What Is The Longest Time You've Not Seen Your Dog?

Lisey

As the title suggests, what is the longest amount of time you have gone without seeing your dogs?

I'm planning a overseas holiday for September for 3 weeks and I really want to go, only one thing making me think twice, my two girls!

My mum has already offered to look after them at my place and absolutely loves them and they love when she visits (she is the person who looks after them for a night or two if I'm going somewhere local - and she is the only person I would completely trust with them.) Doesn't mind when they sneak up on the bed in the middle of the night too :)

I know they will be fine, it's just me! How do you do it? Or do you not go away?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been away for more than a couple of nights since I got the first of my dogs 2.5 years ago because I haven't had the money/opportunity. I know I would miss them lots I did go away but as long as I knew they were being well cared for I would definitely go!!

You will miss them but you should still go and enjoy your holiday :)

For us just over a month.

While we moved from NZ to Aus. Our Bullmastiff girls stayed with my parents while we got settled and found a good place to rent. Then we flew them over.

They were so happy to see us but were definitely wondering when they could have dinner as they hadnt had any breakfast that day

:rofl::rofl:

Have also had to kennel three Bullmastiffs for about 10 days. The place we use looks after them so well. And we kennel them when we go back home for a holiday. Now we have the Bulldog it is going to be a bit of a worry.

edited cause I had spelling mistakes that were so funny. :D

Edited by Bullbreedlover

I also get anxious when we go away but I look at it like I did when my children were younger. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and a more relaxed, happier me equals a happier them :thumbsup:

Having said the longer has been 10 days so not huge in the scheme of things and my now adult children looked after them at my home with strict instruction (written) :laugh:

Longest I've been away (excluding being in hospital because the OH was still home with them) would be a week, about two years ago.

Because we have foster dogs all the time, it's hard to plan anything. Our last holiday (which was the first in quite a while) ended up only being two nights away. I had someone reliable and expreienced with the hounds to feed them (and someone else to come over a few times a day to check on them) but I still spent the whole time worrying.

Recently, we had a Darwin holiday planned for 10 days. This would've been the longest time I was away from the dogs - but then, my fiance's father passed away, and we returned to Adelaide one day of the 10 for the funeral. So, in reality, I think about 7-8 days would be the max I've been away (on another trip).

I don't miss them so much as I just feel lost! When I go away, I normally take the dogs with me (normally I go away to dog shows), and I always feel like there's something 'missing' in the car. Frequent moments of, "Shit, where's the dog?!" and then remembering that I'm supposed to be having a relaxing time without them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is anxious about leaving their dogs....

I went away for 2 nights over Christmas break and was checking in morning and night with my mum to see how they were... And they were fine! I think they are better behaved for her :)

I'm also thinking of getting a treadmill sometime soon and teaching them to walk on it so mum doesn't have to walk them - I walk them separately and think that would be too big of an ask....

Just short of 3 weeks. I enjoyed my time away and I enjoyed the break from the walking/ feeding etc routines. I knew he was being well looked after - I checked in a few times but that was it.

My dog is a part of my life - he is not my life so I have no issues in going away if I want.

Six weeks, I was in Sydney having skin grafts and treatment to my arm. Smooch was only six months old, when I got home I got the shock of my life to find he had lost a lot of weight and had also forgot me, After a couple of hours he worked out who I was. These days I can't leave him for more than about four hours, in summer not even for that long as he won't eat or drink if I am not home. It is a real issue. Our other dogs couldn't care less if we are not around.

If your dog's are happy when you are not around they should be fine. I think it all just depends on the dogs.

Sonny is 4 in June & I have never left him over night. We go on Hols but my 2 furry kids come too, otherwisw we don't go.

It would be a waste of time to leave them anywhere cause I would just worry myself sick

Totally my choice to do so though.

My oldest is 6 in May and I have never been away overnight, the longest I have been away is a whole day. Like BC craze if we/I go on a trip, they come too, if they can't come I don't go! God help me if I have to have a stay in hospital anytime, don't think I would cope. :laugh:

I went away for 53 days last year to go to Canada and Alaska, and left my fluff loves with my brother. I was stressing out before I had left about leaving them but knew they would be fine with my brother. I left instructions with my family and friends not to tell me if they missed me as I would of been on the next plane home. My brother did an amazing job. A friend was also keeping an eye on my brother to make sure he was looking after them and told me that they were a little lost for the first two days and after that they were fine. But when I got home they went nuts they were so happy to see me they did zoomies for about 10 minutes.

So trust me when I say they will be fine. This was the first time I have been away from my dogs ever. It took the longest time for me to decide to go I'm glad I did but it will be awhile before I leave them for a long time again

Probably only 4 nights with both of us away (because of our work schedules, not the dog). MIL stayed at our house and took care of everything. Longest stint OH has been away since we've had the dog would be 4-5 weeks.

Sonny is 4 in June & I have never left him over night. We go on Hols but my 2 furry kids come too, otherwisw we don't go.

It would be a waste of time to leave them anywhere cause I would just worry myself sick

Totally my choice to do so though.

Same here i stress our if they are not with us. Plus i think Mason would honestly freak out without me