Dry Dog Food

DobieMum

Hi, I need some help. I've been feeding my guys Royal Canin. But the purse stings have been tightened (really tight) and so now, I'm looking for a mid range product (around the $50 mark for at least 15 kgs). I'm in the far north, so unless I can buy it from the local petstores, or horsefeed stores, I have to have the price of shipping built into it. I have a large breed dog and a small breed, they also get any table scraps and bones at least once a week, plus my big boy gets fish oil. Any ideas?

Have you thought about feeding raw. That tends to be cheaper than feeding dry. Chicken frames, mince, mixed with pureed veggies, some sardines or mackerel, egg and lamb necks/ off cuts etc when you can afford it. And can also add extras, vitamin c, brewers yeast, etc I worked out I pay about $50 a week( and I can't get my meat here as cheap as some places) to feed 4 bullmastiffs and 2 small dogs. So it would cost you heaps less to feed One big and one small dog especially if you can source your meat cheaper than I can. The other option if you don't have time for preparing it all, is buy some Vets All Natural complete mix and mix that with the mince 3-4 times a week.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

No for the Dogue, the signitures old and I haven't changed it yet, suppose I ought to. I don't even have that dobie anymore. :laugh:

Edited to fix signiture problem

Edited by Pauchel

Bonnie.

$40-$45 for 20kg so not the cheapest out there but works better for mine than Black Hawk which made them fat & lose muscle tone (yes I did reduce their food intake thanks :)); Royal Canin didn't go down well here, one fussy miss woulnd't touch it, it made another one vomit quite a lot. Other top end food did agree with them and made them look good too, but frankly no better than Bonnie with meat, eggs, sardines and bones. Used Uncle Albers too and they were fine, except for the young dog who just didn't seem right on it - he's 100% better on Bonnie.

I would suggest raw too - only reason I don't feed 100% raw any more is lack of freezer space and it's just too expensive to buy for a lot of dogs unless you can buy in bulk. For one or two dogs, definitely check it out!

Guest Willow

I use Supercoat. despite the fact people jump up and down about it and calle it "Supercrap", both my dogs do well on it. I have a staffy and an SWF. They both have nice coats, nice skin, and my staffy has stopped itching since he has been eating it (about 4 years now).

We use Bonnie for my Mum's White Shepherd and my sons ACD X Kelpie (their dinner). The bikkies are never given dry - they get a lovely beef gravy (I make it up) and some raw mince, usually a kanga/beef mix, mixed through the bikkies with it.

They're so healthy, it's ridiculous :)

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like it might be Bonnie, I used to use it, but then went a bit more upmarket with dog food, so I'll try it again. Appreciate the comments, was wondering if there was something new out there. :thumbsup:

Pauchel, if the Bonnie doesn't work I'd definitely try raw. I feed three westies a human grade raw diet for about 10.00 - 15.00 per week plus the occasional treat - includes bones, chicken frames, veg,and Jo's fantastic 'formula'. I genuinely find it much cheaper than feeding dry - and as anther poster said, my guys are ridiculously healthy - and I have the blood test results to prove it!

Good luck with whatever you decide - I know what it feels like to be on a very limited budget yet so want to do the best for your dogs. :)

Bonnie.

$40-$45 for 20kg so not the cheapest out there but works better for mine than Black Hawk which made them fat & lose muscle tone (yes I did reduce their food intake thanks :)); Royal Canin didn't go down well here, one fussy miss woulnd't touch it, it made another one vomit quite a lot. Other top end food did agree with them and made them look good too, but frankly no better than Bonnie with meat, eggs, sardines and bones. Used Uncle Albers too and they were fine, except for the young dog who just didn't seem right on it - he's 100% better on Bonnie.

I would suggest raw too - only reason I don't feed 100% raw any more is lack of freezer space and it's just too expensive to buy for a lot of dogs unless you can buy in bulk. For one or two dogs, definitely check it out!

another suggestion for the bonnie - go the adult complete and not the working dog one.

I feed raw, but my girl does ok on this - and better than on advance....

My dogs all eat Bonnie - all are doing great on it. Adult Complete is our choice.

I used to feed Supercoat - pretty much the same ingredients as the Bonnie, but Bonnie is cheaper for more.

We also feed Bonnie at the rescue I volunteer at - all the dogs are doing well on it there too.

T.

If you have a breeders prefix and register online with royal canine - they now sell 20kg bag free postage to your door for $112

or

BigW and Woolworths sells Optimum 7kg for $30

i use to love purina (proplan, supercoat etc) but i find the product has gone down and the prices have gone up IMO

Edited by Toujour