but Ireland has a vast list of restricted breeds too.

There's very little in common and a massive price disparity between transporting two little dogs to the UK

and transporting a large GSD to Holland and back.

I don't think so. Many people understand that a breeder can only run on a certain number of kennel dogs, and if not up to breeding it is better that the dog is rehomed as a pet. The decision is often made before the breeding is done.

That is different from a person taking a pet into their home. How many breeders would be happy to sell a pet dog (of any age) to a family that was unprepared to keep it long term? What if that puppy buyer told the breeder that they had always wanted to work overseas and as soon as they were offered an opportunity to do so they would no longer be wanting the dog?

The OP here is claiming that it is something they have always wanted to do. So why did they buy a dog? This is not comparable at all with breeders that have to rehome unsuitable dogs in order to improve the breed as a whole.

A bit of realism please.

Just because I might want to do x y z

does not mean it is a likely the opportunity or the capacity will present itself.

Edited by lilli

I just couldn't conceive of leaving my two behind - after seven years of emotional input. But I guess we all have different priorities.

Or bank balances.

Or size dogs.

Or knowledge of the Quarantine system.

:rolleyes:

In my opinion, a dog like a GSD will cope with three months in quarantine better than it will cope with losing it's owner of seven years.

Is going to Amsterdam what you wanted to do when you bought this dog? Your post doesn't make much sense. If working overseas is something you always wanted to do, it would have been easier for you if you had done it before committing to a dog. Taking a dog to live in Europe isn't too difficult, but it will cost you more money than going alone.

This is the information you need to bring a dog into Australia. You might want to read it before getting rid of the dog.

AQIS

How do GSDs cope in quarantine?

An old GSD through some of the more popular stop over airports, are you kidding?

Edited by lilli

People need to back off.

The OP was asking how to go about it, not if she should/shouldn't

Until it happened to me i was very much a dog is for life

Things happen, life happens - good luck with rehoming, i am sure she will settle in with a new family

MOST Dogs of all ages usually cope really well with re homing.

You all need to step back a little. As a breeder I always tell puppy buyers to call me first if their situation changes and they can no longer keep the puppy.

Let's all be realistic life can suck at times, it all falls apart, you may move, may be left alone or perhaps with children whose priorities come first etc etc.

I only recently helped one of my puppy buyers find a new home for their 1 year old dog, I advertised and screened all of the phone calls, of which I had quite a few and then passed on a couple that I thought were suitable and yes we did find the dog a wonderful new home where it has settled right in.

So please contact your dogs breeder and I am sure they will be more than willing to help you out.

The decision of re homing your dog is never easy to make. I think that the OP is being very realistic, trying to organize a new home for her dog now and not leaving it until the last moment.

I have to agree that the OP came here in order to get help with what would be the best way to rehome their dog. They have not reached the decision lightly and all they ask is for some compassionate advice or suggestions. This forum is becoming so nasty and judgmental that I know for a fact a lot of first time posters who are coming here to seek help are feeling so unfairly condemned they do not return.....how does this bashing of people help any dogs at all?

If the OP asks for opinions then please feel free to jump in boots and all - if they are asking for advice either give constructive advice or shut up.

Too harsh??

Guest lavendergirl

Does anyone know if there is a service available for rehoming dogs in a situation like the OP?

Something where the owner would pay a fee to cover the costs plus some. I imagine it would be really hard for a regular dog owner to rehome their dog as they don't have the knowledge or connections, which, in turn can lead to a poor outcome for the dog.

I know that I often see ftgh ads and I always wonder how they manage to find an appropriate home. My local Freecycle group often has dogs on offer.

I guess that a lot of people wouldn't be prepared to pay for someone to help rehome.

I think that a lot of people would be willing to pay for a service such as this - it would be a great idea. I imagine that many people experiencing stresses of some sort in their lives may not be able to cope with trying to find a good home for their dog - however much they love them - and surrender them to shelters. I am sure that many would be willing to pay a fee for screening of potential adopters and placement in a good home. I have seen one rescue group that allows private adoptions to be placed on their website but does not take a role in finding the home. Perhaps a private adoption scheme of some sort would take a lot of pressure off rescue groups?

This forum is going to the dogs, and not in a good way.

No wonder people never come back, it's like being kicked from all different directions.

Not everyone can own a pet for life, things happen, life happens. Get over it and your holier than thou attitudes.

I hope you can find a great home for your dog, it that is what you choose to do. Good luck either way.

I just couldn't conceive of leaving my two behind - after seven years of emotional input. But I guess we all have different priorities.

Or bank balances.

Or size dogs.

Or priorities! This is not a case of unforeseen difficulty. It's a case of prioritising a preferred lifestyle and is no different from rehoming a dog because there is a new baby in the house.

I don't think it is fair to compare the OP's situation with those who had no choice but to give up their dogs due to medical or financial reasons.

I totally agree that in many situations it is better to rehome a dog. There could be a number of reasons including new babies, new lifestyle, lack of time. And the dog would definitely do better in a home where it is given a high priority.

And for those who replied that because people don't give birth to dogs it is silly to claim that dogs are forever, I wonder what you will say about adopted children.

To me dogs are definitely forever. They are a part of my family. I know that everyone doesn't feel that way.

And to those who say that everyone who can't offer constructive advice regarding rehoming should shut up, I would advice that you read the posts. No one has been nasty. But some people do feel strongly about dogs being rehomed due to lifestyle preference.

Or bank balances.

Or size dogs.

Or priorities! This is not a case of unforeseen difficulty. It's a case of prioritising a preferred lifestyle and is no different from rehoming a dog because there is a new baby in the house.

I don't think it is fair to compare the OP's situation with those who had no choice but to give up their dogs due to medical or financial reasons.

I totally agree that in many situations it is better to rehome a dog. There could be a number of reasons including new babies, new lifestyle, lack of time. And the dog would definitely do better in a home where it is given a high priority.

And for those who replied that because people don't give birth to dogs it is silly to claim that dogs are forever, I wonder what you will say about adopted children.

To me dogs are definitely forever. They are a part of my family. I know that everyone doesn't feel that way.

And to those who say that everyone who can't offer constructive advice regarding rehoming should shut up, I would advice that you read the posts. No one has been nasty. But some people do feel strongly about dogs being rehomed due to lifestyle preference.

I don't think choosing to move overseas is anywhere near the same as having no choice but to rehome a dog.

Or bank balances.

Or size dogs.

I don't think choosing to move overseas is anywhere near the same as having no choice but to rehome a dog.

God forbid that anyone on this forum who's a dog owner might see it differently. :(

This isn't a competition about who lubs their puppy the mostest. This is a person who has made a hard decision that rehoming is in the best interests of the dog and is behaving responsibly about it.

Patricia McConnell said it and I agree "there is no shame in rehoming a dog if it goes to a more suitable home than the one it's in".

In this case the person has decided that rehoming will be better for the dog than transport to a foreign country and return through quarantine. Their dog, their decision. They know it best. I certainly don't think its a given that every dog will cope with quarantine. Three months or more in a kennel run for a house dog? Some dogs would be stressed beyond belief.

Provided the dog goes to a good home then frankly I think people should stop applying THEIR priorities to this situation and butt out. Those who think their dogs will grieve and never recover from being parted from them probably need to get a grip. MOST dogs adapt remarkably well to new homes.

Save the condemnation for those who take their dogs to the pound when they become 'inconvienient' for ANY reason.

Edited by Telida Whippets

When i came here 15 years ago i had one dog pts, and rehomed one with my best friend, both had medical conditions, both elderly, i was not going to decline a chance of a new life for myself and child.

SHOOT AWAY!!!!

The op has made the call, now lets not judge, but help,less of this " holier than thou" crap. :(

Or bank balances.

Or size dogs.

God forbid that anyone on this forum who's a dog owner might see it differently. :(

This isn't a competition about who lubs their puppy the mostest. This is a person who has made a hard decision that rehoming is in the best interests of the dog and is behaving responsibly about it.

Patricia McConnell said it and I agree "there is no shame in rehoming a dog if it goes to a more suitable home than the one it's in".

In this case the person has decided that rehoming will be better for the dog than transport to a foreign country and return through quarantine. Their dog, their decision. They know it best. I certainly don't think its a given that every dog will cope with quarantine. Three months or more in a kennel run for a house dog? Some dogs would be stressed beyond belief.

Provided the dog goes to a good home then frankly I think people should stop applying THEIR priorities to this situation and butt out. Those who think their dogs will grieve and never recover from being parted from them probably need to get a grip. MOST dogs adapt remarkably well to new homes.

Save the condemnation for those who take their dogs to the pound when they become 'inconvienient' for ANY reason.

Oh chill out, I haven't condemned anyone, just gave my opinion, but apparently that's only ok if it has been explicitly asked for by the OP. Of course it's their dog and their decision, I was only making the point that I don't think the two different situations being talked about should be treated the same.

Edited by Aussie3