Dogzonline Forum

Steve

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are hardly any threads about the APBT in comparison to most threads that go awry on this forum. It's clear that you have an issue with the breed, but if you keep constantly bringing them up, especially in threads like this with no relevance whatsoever you will find you sometimes get responses you aren't happy with. I've never seen anyone be rude to you, only try and explain that your perception is incorrect and based on emotion rather than fact.

There are plenty of breeds I don't like and I'd never own. But I wouldn't be so rude as to constantly bring them up and not only attack the dogs but the owners as you now have.

You are not joking, are you?? Are you serious, who brought you up??

Guest lavendergirl

Sorry to spoil the warm fuzzy feelings but this forum is depressing and alienating for those who are not having such a wonderful DOL experience. :(

We all have a "trial by fire" padraic... hang in there, and you'll make some really great friends around here... honest!

T.

Yep the baptism of fire is very much alive and well, it's a shame and I don't really think it should be that way. Hopefully as social networking evolves the mechanisms of courtesy and respect that are integral in most other forms of social interactions will become more and more uniform across this medium as well.

I dont call it a baptism by fire - its about learning how to play the game.

The more you play the better you get at it. It takes a minute to learn that you cant just say what ever you think including being rude without consequence.

Being here doesn't give a licence to say it all out loud.

Many times Ive wanted to say "wake up dickhead" or I would really like a topic to go away sooner than others are ready to let it go.Sometimes Ive laughed my head off about how stupid someone is sounding and Ive been known to walk out into the paddock to yell something out of my system before I respond.I sometimes want to ask "are you on the Grog?" or tell someone to "grow up"

Often what Im thinking passes quickly and I forget it in a heartbeat. If I say what I'm thinking at the time I run the risk of hurting someone or having an issue with that person that I never really intended doing.

You have to always remember some things as part of the game.

+One is never take anything anyone says here that's negative personally.They don't know you or what you live with and have no licence to judge you.It says more about them than you.

+ Play the rules- the ball and not the man or the umpire will send you off and someone will give you a clip.

You don't know who you are interacting with and whether they are in a really bad place - some people who come here are depressed,dying,lonely,suicidal,grieving etc and its not O.K. to just blurt out what you think and attack them and hurt them. Basically before you hit the enter button you need to consider how you would feel if someone said this to you.

+ if ever the experience is more negative than positive and stops being fun walk away - its supposed to be a recreation, something you do to take your mind off crap in your life and learn about dogs and to share with people who understand how dogs are a huge part of your life. If it makes you sad or miserable find a new forum.

Thanks for your thoughts Tdierikx and WoofnHoof. I am in a very bad place Steve and I will take your advice and move on.

Hope things improve for you Padraic.

Even when people don't necessarily see eye to eye on particular topics, this place can bring them together when it is needed... which is pretty amazing actually.

T.

Yes.

Yes from me too. I have seen some amazing things happen because of DOL. To me the good far out weighs any bad.

I feel the same way too Pollywaffle....I'm not a big poster, but I do lurk alot, will post a comment every now & then, & also start a thread every now & then too. I wont generally post in a controversial thread or participate in heated arguments either....just not worth it. :laugh:

But its lovely to feel part of a community that has people with the same love of dogs as I do (we may not all see eye to eye, but atleast we all have that in common ).

I have learnt so much in the 4 years I've been a member,& I find the good always outweighs the bad.

I love how everyone comes together when someone needs support....The recent thread in OT about another Dolers baby step grand daughter comes especially to mind.

I also find even when I'm away from the computer I will often think about threads & worry when a particular dog is sick or when someone is having a problem ect....

Dol really is a wonderful community, & I thank Troy so much for all his hard work & keeping this forum going. :thumbsup:

Edited by Baileys mum

The only positive for me is seeing the pictures of people's gorgeous dogs and sharing stories. Most of my experiences to date haven't been what one would call pleasant... but that's life and I'm not really fussed (if I was I wouldn't be lurking here still :p)

There certainly is a culture to attack anyone that has a differing opinion and I think once that changes and everyone goes from berating people to educating them in a non patronising way, you will find more people stay. Out of all the forum goers I've talked to, none have had a nice thing to say about this particular one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love to hear/see the 'passion' talking when people debate different points of view. The only thing I don't like is when it turns to personal attacks, name calling, things that are directed to the personality of the post's author etc.

That used to occur a lot here on DOL (good strong, even heated, debate, I mean). Controversy is not handled as well as it used to, here, IMO. The threads derail or are derailed a lot faster. Don't know why. But it is still a fantastic community and what I have seen is people having a spat and then the same people rallying for one another when they find out the chips are down in real life for the other.

Edited by Erny

• 1 month later...

O.K. Its come to my attention that we have another doler who is in a bit of need of knowing that she isnt alone - Ill leave that for now but its made me think we need something we can participate in which we can get to them quicker than we can do a quilt .

Something they can look at and keep and know we care about them - calling for ideas- anyone.

Something we did for a friend of ours: We all made up an A4 page, of our daily life, mainly photos etc, like a scrapbook page.. We then sent it to the one person who fowarded it on to our friend in need..

She said it made her feel loved that she wasnt alone. Gave her something to look at and smile. (She put the pages up on the wall for ages)

Something we did for a friend of ours: We all made up an A4 page, of our daily life, mainly photos etc, like a scrapbook page.. We then sent it to the one person who fowarded it on to our friend in need..

She said it made her feel loved that she wasnt alone. Gave her something to look at and smile. (She put the pages up on the wall for ages)

Great idea!

Even just a nice card from everyone sent out to one person and forwarded on would be nice. Let us know what we can do Steve

We had only just moved into our new place when the area experienced a storm big enough to bring down a tree. As the tree fell, it ripped out powerlines leaving us without power and heat for 50 hours during the coldest weather in 12 years.

Out of the blue Tintin Jac offered us and our four dogs a warm place to stay despite having only briefly met my OH through last years Secret Santa.

This incredible offer from a person I have never met literally took my breath away.

For me Tintin Jac's offer exemplifies the caring nature of exeptional people that I might never have discovered if it wasn't for DOL.

Can I add some?

Cordelia (Jacq) who was there for me when I was really down in the dumps a few years back and she slapped me back into reality (not literally :laugh: but I needed to hear the truth )

ILTBY who got me keen on photography and even bought me a cute macros lens to get me started :thumbsup:

All the rescue DOLers who I have made such GREAT friends with. I have learnt a lot from many of these people and continue to do so. The support I was given when writing my books was amazing!

Steve you've inspired me to do what I think I can do, but lack the confidence. What you said about me at the MDBA awards was delightful and my mother was gleaming :angel:

Edited by shmoo

O.K. Its come to my attention that we have another doler who is in a bit of need of knowing that she isnt alone - Ill leave that for now but its made me think we need something we can participate in which we can get to them quicker than we can do a quilt .

Something they can look at and keep and know we care about them - calling for ideas- anyone.

Steve as well as jewellery I also do computer graphics and would be happy to either make a calendar with her favourite pics on it, or an A4 poster with pics and text of her choice, or whatever she would like. All these are done on A4 good quality double sided glossy photo paper and posters are laminated. Calendars are professionally wire bound. All you have to do is get in contact with me.

I joined just before my mum passed away and I can't express in words what Dol has done for me and the friends i have made... they pulled me through my darkest days and loneliest of nights :) I could never thank them enough and you know who you are!

I don't post very much on the forums and only stick to certain threads but I have made some awesome friends :D

Sometimes threads make me :eek: or make me :mad or :cry: and :rofl: But I wouldn't want it any other way :D

I credit DOL with introducing me to my husband-to-be :laugh:

Mantis posted a thread on a forum she frequents that was bagging pitbulls. I joined that forum so that I could post, met a few people on there, ended up house-sharing with one of them, who introduced me to a friend, who introduced me to the ex-girlfriend of my now fiancee :rofl: (I never said it wasn't a six-degrees-kinda-thing :D )

I met my fiance completely randomly over the internet, turns out I know his ex through DOL :thumbsup: Sure is six-degrees!