Suggestions Please

Alibi

Hi, My 12yr old PomX has just the other day been diagnosed with two massive tumours (hemangiosarcoma) in her abdomen and has only been give a few weeks to live due to the spread and what they are attached to in her body.

She is still happy in herself and is on medications but her appietite isnt great, i have given her with varying success roast chicken, egg, tucker time, canned tuna and mince cooked and raw whatever way she will take it.

Can anyone suggest some other tasty foods i havent thought of yet? She eats a tiny amount per day and im supplementing with nutri-gel twice a day.

Its all come as a massive shock and i cant stop fussy over her to make her comfy and happy doing things she loves with the time she has left. :(

Edited by Alibi

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your little dog. :cry: .. that must be just devastating... whilst I don't have any suggestions for food as you have covered what I have fed mine in the past when they have been sick, I just wanted to to express my sympathy :hug:

I'm so sorry. That would've been a huge shock for you. I'd be doing the same trying to make everything as comfortable for her as possible.

What I'd suggest, it seems you're already doing, especially using the nutrigel. Only additional suggestion is that liquids can be a bit easier to take in and digest. Like, the juice out of cans of salmon... or chicken simmered in water to make a tasty broth. Put some small diced sweet potato in with the chicken and blend it in with the strained liquid.

My Tibbie girls have a spoonful of Vaalia Natural Probiotic Yoghurt on their meals. Would your girl like some, too?

Guest donatella

Poor poor darling what a horrific shock for you all :( can we see a pic? (I love my poms)

I know mine loves cheese and most meats as treats

Thanks guys, i just got her to eat a few mouth full's of cooked lamb mince. I tried her with cheese and no luck, and tried the cat food. She ate alittle smoked salmon last night but as one of the tumours is attached to her pancrease, pancreatitis is a real risk with food like that but i will get a tin of salmon in water i think.

Trying to attach a pic of the little monkey, hope it works.

Just sucks, this time last weekend i thought i had a healthy dog :( She was so well.

Oh I big hugs for you!!! I just put down my horse so I know how you feel I just tried my best to make his last days as comfortable as possible.

You may just have to keep on doing what your doing now and try different foods.

Yoghurt might work just a little bit mix in with maybe some chicken mince?

And maybe just give her lots of little bits of food during the day not all at once?

Hugs to you Alibi... and happy vibes for your little one for the time she has left with you.

My dogs go nuts for rice boiled with a chicken stock cube in the water when they are feeling a bit poorly - might be worth a try, and fairly low in fat for her Pancreas.

I've had Pancreatitis, and I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone or anything... not pleasant at all!

The yoghurt suggestion is a good one if she will eat it...

What is your little one's name?

T.

Guest lavendergirl

So sorry about your little dog :( . Does she like any of the canned food? Natures Gift in the small vacuum packs are quite nutricious and tasty - especially the beef in gravy and lamb varieties.

I too am sorry to hear about your little dog, poor you and poor her.

I hope you don't mind me writing this on loading a photo, especially as you are devastated about your little sweetie, but it will help you to know that others can see how lovely she is.

If you load your photos into Picasa, you can edit (and name)them there and then click on the photo you want and that photo will appear down at the bottom of the page.

Click on that photo (it'll then have a blue outline on it) and then click the 'Export' symbol, a little box will appear with 'Export to folder' on it...

there is a 'Browse' dropdown box...choose 'desktop' then resize to around 450-500 pixels.

Go to your DOL post and down the bottom of your reply page is a 'Browse' button, click this and choose 'Desktop', find your named photo and click 'open' then click the 'Attach this File' on your reply page...it should load,

then click the little 'Add to Post' that will appear and the piccie should appear in your post.

Just check by clicking the 'Preview post' option

So sorry to hear about your little one :(

In regards to foods, I am not much help (I have a lab who eats anything :o), what you are doing currently seems to work well for most dogs.

Additionally you could try giving her some of whatever you're eating, I often find human leftovers are highly valued. BBQ chicken is also a favourite as well as sausages, roast, salmon etc.

Tinned A/D is also good but may be a little rich. I know when my dog was really sick she could not tolerate it very well and i/d was better for her.

This is Tala (thanks Boronia :D ). Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a few things to add for the shopping list tomorrow now. Will have to get some a/d too for when i need it and i can syringe it.

post-4191-0-95833100-1329647083_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alibi

ooh what a lovely littl lassie she is too.

i have found that constant change of food offered helps.. and if it is cooked/ warmed also seems to help. My Lucinda started eating after nearly a week when i offered hermy tasmanian salmon stirfry.. so i bought more for her next meal and alli got was a withering look which i suspect was meant to turn me into a lump of coal or worse. shewould eat chicken sausages, lamb gourmet sausages, prime beef mince.. cooked. sometimes BBQ chicken ..

Good Luck i know what you are going thru..

Blessings to you both on this journey

Helem