Death Of A Pet Can Hurt As Much As Loss Of A Relative

Perry's Mum

I haven't read the article, I dont need to, I am still grieving over a dog I lost in 1987. I remember at the time I had to take a day or so off work and I wrote on the medical form that I was greiving over the loss of my dog. Personell rang me because they couldn't believe what I'd written. These days people seem to understand better, but back then...................

Agree Kirislin . I lost my heart dog in 1980 . I was tech at the time re doing my HSC and had 2 weeks off as I just couldn't face anyone .

Boy when I got back and tried to explain I got laughed at . I only said it once after that it was I had the flu .

Guest lavendergirl

I think an added dimension to the grief of losing a pet is that often times we as owners have to make that terrible decision to have them PTS. :(

Aboslutely. I took two days off work when i had to have my heart horse PTS, there are days i still cry about her and it was 3.5 years ago. When my dad had my old dog PTS it broke my heart too; i was in Melbourne and hadn't seen him for months and didn't get to say goodbye.

Generally, i like animals a lot more than most people, beautiful sweet honest things they are.

I don't know...for me it'll depend on the dog.

My little dog Poco that we got when I was 7 is now 14..or 15? And she's on her last little legs (mum doesn't think she'll make it through winter - even with a heated bed and a jacket in the garage/music/games room!) and I'm starting to prepare myself mentally for that :(

She's in Wagga Wagga and I live in WA so the last time I saw her was Christmas just gone....it was probably the last time! Said the longest goodbye...I think I'm in a little bit of denial - thinking that we'll see her again but probably won't...

Put it this way - my nanna described Poco as my pride and joy. :)

IMAG0345-1-picsay.jpg

Poco at Christmas

Edited by Scootaloo

Why should grief be categorised into levels..whatever we feel for someone or something, should be our business..if losing a dog is more painful for someone than losing a relative, why should that be 'wrong'..society always sets the benchmark, but on what do they benchmark against? Grief is grief. I adore my two and when they go I have every intention of grieving for them ...totally.

Guest lavendergirl

My little dog Poco that we got when I was 7 is now 14..or 15? And she's on her last little legs (mum doesn't think she'll make it through winter - even with a heated bed and a jacket in the garage/music/games room!) and I'm starting to prepare myself mentally for that :(

She's in Wagga Wagga and I live in WA so the last time I saw her was Christmas just gone....it was probably the last time! Said the longest goodbye...I think I'm in a little bit of denial - thinking that we'll see her again but probably won't...

IMAG0345-1-picsay.jpg

Poco at Christmas

Poco is gorgeous and looks very bright - you never know she may have longer in her than you think, lets hope so. :)

We lost my husband on 2nd October last year and Ollie dog on 25th October last year.. About 3 weeks apart...

I think the thing about the 2 losses which made it hard was the fact that there were so many who lost Dan but it honestly felt like it was only me who lost Ollie...

I felt like my heart and soul had been ripped out at the time... Don't get me wrong it still hurts like hell most days but you have to keep going because there are bills to pay, work to do and others who need your support...

I don't doubt that for some losing a pet is as or more, in some cases, worse than losing a human

Why should grief be categorised into levels..whatever we feel for someone or something, should be our business..if losing a dog is more painful for someone than losing a relative, why should that be 'wrong'..society always sets the benchmark, but on what do they benchmark against? Grief is grief. I adore my two and when they go I have every intention of grieving for them ...totally.

Totally agree here. It would also depend on the relative for me.

Poco at Christmas

Poco is gorgeous and looks very bright - you never know she may have longer in her than you think, lets hope so. :)

Thankyou :) I really hope so too :)

Apparently my little brother (6yo) has decided that he wants his next dog to be a Kelpie and he's gonna call him Wok :p

Well said.

I agree, grief is personal.

Sometimes the relationship you have with a person unrelated is stronger than "blood" relations, why is it so hard to understand that a loss is a loss?

I lost my cat last week, I'm ashamed to say I didn't own up at work that I took the day off because I was a wreck. When I cry at work, people just think it's my cold making my eyes red. She was 21 years old, and we were hardly a day apart in all that time. I'd like to think the love was unconditional both ways, there is only my OH who has been in my life as intensely and for as long. My grief for her is still intense. I didn't grieve less for my dog who died at 14, although she was "only" mine for 12 years. I think the relationship and our grief for our human companions can be different, but the effects and intensity can be similar. The pangs of grief for our pets can be stirred up more frequently than for some relatives, as you walk form room to room, when you get home and they're not there, when you find a wisp of fur unexpectedly. For most relatives, they don't occupy your personal space as completely as our pets, and the reminders can be less frequent. When my Grandma passed away, there was intense grief, but the reminders weren't as constant.

For me the grief over the loss of a special dog is painfull.

I was at the dentist today for my annual check up, first words from my dentist "where is Zedley?", I very nearly burst into tears when I had to tell him that Zedley wnt to the Bridge on 28th December 2011.

I think of the boy everyday, and as he used to go almost everywhere with me many people miss him too!