Dogzonline Forum

Steve

When the Black Saturday fires were happening, I was comforted to know people here were thinking of me and wishing me well and even offering help. I cannot express how much it meant to me at the time.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a postcard sent to the person from all the different parts of Australia or the world can help. All those people in all those different places.

yes, the Christmas card thread always creates good feelings and makes many people feel they count.

We just need someone to collect then on send.

We had only just moved into our new place when the area experienced a storm big enough to bring down a tree. As the tree fell, it ripped out powerlines leaving us without power and heat for 50 hours during the coldest weather in 12 years.

Out of the blue Tintin Jac offered us and our four dogs a warm place to stay despite having only briefly met my OH through last years Secret Santa.

This incredible offer from a person I have never met literally took my breath away.

For me Tintin Jac's offer exemplifies the caring nature of exeptional people that I might never have discovered if it wasn't for DOL.

:o

Oh gosh, a bit embarrassed now! I think it would be really crap to lose power for so long when you have just moved so far. When you move, you just want to get settled, sorted and get a chance to have a nice cuppa. We have plenty of room because we are only doing respite atm so would have been able to help if needed. I still owe you a cuppa...hopefully before the next storm!

DOLers have been very good to me too. Thanks most recently to Panto for all the effort you have gone to for me. I really appreciate it :)

Also, Clyde put a smile on my dial when her parcel of goodies arrived. I had bought some girls clothes from her and quite a few extra items arrived which were all gorgeous. Made my day :D

I remember a few years back when Cordelia was having a tough christmas Dolers sent her parcels with christmas decorations and her favourite lollies. She kept getting parcel after parcel coming from all over australia in the mail :thumbsup:

Maybe we could do something similar sent to a central address (due to privacy). It could be limited to envelope or small parcel size, big enough for cards, letters, vouchers, gift cards or just a little trinket etc.

Edited by gillbear

O.K. Its come to my attention that we have another doler who is in a bit of need of knowing that she isnt alone - Ill leave that for now but its made me think we need something we can participate in which we can get to them quicker than we can do a quilt .

Something they can look at and keep and know we care about them - calling for ideas- anyone.

Even a postcard sent to the person from all the different parts of Australia or the world can help. All those people in all those different places.

This is a great idea Jigsaw, if one doler purchased a photo album with say 2 or 4 slots per page then every one interested could send a post card to that person and they could copy the messagae on the back and put it in the slot next to / above / below the postcad it was sent on.

I dont mind helping out again but i cant take on another huge project as my illness wont allow me unfortunatly.

Edited by Rainy

I credit DOL with introducing me to my husband-to-be :laugh:

Mantis posted a thread on a forum she frequents that was bagging pitbulls. I joined that forum so that I could post, met a few people on there, ended up house-sharing with one of them, who introduced me to a friend, who introduced me to the ex-girlfriend of my now fiancee :rofl: (I never said it wasn't a six-degrees-kinda-thing :D )

I've had some incredibly kind DOLers care for my beautiful Tess when I went through a sh*t of a family time...

I've also had the lovely lilypily look after our hairy beasties whilst I've been undergoing tests at hospital AND the incredibly talented and lovely huga is doing the photography for our wedding! :happydance:

Pheebs, you owe me big time. :rofl:

DOL helped me because when APBT's were put on the banned list, I got a lot of support & suggestions for dealing with the restrictions that I was meant to go through, plus have met many wonderful Dolers in person & shared many good times.

Now I have found out about Pacers, it has given me a reason to look forward to the future, when I had given up hope & was just waiting to join my Kenny across the Bridge.

A few very lovely DOLers sent me a care package when a puppy I'd had for a few days had died, and another sent me a package of my favourite coconut MnMs because she'd seen on Facebook that I'd been a little down.

:thankyou:

Never give up hope mantis...Kenny will wait :hug:

Hell yes - we can use you Mantis.

Im sorry I missed your call - had to take the kid to footy training but Ill give you a call tomorrow after lunch.

O.K. Its come to my attention that we have another doler who is in a bit of need of knowing that she isnt alone - Ill leave that for now but its made me think we need something we can participate in which we can get to them quicker than we can do a quilt .Something they can look at and keep and know we care about them - calling for ideas- anyone.

photos/postcards of all the different places/towns/beaches ? :)

If they are near a city ..then maybe an experience thing like these on SCOOPON ?

or could everyone draw/craft some sort of HUG , and send?

Edited by persephone

Im sorry I missed your call - had to take the kid to footy training but Ill give you a call tomorrow after lunch.

I have Doctors appointments tomorrow afternoon, but I will be home after 4pm.

I have Doctors appointments tomorrow afternoon, but I will be home after 4pm.

No worries Ill catch you then.

I absolutely loved my "Lucky Duck". And (ok .... I'm about to be embarressed but ....) I felt good about the Angel charm also sent to me - one that was there to look over me. I had much going on at the time and admit to feeling as though the rug had been pulled from under me. These sorts of things .... stuff that really brought to my attention how many people really cared when I could not have thought so much of myself to believe it. Oh - and I point Lucky Duck in the direction of others whom I know need help and ask her to send her luck to them now.

I really like the idea of the post-cards with messages and having it collated. I still know the feeling of warmth I felt when people wrote in here to DOL .... and the support it gave me.

I also really love the idea of postcards collected and placed in a photo album. Being a postcard, we'll each be able to write our own special messages on the back. It's a really lovely idea! :D

Edited to say: I too have had horrible experiences here on DOL, however, I'll admit that it's mostly because of myself and HUUUUGE over-reacting.

I'm learning to keep my cool and my mouth shut -- well ... more like think about what I say before I say it.

On the other hand, I've met some truly fantabulous people and learned a LOT about so many different breeds (Wazzat's gorgeous Xolos come to mind!!). For that information I'll be forever grateful, and I'll always relish being able to talk to people who share my love for dogs as much as I do!!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

RSA I just wanted to acknowledge that I think it is really great when people can see that sometimes we get over emotive in our posts and take things personally and that you have still been able to continue on after having those experiences :thumbsup:

This forum really can be wonderful. The amount I have learnt here is fantastic, but what struck me most was when I was a very new poster and had a lot of personal issues that made things very difficult with my kelpie. To be honest I expected to be eaten alive for considering rehoming but a lot of DOLers took the time to help me see that it really was for the best for me and for my dog. I'm still thankful for all the kind words and support, this place got me through that rough time :)